11 replies to this topic

#1 Domine Nox

Domine Nox

Regent of Ultramar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:52 PM

I'm putting this in here, because this is the most prevalent spot and one where I think the post people will read it.

Okay, I'm noticing a trend, one that I'd really like to lay to rest (though I know that's probably never going to happen). This trend is for peanut gallery behavior. I know this is a forum, a place for one and all to share their thoughts, ideas, and come together to discuss matters in a friendly open minded environment. That is at least the hope.

By that same token everyone can jump in on any other thread, well for the most part. There are very few restrictions on people's actions, and that allows all members to talk to other members about whatever they want, express their opinions, debate issues, and help each other.

What I am referring to by 'peanut gallery behavior,' is a growing trend of people jumping in on threads that they are not a core factor of and escalating the matter. Let me provide a real life situation. I am walking down the street and a guy bumps into me. The guy and I are now the involved parties. We can then proceed to work out our issue as politely or violently as we deem necessary. The peanut gallery is the guy that was walking by and go "That guy totally doesn't like you, I could tell." It has no basis in fact. It has no relevance to the bump. It in fact serves no purpose except to incite a situation to a worse outcome than it might possibly have been in.

This is not directed at any one group as it seems people are guilty of this across the board. I'm sure the temptation is there, heck I almost succumbed to it myself by chiming in my two cents on a thread, but I thought better of it, and decided to let what had been written by others work itself to its conclusion.

In essence I want to try and nip the underhanded slights, the picks at other groups, the veiled insults at factions right here and now. If you see something that you feel is hurtful, insulting, or a slight against your good name, don't respond to it. Go get a mod. All the responses seem to do is then cause other people to do the same, and before you know it there are insults flying, misunderstandings abounding and people offering to throw money around for ridiculous reasons.

So that is my desperate appeal to you, the valued members of Gothic Wars. Please be fair, be civil, and if you feel others are not do not rise to the bait instead seek an impartial medium. I know I value all members of the community equally, and would rather issues got laid to rest rather than be allowed to fester and spread across the site. I for one have no intention of holding anyone higher than anyone else when it comes to judgement. Gerhart is somebody I consider a friend, but if he starts mouthing off like a tool I have no problem stepping in and moderating him as necessary.

So please, everyone, don't let your choler rise to perceived slights and insults, because the moment you've seen that your judgement is compromised. Instead go get an moderator(Zero, Armoured Priest, Domine Nox, Brother Phoenix 1664, DTdante2787, Infiltrator Fenirs) and explain your issue and the perceived slight, and we can step in and handle it in a manner that will not cause more trouble.

Thank you to all the members of Gothic Wars, your time, effort and contributions are all valued.

Domine Nox

Posted Image

Nolo mihi libet sis multo felis.

#2 Opeth Of Epica

Opeth Of Epica

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:56 PM

Thank you for this thread, this argueing really needs to stop.

eB3ZWV8.jpg

#3 Thugren

Thugren

Master Of The Sanctuary

• Administrators
  • Others: GWRS Governing Council
  • 14,265 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:00 PM

Nox is right, the mob mentality only gets more people in trouble. We are doing our best to put out these fires, but the underhanded comments, the ranting and raging, it needs to stop, were all friends here, we dont need to be doing this shit

Oh sanctuary...THAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT Rp
cainsig11.jpg

#4 Brother Davious

Brother Davious

Blood Angels Chaplain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 287 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:05 PM

Nox what you say is fare and right but the example you give is not accurate. If the person being nudged/shouted at/ect is a friend of yours you will always back them up. This is not random people jumping into threads to flame for fun it is people defending their friends.
Postad bild

#5 DTdante2787

DTdante2787

I will never be a memory

• Interrogator
  • 1,886 posts
  • Xbox Live:dtdante2787
  • Steam:nightlorddante
  • Social Groups:Night Lords

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:11 PM

I agree with Fenirs. It is disheartening to see friends of mine going at each others throats over something that frankly doesn't concern them.

In real life experiences that have had NOTHING to do with this forum, I've lost friends over arguments that didn't have a damn thing to do with them.

I feel this community is about making new friends and seeing this behavior saddens me to say the least. I know I'm going to see some friends leave because of this behavior, and I'm going to flat out say it..it's wrong.

As Fenirs stated, it also makes our jobs as mods harder when a giant flame war like this one starts

raptor_by_artimac-d4xg7cccopy_zps5623e7c

#6 Domine Nox

Domine Nox

Regent of Ultramar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:15 PM

If the person being nudged/shouted at/ect is a friend of yours you will always back them up. This is not random people jumping into threads to flame for fun it is people defending their friends.

If my friend is at fault, my friend is at fault. Caring for your friend, and backing your friend is all good. But there are times where you also need to turn to your friend and so "Dude, just apologize to the man." Irrational support against all odds while commendable, solves nothing.

This is why if your friend gets insulted, insulting back isn't going to do anything except get more insults. If you get a moderator we can end the fight there and then.

Posted Image

#7 Lord Commander Archael

Lord Commander Archael

Chapter Master

• Members
  • Others:
  • Pip
  • 193 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:27 PM

I appreciate what you're saying here and why but in reality, we're almost all grown men here (with a few grown women too I believe) and the whole 'telling the teacher' mentality is never going to work. Pride, ego, stubborness, that all so irritating but binding secret man-code etc will all kick in far sooner than the logical, mature, sensible part of the brain.

It'd be great if we could discipline ourselves and go tell the teacher first but it will almost never happen. Just so long as people attempt to conduct themselves in an appropriate fashion then that is, in all reality as I've already said, the best that we can realistically hope for. In a perfect world then the system you suggest would be amazing, but we don't and we're all of us far from perfect.

Not flaming, not trying to get a rise out of anyone, just trying to point out the flaws of mankind (in a forums sense anyhow) and how the ideal system would only really work in an ideal world :-/

Posted Image

#8 Domine Nox

Domine Nox

Regent of Ultramar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:36 PM

Not flaming, not trying to get a rise out of anyone, just trying to point out the flaws of mankind (in a forums sense anyhow) and how the ideal system would only really work in an ideal world :-/

I can always hope. I can always hope.

Posted Image

#9 SpecSlaughter22

SpecSlaughter22

Bearer of the Redemption of St. Sulech

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:57 PM

its not fair we lose some of our good friend over an arguement:-(
I do not forget.
I do not forgive.
I am always watching.
Expect me.
Posted Image

#10 jaybirdjb

jaybirdjb

Meatshield

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:11 AM

Guys we really need to realize that there will always be issues when there are this many people together. The thing that has to happen is dealing with them properly. A very good example is a realtionship. A woman living with you (or man for our few ladies :) isn't always perfect. Different personalities clash at times one way or another. It happens, but patience and an open mind helps dealing with them. Same with family and all. We all know this. Blow off steam and deal with it.
jaybirdjb, Glorified Meatshield In The Gothic Wars Since Apr 2012.

#11 Cypher 1013

Cypher 1013

Raven Wing 2nd Company battle brother

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:27 AM

I agree but it seems some get punished more than others. I received a warning and I can not post due to one comment while others have made plenty of disrespectful comments and did not receive such a harsh punishment. Again this will probably not see the light of day like others cursing and nasty comments of plenty.
Stoopid fuqing rools.
Awesome ends with me.

#12 SuperFreakyNick

SuperFreakyNick

Guardsmen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:37 AM

It's okay to get angry every now and then. If we were all Mary and Gary Sunshines, then something would be seriously wrong with us! No relationship is perfect. The thing is that we need to try and prevent taking anger out on other people.

Especially because we're pretty much all adults here (I'm pretty sure I'm one of the youngest members on here, it not THE youngest but then again I don't know everybody's ages). It's time to start acting like it.

Whoever has issues needs to get together and sort out these issues because it looks like it's beginning to affect a lot of people. From what I've seen, it looks (although don't be afraid to correct me if I'm wrong because I'm simply stating what I've noticed. I don't know the backstory) like what kids do. Give each other the silent treatment, ragequit and ignore people. My classmates don't do this and I'm in HIGH SCHOOL. The oldest kids I see who do this are the middle school kids.

Change Theme!