22 replies to this topic

#1 Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Death Guard Warmaster

• Elite Member
  • Others: ,
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:14 PM

Well... I've just signed up to Planetside2 and got a steam account made. All I can say is HOLY FUCK HOW PATIENT MUST YOU BE!?

I try to download loadout: 6 hours and 43 minutes

I try to downloads TF2: 4 hours and 52 minutes

I try to download PS2: "This page is unresponsive"

Fuck the PC.

Edit: Also, how do I put games I already own on disk onto steam? For example, DoW DC.

Edited by Fuzzy, 11 March 2014 - 06:26 PM.

I don't think Farther's For Justice will allow you in the protest where you will be running around on a really high roof while pissed off your face

#2 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

Squeak Squeak Mother F***ers

• Administrators
  • Others: GWRS 2.0 Supporter, GWRS Governing Council
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:48 PM

You get a steam key instead of a registration key, you go to Library and one of the drop down menus at the top of Steam has "register/redeem a product"

Downloads can take ages, and they pause when you're gaming as well. What I do is run them overnight or while playing World of Tanks

Do Not XBL-Message or PM Me Website or Community Issues/Requests.
Use The Support Centre Instead!

cruSig2.jpg

#3 JC 042

JC 042

Sons of The Fallen clan leader

• GWRS Governing Council
  • Others: GWRS 2.0 Supporter
  • 9,552 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:01 PM

TF2 took only 1 hour 30 mins... And I was watching Hellsing Ultimate in HD.

Although I do have a really good rig, and 30Mbps speed (realistically it's actually 15Mbps, when they're not throttling me)

Posted Image

JC: 99% Anime, 1% hot gas

#4 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

• Administrators
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:05 PM

TF2 took only 1 hour 30 mins... And I was watching Hellsing Ultimate in HD.

Although I do have a really good rig, and 30Mbps speed (realistically it's actually 15Mbps, when they're not throttling me)

TF2 was probably in a local network cache therefore downloaded fast. ISPs cache the most popular Steam games to save themselves international connection charges (as ISPs have to buy international bandwidth from the companies owning the satellites and cables across oceans)

cruSig2.jpg

#5 dx144

dx144

Amon Amarth, Sabaton, Red Army Choir and Ensiferum Fan

• Elite Member
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:56 PM

Well my internet is pretty shit and possibly there is someone in a third world country that makes mine look like something out of the Dark Ages but I've downloaded loads of games through Steam such as all of the Age of Wonders, Civilization 5 and Gods and Kings DLC, World In Conflict, Dawn of War and its expansions,  Blood Bowl and Company of Heroes and its expansions.

You can continue the download while on a game if you can return to the desktop without closing the program like pressing the Windows button and clicking resume download button. I had to do that from time to time when I do some downloads.

Its good to have some single player games that you have to play just to pass the time while they download or just do them at night and go to sleep or go out for a bit and it might be down when you wake up, come back or play some of a single player game.

Also what is your download speed Fuzzy. That might explain why its taking a while, not much you can really do but suck it up. Well there might be something you can do, ain't nothing I can do to fix my download speed until the lines are updated which if you believe the Government is supposed to happen late this year...

Edited by dx144, 11 March 2014 - 09:01 PM.

"You fiend, have I never encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church?" - The Baby-Eating Bishop of Bath and Wells

#6 Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Death Guard Warmaster

• Elite Member
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:03 AM

My download speed is 2.66, not sure if that's good but it seems fairly low.

I don't think Farther's For Justice will allow you in the protest where you will be running around on a really high roof while pissed off your face

#7 Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Death Guard Warmaster

• Elite Member
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:06 AM

My download speed is 2.66mbps according to broadband speed check (did it on my phone if that means the result is different), not sure if that's good but it seems fairly low.

#8 JC 042

JC 042

• GWRS Governing Council
  • 9,552 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:48 AM

My download speed is 2.66, not sure if that's good but it seems fairly low.

That's VERY low, what's your upload? And ping?

Posted Image

#9 Doomdrinker1

Doomdrinker1

Brother Icarus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:51 PM

Welcome to PC gaming Fuzzy feel free to add me on steam.

My name is the same as in here.

Posted Image

#10 dx144

dx144

• Elite Member
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:46 PM

And to me Fuzzy that seems fast... I think one time while downloading through Steam I did get up to 500kb/s!!!! =D=D=D

"You fiend, have I never encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church?" - The Baby-Eating Bishop of Bath and Wells

#11 ebonybrotherhood

ebonybrotherhood

Blood Thirsty Psychopath

• Members
  • Others:
  • Pip
  • 167 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:00 PM

How goods your PC specs, because you might not want to even bother with planetside 2, its a very hard to run game on weaker systems (ie. mine)

Edited by ebonybrotherhood, 12 March 2014 - 06:00 PM.

How could my Chaos Space Marine possibly be this cute?

#12 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

• Administrators
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:14 PM

How goods your PC specs, because you might not want to even bother with planetside 2, its a very hard to run game on weaker systems (ie. mine)

PS2 kills internet connections and weak hardware, don't try playing on the non-EU servers Fuzzball because you'll never hit anything (NZ -> US is fine for BF4 etc, but on PS2 I might as well not play)

cruSig2.jpg

#13 Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Death Guard Warmaster

• Elite Member
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:28 PM

I'll check my PC specs and upload and ping tomorrow. I suspect they won't be great.

I'll be sure to stick to EU servers on PS2, if I can even run it that is. To be perfectly honest I have no clue what the hell I'm doing, as the title of this thread says this is my first venture into PC gaming. I'm just clicking things and hoping it works out well at the minute.

#14 dx144

dx144

• Elite Member
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:30 PM

Sums up what a lot of people do when they are attempting to do stuff with computers.

#15 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

• Administrators
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:26 AM

I'll check my PC specs and upload and ping tomorrow. I suspect they won't be great.

I'll be sure to stick to EU servers on PS2, if I can even run it that is. To be perfectly honest I have no clue what the hell I'm doing, as the title of this thread says this is my first venture into PC gaming. I'm just clicking things and hoping it works out well at the minute.

Front towards enemy - there, summed up all of PS2 :D

cruSig2.jpg

#16 Authrix

Authrix

Chief Organ Thief

• Acolyte
  • 3,926 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 12:27 PM

Yeah, won't lie, I got my PC solely because I knew it could run PS2, back when I was planning on playing it frequently.

I have a quad core with 8GB Ram. And it still didn't run 100%. I mean, it was smooth, but the graphics were... well, meh, to be frank. Good enough game though.

You need your head examined - CruciasNZ

Authrix stop making me spill things on my laptop with what you post - Pony

I cannot oblige Pony.

#17 JC 042

JC 042

• GWRS Governing Council
  • 9,552 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:01 PM

Yeah, won't lie, I got my PC solely because I knew it could run PS2, back when I was planning on playing it frequently.
I have a quad core with 8GB Ram. And it still didn't run 100%. I mean, it was smooth, but the graphics were... well, meh, to be frank. Good enough game though.

I've currently got 16GB Ram with a decent Intel Quad Core 7, and a GTX 770, I think I could run it. Haven't been interested in PL2 to try though.

Posted Image

#18 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

• Administrators
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:54 PM

PS2 is only fun if you play it in a big group. I was once part of a random tank convoy containing more tanks than I cared to count (I stopped counting at 200) plus air support.

cruSig2.jpg

#19 Authrix

Authrix

Chief Organ Thief

• Acolyte
  • 3,926 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:21 PM

See, GW tank column needs to happen.

You need your head examined - CruciasNZ

Authrix stop making me spill things on my laptop with what you post - Pony

I cannot oblige Pony.

#20 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

• Administrators
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:24 AM

See, GW tank column needs to happen.

It will, on Star Wars Battlefront or EC

cruSig2.jpg

Change Theme!