115 replies to this topic

#41 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

Squeak Squeak Mother F***ers

• Administrators
  • Others: GWRS 2.0 Supporter, GWRS Governing Council
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:15 PM

Used games here are important because the new games are $125-$140 plus DLC. Used they are closer to $60 + $5-10 online pass. In America and the UK used games are not so significant because price gouging isn't as prolific. Sony and Microsoft (and Apple) are actually being investigated by the Australian Commerce Commission for price fixing and extortionate marketing techniques (example: justifying an 85% price markup on exchange rate fees and digital tax - note there is no digital tax)

Do Not XBL-Message or PM Me Website or Community Issues/Requests.
Use The Support Centre Instead!

cruSig2.jpg

#42 Doomdrinker1

Doomdrinker1

Brother Icarus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:18 PM

Look I understand that people don't have the spare money to buy new all the time but the redution and removle of used will make games cheaper.
Devs have to price games higher and higher to keep the dev team afloat (seriously that shit cost millions a year to run) because they now that there only source of income is the first sale of a new game (digital is differant but still only one sale) now if they made money from every sale of that game then they could price them cheaper (and will the PC gameing market is a perfect example) cause they know they will be able to make money from the game for the products whole life span not just the begining.
Posted Image

#43 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

• Administrators
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:22 PM

I'm going to have to disagree there; everytime something drives up the price to a point that becomes the socially accepted norm, and that thing is then removed - the price does not drop.

cruSig2.jpg

#44 Doomdrinker1

Doomdrinker1

Brother Icarus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:25 PM

Still you can't disagree that PC games get sale's and discounts all the time even on new titles.
Posted Image

#45 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

• Administrators
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:30 PM

Still you can't disagree that PC games get sale's and discounts all the time even on new titles.

Only through digital distribution systems like Steam and only when not done by a large publisher. On Steam you can set different region prices if you wish, back when EA was still on Steam we used to pay full retail price for their games.

As for retail copies of PC games, few stores stock them anymore because the profit margin is so low. The best way for us to get them is actually through a reseller who imports US copies and sells them on with Cost + 5% price.

As I said, used games are critical part of market in AUSNZ. It sucks utterly and I really wish it wasn't so. However that's the main reason I would bet on the PS4 being dominant "down under"

cruSig2.jpg

#46 JC 042

JC 042

Sons of The Fallen clan leader

• GWRS Governing Council
  • Others: GWRS 2.0 Supporter
  • 9,552 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:33 PM

But the chances of that ever being on consoles are still really slim. As Cru said, the current price bar is the norm, and even the argument that now they are making more money and it will go down it still won't because they could and would stick with norm which would give them more money.

I think all publishers should be smaller and instead there are simply more of them, make the industry more competitive to pressure them into lower prices and better games to go against competitors.

Posted Image

JC: 99% Anime, 1% hot gas

#47 Doomdrinker1

Doomdrinker1

Brother Icarus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:41 PM

Yes new games are still the same price on digital as on retail but that is because the retailers pressure the devs and publishers to make sure it is the same price or they wont stock there games.

Personaly i still think the death of used games would be benefit games.

But on the flipsid you seem to be ignoring the fact that microsoft has struck deals with the big retailer about used games so we will still have them but only from the big company's kicking the little sole trader in the balls there but still used is still going to claw its way back from the grave.
Posted Image

#48 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

• Administrators
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:48 PM

We only have 1 used game trader here (EB Games, subsidiary of Gamestop). Our main game purchase and trading place is an Auction website

cruSig2.jpg

#49 JACCX023

JACCX023

Guardian of the kitchen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:53 AM

what JC said but really even people with kids do rent games you can be as grown up as you want but still a lot of people rent games to try them out gaming and renting do not requiere age

Quick edit: i just found the second part of angry joes rant lol

A true warrior is never afraid to employ more unconventional tatics!
Posted Image

#50 xxxblackspider

xxxblackspider

Kasrkin

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:41 AM

I'm going to have to disagree there; everytime something drives up the price to a point that becomes the socially accepted norm, and that thing is then removed - the price does not drop.

Incorrect, Prime example: Gasoline, at least in america used to be like $4.50 a gallon in some places, now its like $3.50
Posted Image

#51 JACCX023

JACCX023

Guardian of the kitchen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:48 AM

Well we just had an increase in gasoline a month ago it was even on the news i can see who we can blame for that hahahaha anyways my grandpa used to work in pemex before retiring (a mexican company that works with oil/gasoline)

Im to lazzy to write everything soo im gonna try to tell you a resume when the stock of crude oil you buy from other countries like canada mexico irak and so all the exporter countries runs out you start using your own reserve (obvious lol) wich in the long run does increase the price for the common people maybe not now and not in a couple of years but eventually youll see the prices going up again

Soo you cant say cru is all wrong it may seem they lowered the prices for a time but with this kind of stuff prices will always go up and never down due to a marging of profits they have always work with they can even sell it to like 2 dollars and still make a lot of profit from it
Posted Image

#52 ajar1189

ajar1189

Brother I am Pinned Here!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:06 AM

Only through digital distribution systems like Steam and only when not done by a large publisher. On Steam you can set different region prices if you wish, back when EA was still on Steam we used to pay full retail price for their games.

As for retail copies of PC games, few stores stock them anymore because the profit margin is so low. The best way for us to get them is actually through a reseller who imports US copies and sells them on with Cost + 5% price.

As I said, used games are critical part of market in AUSNZ. It sucks utterly and I really wish it wasn't so. However that's the main reason I would bet on the PS4 being dominant "down under"

Sucks that the prices are that rediculously high. Didn't really think that was the case.

Anyways, with a system that is being implemented by Microsoft you create a medium for digital distribution of games. This would allow for set prices throughout the world (probably no/less tarrifs and no middle-man), and for the above discounts that were mentioned that steam offers on a regular basis.

And yes, EA never offered discounts because they are whores for money and they only care about the green paper in their pockets.

Check out the app called Verge I Created: http://goo.gl/OFW1yl. It's only for android now, but will be out for iPhone in the near future!

It essentially allows you to share your location with your friends, family, coworkers, etc through a group in the app. You can find everyone in your group's location by pressing a button (assuming they respond to the request), and plot it on a map. From there you are given a point that is equidistant from everyone. With this you can find a place to search for and meet up and send this location to everyone in your group telling them thats where you want to meet. There's no need to enter any addresses, and all you need to do is click a few buttons.

#53 JC 042

JC 042

Sons of The Fallen clan leader

• GWRS Governing Council
  • 9,552 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:06 AM

Fuel gets cheaper based on low demand and large supply, and that changes based on the rate we dig up oil. If an oil rig or supply dissapears somehow, there will be lower supply, and if that supply starts running too low then greater demand, all meaning higher prices.

Have you ever watched Day Breakers? It's the exact same with blood.

Video games aren't that risky, we're not all of a sudden gonna run out of disks to dig out the ground :P. What mostly increases prices of games is one publisher increasing the price by such and such then everyone else following suit just so they don't fall behind and that publisher gets rich while they don't, this is the only similarity between oil and games, oil companies work the same way, except they have their reasons of supply and demand, publishers only reasons are that they're getting greedy!

Posted Image

JC: 99% Anime, 1% hot gas

#54 JACCX023

JACCX023

Guardian of the kitchen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:59 AM

Ha yea you got it better than me but i was just giving an example on how games will never be cheap this time around no matter how they wanna dress it anyways thanks for the clearer explanation JC

And i just watched the *official playstation used game instructional video* again man i cant stop my laughter and ohhh my kill zone looks soo good
Posted Image

#55 Brother Agatone

Brother Agatone

The Relentless

• Premium Member
  • Others:
  • 1,320 posts
  • Xbox Live:The Warmaster82

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:08 AM

Ok not sure how we got to talking about consoles to talking about supply and demand of oil, but I'll voice my opinion anyway. As much as I hate Microsoft now for making me pay five hundred instead of four hundred like the ps4. I'm compelled to buy an Xbox one because halo five will xbox one exclusive (I think) and that new game called Ryse which I know is exclusive looks badass, and as much as I dislike having to be continuously online, I do have Internet 24/7 no matter how weak it gets, and hey at least I don't have to buy a kinect with it. Although, to me this is like fifty percent good and fifty percent bad. You get updated graphics, new games, some new abilities that look cool, but then you have the always online, and a very expensive price, hopefully lifeguarding can help me out with that. Unfortunately as much as I know the ps4 is better, I also know that some games I like playing wont be on ps4.
Purge the heresy with the Emperor's fire of retribution. Destroy the mutant against the anvil of his wrath. Exterminate the xenos with the courage of humanity.

#56 Authrix

Authrix

Chief Organ Thief

• Acolyte
  • 3,926 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:15 AM

Why would you settle for a console that's 50% bad for two exclusive titles? That just strikes me as a brash move.

As for the used hand market, it's this simple: do you honestly think EA will
A: take a risk and lose money on a gamble rather than pumping out a new FPS or equivalent.
B: Give a toss about the gamers enough to even consider this.

We all know it's "no" on both counts.

You need your head examined - CruciasNZ

Authrix stop making me spill things on my laptop with what you post - Pony

I cannot oblige Pony.

#57 JACCX023

JACCX023

Guardian of the kitchen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:10 AM

Ahhh i just find this the ultimate f u to people with unstable connections and to people that do work and travel and cant really check into their xbox one the reaction on how bad this was ughh

Posted Image

#58 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

• Administrators
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:13 AM

Yeah I read that somewhere; where does Microsoft find these morons? Bikini Bottom?!

cruSig2.jpg

#59 An_A10_Pilot

An_A10_Pilot

Shenanigans Master!

• Premium Member
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:49 AM

My reaction to that video.

Posted Image
Posted Image

"Sweet Tap-Dancing Night Lords, Batman!"

#60 RDSFirebane

RDSFirebane

Guardsmen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:40 PM

ya already ordered a PS4 so I could have it payed off in time.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTfjgLlMzdxNZZPvrul2rS6qcWN-47VkKR1rdWV4WW-jzWitzxC&t=1

Change Theme!