73 replies to this topic

#1 Gerhart

Gerhart

MasterDabater

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:28 PM

Let me start this off by saying I'm not naming names or chapters. This was not a match against chapters, it was purely random.

I had the pleasure today of being in a party today with Astartes from three different chapter. Now it was fun at first, but I had to stay quite with my baby sleeping. Sure enough the players used what I expected, but no matter. What bothered me when the opposing team made up of pure randoms level 5-25 were clearly out matched against us. Did brothers in this group hold back and not spawn camp? The two Fists, of course we wanted to give new players a chance. In my opinion there was no need to press forward and spawn camp then with rapid deploy Melta, VL and assault support. Why not let them try and have some fun and attack us. Not wanti to start a fight I kept my feelings hidden, only saying things like man y'all show no mercy. It was met with silence much like I expected.

I fail to see how *CENSORED* new people to the game is fun. More of a concern is that they are new! If I as new and all I was soon is getting spawn camped by 3-5 41's I would quit and never look back.

Am I wrong? Are we not better then this? I get it you like your weapons and tactics. Must we use then all the time tabs drive off new players? Or drive then to play the same? That makes for a really boring game to me.

I'm not trying to start any fights. It's on us as veterans to NOT kick NEW players in the balls as soon as they start. The community is small enough, why drive away new players?

Posted Image
Worried you are becoming a super DB tool? CLICK ME! Repent I say! Repent!

#2 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

Squeak Squeak Mother F***ers

• Administrators
  • Others: GWRS 2.0 Supporter, GWRS Governing Council
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:42 PM

Well said, this has been a point in contention for a long time. Unfortunately the argument "you just not good enough lulz" gets used as a defence by many people from many chapters, including some randoms I have encountered. It's also not just limited to Space Marine.

Ah well, we cannot change the nature of this chunk of humanity, all we can do is be a beacon in the dark. When I get stuck on teams that do that, I send the loosers a "sorry my team were dickheads" message.

Do Not XBL-Message or PM Me Website or Community Issues/Requests.
Use The Support Centre Instead!

cruSig2.jpg

#3 Draco Ny'ade

Draco Ny'ade

Forgefather

• Interrogator
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:56 PM

I would like to say Gerhart - Good Point, Well Made
Posted Image

#4 JC 042

JC 042

Sons of The Fallen clan leader

• GWRS Governing Council
  • Others: GWRS 2.0 Supporter
  • 9,552 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:05 PM

I can see the point in Chapter games, but not sure it makes a difference in randoms, chances are these low levelers are used to it as a lot of people do it and chances are they're trying to lvl asap to do the same thing really. On the question on if its fun or not I guess that depends on the individual really, but good point though.

Posted Image

JC: 99% Anime, 1% hot gas

#5 GravePrometheus

GravePrometheus

Just a guy.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:00 PM

I think the question of whether a new player will be discouraged is dependent on whether they're new to Space Marine, or multiplayer games. If they're new to multiplayer, I could see them getting discouraged. But if they're only new to Space Marine, then they've most likely encountered these kinds of tactics before and know that not every game will be like that.

Still, it would help if every player had a fair chance, but that's something I've never liked about games with multiplayer leveling systems that reward higher levels with perks and such. Players are almost never on an even playing field unless they're all new or all maxed. At least Space Marine allows you to copy the class of your killer, I haven't seen any other game afford you that luxury.

I'm not endorsing these tactics or anything, simply noting that there's always a degree of inequality in multiplayer games like these. It is, perhaps, one reason why some players enjoy no perk matches as much as they do, as it removes many of the advantages of being a high level.

I personally never encountered these tactics when I was a low level. That might be due to the fact that I was only a low level for a short period of time and that I only played in annihilation. *shrugs*

graveprometheus.jpg

#6 Gerhart

Gerhart

MasterDabater

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:33 PM

Your alSo a very talented player Brother. On the other hand I know it will happen, but this community does not have the player base of BF3, GoW, CoD or any others. We have to strive to make new players feel welcome and not Melta spawn camp them every match. The Fists dont spawn camp and rarely even take the enemies main cap, unless it's a must. Hell lately we have been sitting in our spawn till the other team has 500 pts to make it more fair.

Posted Image
Worried you are becoming a super DB tool? CLICK ME! Repent I say! Repent!

#7 TheGodDernMan

TheGodDernMan

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:28 PM

I believe you all know my position in this.
Banned for trying to destroy the community from within: https://www.gothicwars.org/forums/showthread.php?tid=5131&pid=69305#pid69305

#8 SuperFreakyNick

SuperFreakyNick

Guardsmen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:18 PM

When I began playing Halo, I got beat so badly into the ground, and the people who beat me were just ASSES about it. Others on my team yelled at me because I had never played a shooting game on the Xbox multiplayer mode before. I got very discouraged.

With Space Marine, everybody made me feel welcome my very first day of playing. After getting beat into the ground, the other more experienced players were just "Good game, you guys played well". They gave me and other noobs advice, just the simple things like watch out for final vengeance and don't just run into places, look before you barge in. If I asked it, one of them would follow me and watch my back, no questions asked. They didn't give out major secrets or babied me, but just knowing that the more experienced players were willing to help me if I needed it was very nice. Even though I didn't even know them, just being a level 1 noob, they treated me as if I was a teammate.

That's mainly what I think we need. Just treat the noobs as if they were your teammates, because chances are they might actually BECOME one of your teammates one day.
Our hero, our hero, claims a warrior's heart. I tell you, I tell you, the Dragonborn comes.

#9 Kite Arca

Kite Arca

Vizen The Scion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts
  • Xbox Live:Kite Arca
  • PSN:Kite Arca
  • Steam:Fives

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:23 PM

Gerhart always makes good points
Posted Image
I hear you calling calling for me Queen of battle Infantry

#10 Christofari

Christofari

Conscript

• Members
  • Pip
  • 178 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:44 PM

I am still kinda new, it took me about a week of playing with you guys to crank up from lvl 5 to lvl 25 even with some really crappy k/d records. Most of the time i suck but the best night i ever had went: 7/5 9/2 11/1 in that order. My confidence went up with every match as the tactics I was testing actually worked (plus I was having women troubles and my class was "pissed off assault bastard") but yeah, it does suck monster bawls to think you've got your junk together then suddenly its like every time you spawn some jackhole is waiting with a melta. I don't think the melta would bother me so bad but I just don't sling it that well. Its not my style. I'd love to play some "bolters only" matches. Do we ever do that? Like strictly ballistics; bolt pistol, stalker, storm and heavy?
I think I'm gonna die, trying anyway...

#11 ogreninja

ogreninja

dark sorcerer of the night lords

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:48 PM

Gerharts right also what i have seen is that if the spawn campers get spawn camped themselves they tend to be the obes to rage quit after a game makes me laugh cause they can give but not take lol
Posted Image

formidonis per obscurum

give them nothing, but take from them everything

#12 Corman2030

Corman2030

Crimson Fist Liaison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:38 AM

This is such an awesome point because just before I joined this site, I was already getting burned out on S.M. for this very reason. I wasn't very good and new to multiplayer so getting spawn camped sucked and I didn't want to play. So for this reason and many others, I rock the Crimson Fist! Lets be an example of fun, sportsman like gaming!

Posted Image

"If Death is Victory, how Afraid of Life can we be!"-OH, SLEEPER

#13 Optic20

Optic20

Grand Master - The Finder of Secrets

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:47 AM

Let's put it this y'all - we are always looking for new recruits, no matter the chapter or warband. This is a small community do we really want to potentially drive away what could be great players and awesome battle brothers?
"By the Lion, I will find out what you know, even if it kills you."
Postad bild

#14 TheGodDernMan

TheGodDernMan

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:09 AM

Futhemore, the Dark Angels DO NOT spawn camp. We will only harass a base point to draw attention to that area just to capitalize on the vacant other points.

There is in fact a huge difference in base point harassment vs spawn camping.
Banned for trying to destroy the community from within: https://www.gothicwars.org/forums/showthread.php?tid=5131&pid=69305#pid69305

#15 GravePrometheus

GravePrometheus

Just a guy.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:06 AM

I'd love to play some "bolters only" matches. Do we ever do that? Like strictly ballistics; bolt pistol, stalker, storm and heavy?

I don't believe this is done on a daily basis, but if you wanted to play some matches like that, I'd be happy to play some with you. I'm sure some others would be up for it too.

I think Nicky has a point about making new players feel welcome. Perhaps whenever a chapter gets together to play in randoms, they can occasionally stay out of a party to talk to the randoms pre-game and post-game. Let them see that we're really all about having fun, and maybe tell them about the site.

graveprometheus.jpg

#16 Danguinius

Danguinius

Chaplain

• Members
  • Others:
  • Pip
  • 280 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:37 AM

I got accused of spawn camping once.

Waste management. I was running to the enemy spawn to uncap having come from the centre bridge b cap point. Trough the port way and met an enemy player running the opposite way. Killed him. Continued and as I passed there was a heavy bolter sat just outside the threshold of their spawn point, set up. Somehow I dodged the fire and managed to melta the dev. I then proceeded to uncap their point fresh in the knowledge no one was (immediately) behind me. As t happened before I could capture, the Dev revenge killed me.

This was a fun game with lots of different chapter members together.

Afterwards I got called out by the disgruntled dev player saying I was spawn camping?

Now I don't think spawn camping is particularly cool, although I have done it in the past. But this was more to hit home a message to some ass hole who had already trash talked me to show absolute dominance over him.

I think the spawn camp issue will never go away, people will always do it. But I also think that some cry spawn camper too often to discolour the fact that they were beaten. Looking at my first example, which didn't happen all that long ago I think you'll agree;

(slightly altered quote from an awesome movie, points to who guesses which)

"....The Internet gave everyone in the world a voice, and it seems the masses have chosen to use that voice to bitch about video games...."
Posted Image

Blood Angel since 1992

GamerTag: DanFZ604

#17 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

Squeak Squeak Mother F***ers

• Administrators
  • Others: GWRS 2.0 Supporter, GWRS Governing Council
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:10 AM

A lot of maps in Space Marine were very poorly designed, most have no clear line between base defence and spawn camping (Hab Centre and Basilica come to mind, plus Waste which makes you go through their spawn exit to reach bases).

Even those of us who detest this crap behaviour are guilty of accidental Spawn Camping every so often.

Do Not XBL-Message or PM Me Website or Community Issues/Requests.
Use The Support Centre Instead!

cruSig2.jpg

#18 Prosperan Son

Prosperan Son

Grand Apostle Narak of the Word Bearers

• Elite Member
  • 1,749 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:45 AM

If anyone knows the Black Templars personally, you know how we feel about this matter.
“A king must live a life more vivid than any other and be a figure for all to admire! The king is the one who collects the envy of all his heroes and stands as their guide! Therefore, the king is not alone. For his will equals that of all his followers combined!”

#19 Talos Valcoran

Talos Valcoran

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • 1,202 posts
  • Xbox Live:Archmage Talos
  • PSN:Morgoth1100
  • Social Groups:Raven Guard

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:54 AM

i have never been spawn camped on space marine's. but i have on other games.Example's: Halo reach,Mw3, halo 3,etc. I have never met any one who has never been spawn camped

If you win, you live. If you lose, you die. If you don't fight, you can't win! - Eren Yaeger (Attack on Titan)

#20 Lord Commander Archael

Lord Commander Archael

Chapter Master

• Members
  • Others:
  • Pip
  • 193 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:15 AM

I think it's worthy of note to once again affirm that there is a massive difference between spawn camping and taking and holding the other teams "home" spawn point.

I myself have indeed spawn camped in the past when I was fairly new to the game but now if it happens that I'm playing randoms along with other GW members, I'll call for a fall-back and allow them to recap their "home" spawn.

I don't condemn the guys that do spawn camp, I just personally don't enjoy backing up a bunch of players into their own spawn area, that have absolutely no hope of fighting their way free in the way that one of the better Chapters/Warbands on here might be able to - once their backed up like that, randoms will lose everytime.

Posted Image

Change Theme!