43 replies to this topic

#1 BANEofDAEMONS

BANEofDAEMONS

BANEofDAEMONS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:38 PM

Stop closeing threads everytime people disagree. After all this site is based on games of war between good and evil so people are gonna disagree. I understand your doing what u think is right but people have a right to be heard. Its really starting to look like the mods see something they dont like and they close the thread after getting the last word. Just how i c it.
Posted Image

#2 Armoured Priest

Armoured Priest

Man in the long black coat

• Administrators
  • Others: GWRS Governing Council
  • 10,192 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:44 PM

There is no "good and evil.' it's people and people. The threads are closed because the opinions quickly devolve into just flame wars, especially when sides are saying the other side is doing a dirty tactic or lying and vigilantism spreads as people go up and arms about it. In the end it only hurts the community as a whole just because people end up just yelling at each other and stay mad.

Burning, Stabbing, Devouring, Changing, Resurrecting and creating in Sanctuary
We have such sights to show you...

SignatureBurias_zpsafd03a97.jpg

#3 JC 042

JC 042

Sons of The Fallen clan leader

• GWRS Governing Council
  • Others: GWRS 2.0 Supporter
  • 9,552 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:51 PM

They aren't closed because mods disagree with them, they're closed because they are very obviously going to cause a flame war by baiting other groups. Which is their job, to stop pointless arguments that will only damage the site and its community, no matter what website you go on.

Posted Image

JC: 99% Anime, 1% hot gas

#4 The Valcor

The Valcor

Meatshield

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:59 PM

Despite my own feelings about whether or not it was vigilantism, i do agree that certain posts should be closed. It would do nothing but entice people to fight.
The Valcor, Glorified big gun toting mother f***er.

#5 Brother Chewy

Brother Chewy

Marine

• Interrogator
  • 916 posts
  • Xbox Live:Vakarian58
  • Steam:SN Vakarian

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:00 PM

Bane i know it may seem like they're doing it because they dont like whats going on in the thread but if you dont stop it before a flame war starts then you have Chapters going at it with each other and people calling each other out, it just causes a big mess of trouble if you dont stop it fast. Trust in the mods Bane there here to make sure your having a good time and they know what they are doing. :D
Posted Image

#6 JC 042

JC 042

• GWRS Governing Council
  • 9,552 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:05 PM

Despite my own feelings about whether or not it was vigilantism, i do agree that certain posts should be closed. It would do nothing but entice people to fight.

I don't personally believe it to be vigilantism either. But if he wanted to defend his chapter he shouldn't have done it by shouting it out in public with a video labeled with a very serious allegation against another faction that can only start flame wars.

Posted Image

#7 ajar1189

ajar1189

Brother I am Pinned Here!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:08 PM

Personally I'm of the opinion that dirty laundry should be aired out and people should be allowed to go at it. However, it's just that, an opinion. The site has moderators and rules, which should both be respected. Although I do agree that they can be a bit trigger happy in closing threads preemptively, they do so to keep some semblance of order. In the end, the rules are there and the moderators are there to make sure that everyone is following the rules. We all need to learn to respect it or gtfo.

Check out the app called Verge I Created: http://goo.gl/OFW1yl. It's only for android now, but will be out for iPhone in the near future!

It essentially allows you to share your location with your friends, family, coworkers, etc through a group in the app. You can find everyone in your group's location by pressing a button (assuming they respond to the request), and plot it on a map. From there you are given a point that is equidistant from everyone. With this you can find a place to search for and meet up and send this location to everyone in your group telling them thats where you want to meet. There's no need to enter any addresses, and all you need to do is click a few buttons.

#8 BANEofDAEMONS

BANEofDAEMONS

BANEofDAEMONS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:01 AM

All of you r right. But I think the threads should be allowed to play out before their closed you dont know whats going to happen until it happens. Granted their are rules that should be respected and followed and I think the mods are good at what they do. I just feel like their jumping the gun a lil bit. I think (and this just my opinion and by no means do feel like i can do a better job then anyone else) that if u think a thread is getting out of hand issue a warning and if it doesnt stop then close the thread. That way people have a chance to try and find a positive sollution.
Posted Image

#9 Doomdrinker1

Doomdrinker1

Brother Icarus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:40 AM

Look Bane I can understand were you are coming from but you have to remember the admins are working from experiance in the matter there have been times in the past when a thread was allowed to get way out of hand and nothing good came from it.
Posted Image

#10 BANEofDAEMONS

BANEofDAEMONS

BANEofDAEMONS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:21 AM

Thats my point Doom. I understand that people take things to far but closeing the thread premature isnt fair and it doesnt solve anything. All it does is hurt the people wanna have a intellegent discussion about a certain matter and it helps the ones who wanna start a fire because its easy to hide behind a screen and they enjoy the all the drama.
Posted Image

#11 Angron767

Angron767

RAGE

• Members
  • Others:
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:03 AM

Sounds like we need a flame sub-forum where people can go at it without causing a mess where non-members can see it.
With blood and rage of crimson red,
Ripped from a corpse so freshly dead,
Together with our hellish hate,
We'll burn you all--That is your fate!

#12 BANEofDAEMONS

BANEofDAEMONS

BANEofDAEMONS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:57 AM

thats not a bad idea but i think theres a place where threads go to die or something like that. Thank yall for your insight on the matter and just know im not trying to start shit these are just my thoughts on the subject :D
Posted Image

#13 JC 042

JC 042

• GWRS Governing Council
  • 9,552 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:11 AM

Thats my point Doom. I understand that people take things to far but closeing the thread premature isnt fair and it doesnt solve anything. All it does is hurt the people wanna have a intellegent discussion about a certain matter and it helps the ones who wanna start a fire because its easy to hide behind a screen and they enjoy the all the drama.

But the thread that was allowed to get out of hand in this instance was what caused all of these new threads to pop up after it was closed, so basically they're closing an existing argument which they have already said stops now in the original thread by closing it. All of the threads made are continues of that closed thread so they are trying to close the flame war that's already there, not one that might start.

And that's why so many threads are closed premature, to stop a forum wide flame war that sprouts and spreads to so many other threads simply from one post, like in this instance when the thread wasn't closed so many more were created to continue the flaming and baiting.

Posted Image

#14 Danguinius

Danguinius

Chaplain

• Members
  • Others:
  • Pip
  • 280 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:37 AM

The more things change the more they stay the same.

I think we all have to resign ourselves to the fact that his is an Internet forum centrally routed from our collective love of 40k / Space marine / Xbox.

Like in any collective of minds, there will be differing opinions and clashes of personality. The mods here have put in place rules and procedures in order that some sort of harmony is maintained and that the wider community isn't heavily disrupted through an individual or individuals disagreement.

Long and short is, if you don't like it, go elsewhere.

Now I'm in no way trying to push you out, it's just arguing over the same point over and over (we've all done it and learned from the past) only serves to cause more frustration and upset, thereby forcing admins to step in and take necessary action.

But, what do I know, I'm just another faceless tosser on the Internet lol.
Posted Image

Blood Angel since 1992

GamerTag: DanFZ604

#15 BANEofDAEMONS

BANEofDAEMONS

BANEofDAEMONS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:46 AM

But the thread that was allowed to get out of hand in this instance was what caused all of these new threads to pop up after it was closed, so basically they're closing an existing argument which they have already said stops now in the original thread by closing it. All of the threads made are continues of that closed thread so they are trying to close the flame war that's already there, not one that might start.

And that's why so many threads are closed premature, to stop a forum wide flame war that sprouts and spreads to so many other threads simply from one post, like in this instance when the thread wasn't closed so many more were created to continue the flaming and baiting.

Ok maybe im misunderstanding the purpose of this site. Is it not soley for people to be able to talk to each other? And if so, can u really expect everyone to get along and play by the rules? For me personally this is why i participate in this site is to have discussions with other people based on the subjects people wanna talk about. You cant automatically awesume that a certain topic is gonna start a fire everybody deserves a chance to be heard regaurdless of there opinion. Its pretty easy to tell the difference between somebody who has a bonified argument from some one whos just talking trash in which case the thread should b closed as soon as it turns into garbage but not because someone thinks it might. Let it play out, its not fair to the people who have genuine issues and or points for their voice not to be heard becuase some idiots decide to spew a bunch of garbage. Maybe its just me but i havent seen any threads latley that needed to be closed.
Posted Image

#16 JC 042

JC 042

• GWRS Governing Council
  • 9,552 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:58 AM

Ok maybe im misunderstanding the purpose of this site. Is it not soley for people to be able to talk to each other? And if so, can u really expect everyone to get along and play by the rules? For me personally this is why i participate in this site is to have discussions with other people based on the subjects people wanna talk about. You cant automatically awesume that a certain topic is gonna start a fire everybody deserves a chance to be heard regaurdless of there opinion. Its pretty easy to tell the difference between somebody who has a bonified argument from some one whos just talking trash in which case the thread should b closed as soon as it turns into garbage but not because someone thinks it might. Let it play out, its not fair to the people who have genuine issues and or points for their voice not to be heard becuase some idiots decide to spew a bunch of garbage. Maybe its just me but i havent seen any threads latley that needed to be closed.

The threads that were recently closed were closed because they started out as baiting, not a reasonable argument. They all made a very serious allegation against a faction that would of been pissed off by it.

The spawn camping thread started out as a reasonable debate and remained opened that way, then it turned to 'garbage' and was closed.

Posted Image

#17 BANEofDAEMONS

BANEofDAEMONS

BANEofDAEMONS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:11 AM

The threads that were recently closed were closed because they started out as baiting, not a reasonable argument. They all made a very serious allegation against a faction that would of been pissed off by it.

Well if thats the case then maybe there should be some kind of court system (for lack of a better word) that can try and find a peacefull sollution that way both sides get a chance to represent themselves in a respectfull manner instead of resorting to petty bullshit. Just a thought ;)
Posted Image

#18 Authrix

Authrix

Chief Organ Thief

• Acolyte
  • 3,926 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:27 AM

This site and every site I've seen like it have one main rule: follow the rules. Don't like them? The door is over there. No one is, or should be, exempt from them.

Threads are locked to keep people from breaking those rules. What users need to remember is that ones are not arbitrarily chosen; they go through a training period before being approved, which means they know what they're doing.

#19 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

Squeak Squeak Mother F***ers

• Administrators
  • Others: GWRS 2.0 Supporter, GWRS Governing Council
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:09 PM

Danguinius pretty much hit it on the head, kudos for the well written post.

My 2c; this is a community of many individuals each with their own views, values, sense of right and wrong and sense of humor. Like any, community you're never going to get your way all the time, your never going to fully avoid drama. If you look back through this site's history you'll see a prevailing trend of hailing staff (or other members) as champs for siding with them, and decrying them as hell spawn for disagreeing - sometimes all in one thread.

The truth is there's a set of rules that your told about in your welcome PM that is mostly copied off other sites (albeit with a few situational personalisations) and is intended to guide us past the rough intersections of personalities and viewpoints; if you don't like them then suggest changes constructively and live with it, or bugger off. We're here to enjoy our common interests and community after all, and don't need to put up with it if we collectively don't want to.

One of those rules is don't intentionally cause flamewars, that rule alone justifies today's locks by mods, leaders and CMs (Spec). Also remember, you can ask mods to split off good posts from flame threads, or flame posts from good threads therefore getting things unlocked and available again.

Edit: pimple hailing, wtf autocorrect

Do Not XBL-Message or PM Me Website or Community Issues/Requests.
Use The Support Centre Instead!

cruSig2.jpg

#20 ajar1189

ajar1189

Brother I am Pinned Here!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:22 PM

The flame war did start from the first thread, but stemmed off in a completely different direction from the original post in the thread. The second thread was created not to kindle the flame war, but to respond to the original accusations of spawn camping provided originally in the first thread. Locking it was fine an dandy, because you didn't want another flame war to develop. However, both threads were immediately deleted (removed from public view), where everyone was able to see that first spawn camping accusation thread (something like 800 views) but virtually no one saw the defense (<100 views?). This is why additional threads were created. They shouldn't have been made, and instead the mods should have been contacted privately about it so that no more issues would stem from this.

Check out the app called Verge I Created: http://goo.gl/OFW1yl. It's only for android now, but will be out for iPhone in the near future!

It essentially allows you to share your location with your friends, family, coworkers, etc through a group in the app. You can find everyone in your group's location by pressing a button (assuming they respond to the request), and plot it on a map. From there you are given a point that is equidistant from everyone. With this you can find a place to search for and meet up and send this location to everyone in your group telling them thats where you want to meet. There's no need to enter any addresses, and all you need to do is click a few buttons.

Change Theme!