50 replies to this topic

#1 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

Squeak Squeak Mother F***ers

• Administrators
  • Others: GWRS 2.0 Supporter, GWRS Governing Council
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 05:12 AM

As the title says people, we're looking to find out who actively plays Civ 5 regardless of skill level in order to plan big GWRS Civ 5 days. Rules are simple, have fun and don't be a dick - or you'll be kicked from the game :D

You need all the stuff from the Humble Bundle, so Civ 5 and the main expansions (but not the little micro DLC races or maps)

EDIT: DLC Required

• Gods and Kings
  • Brave New World

Do Not XBL-Message or PM Me Website or Community Issues/Requests.
Use The Support Centre Instead!

cruSig2.jpg

#2 Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Death Guard Warmaster

• Elite Member
  • Others: ,
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:24 AM

Just so I know if it'll be worth me joining this, what constitutes "being a dick"?

I don't think Farther's For Justice will allow you in the protest where you will be running around on a really high roof while pissed off your face

#3 Draco Ny'ade

Draco Ny'ade

Forgefather

• Interrogator
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:25 AM

I'm in - I have it all

Posted Image

#4 ebonybrotherhood

ebonybrotherhood

Blood Thirsty Psychopath

• Members
  • Others:
  • Pip
  • 167 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:41 AM

I play Civ, and I have got all DLC, So I would be up for it.

How could my Chaos Space Marine possibly be this cute?

#5 dx144

dx144

Amon Amarth, Sabaton, Red Army Choir and Ensiferum Fan

• Elite Member
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:05 AM

I have Civ 5 just can't remember which DLC I have. I got it on Sale on Steam once. I'll check which DLC I have. I'll edit this post when I check which DLC I have =)

Also as Fuzzy asked what is seen as being a dick? I mean could it be say in all stupidity I have some forces near Cru's capital or city and I demand Cru gives me some luxury resources for 30 turns of peace. Would that constitute being a dick as I would see that as just being a military way of getting what it is needed. That is just one example we could probably do many more things.

I'll probably be down for a game or two as long as they aren't set for extremely long games as that could take some hours and depending on which time we start playing I might fall asleep halfway through my turn...

Edit:

I think I only have God and Kings DLC =/ 

Edited by dx144, 09 March 2014 - 11:10 AM.

"You fiend, have I never encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church?" - The Baby-Eating Bishop of Bath and Wells

#6 MetalHead666X

MetalHead666X

Sorcerer Supreme of the Thousand Sons

• GWRS Governing Council
  • 2,438 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:16 PM

I do intend to buy it. 

Civ Reveloution is free on Xbox currently and I am hooked. 

Started one game at 5, stayed up till two in the morning just to destroy the Spanish and Eygiptians. 

What a wonderfull game.

Two Giratina are better than one.

Posted Image

Thanks to Astral Shadow of Serebii for the Signiture

#7 dx144

dx144

• Elite Member
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 03:48 PM

Well Civ Rev I've had for sometime and I'm playing on King most of the time and for the last few games I start off close to the Mongolians and they destroy a barbarian village which gives them a city I take it and then I have one extra city which gives me the edge over them and I take their capital and now near the beginning of the game I have 3 cities with another from a free settler for getting I think 250 gold which gives me 4 cities I then focus on building and researching while also giving myself some defensive units like Pikemen or Longbows who can take down Bombers and Fighters... In that respect I prefer Civ 5 as Fighters can't really die from ground units that do not have anti-air capabilities.

If you want Metal we could try to set up a game for Civ Rev I think its 4 players in a free for all. Although this is for another thread I imagine...

"You fiend, have I never encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church?" - The Baby-Eating Bishop of Bath and Wells

#8 Emporer469

Emporer469

Merc commander

• Interrogator
  • 3,560 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 05:41 PM

I have Civ 5 but only with Gods and kings dlc but none of the other's

Emporer469, I use to be a spacemarine just like you but then i took a taser to the Knee.
love being a mercenary in sanctum

#9 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

• Administrators
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 06:14 PM

Just so I know if it'll be worth me joining this, what constitutes "being a dick"?

Basically attacking people early, none of us enjoy rushers - that's what city states are for. Also we play with women so basic courtesy - continually hitting on them or abusing them will get you booted. Common sense stuff fuzzball, it's a game we'll be playing for 6+ hours so pissing people off is not a good thing if we want to repeat the event.

I have Civ 5 but only with Gods and kings dlc but none of the other's

That's unfortunate - we got it on humble bundle for cheap ($15). The expansions are compulsory because they change the game drastically and some of our strategies (eg mine) revolves around the new mechanics.

cruSig2.jpg

#10 dx144

dx144

• Elite Member
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:41 PM

My reasons for attacking are usually:

You're close and pose a threat

Blocking me from something like a luxury or military resource that could only be obtained through diplomacy in a highly biased deal.

I will usually play like a turtle but expand a little bit more often if happiness isn't awful.

In Civilization I can't see how early rushers really win. Its a massive gamble because if the early rush just failed then you have an under developed city and a very pissed off enemy who is now stronger than you. Could work but I prefer options that don't leave my arse exposed to the whole world...

Which DLC is needed as I might buy them if there isn't too many and cost to much. I think I saw the Brave New World DLC trailer which did add in quite a new features and change around some policy trees.

Edited by dx144, 09 March 2014 - 07:43 PM.

#11 J0ker2610

J0ker2610

Supreme high sorcerer

• GWRS Governing Council
  • 1,131 posts
  • Xbox Live:J0ker2610
  • PSN:Vader2610
  • Steam:Joker2610
  • Social Groups:Night Lords

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:34 PM

I have it with all dlc, I'm up for it
Posted Image

#12 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

• Administrators
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:59 PM

My reasons for attacking are usually:

You're close and pose a threat

Blocking me from something like a luxury or military resource that could only be obtained through diplomacy in a highly biased deal.

I will usually play like a turtle but expand a little bit more often if happiness isn't awful.

In Civilization I can't see how early rushers really win. Its a massive gamble because if the early rush just failed then you have an under developed city and a very pissed off enemy who is now stronger than you. Could work but I prefer options that don't leave my arse exposed to the whole world...

Which DLC is needed as I might buy them if there isn't too many and cost to much. I think I saw the Brave New World DLC trailer which did add in quite a new features and change around some policy trees.

Early rushers usually win by making their targets rage quit; in our games however you'll just be booted by the GM (usually me or Naia). Attacking someone in a local fashion as you describe above (for resource) is fine, we're talking about prolonged rushing or bullying - violence is a core mechanic of the game and we don't want it neutered.

One of the best ways to be booted and not invited back would be to tech rush to guns, planes, tanks, nukes etc and then use that tech to obliterate someone who hasn't got those. Again it's a legitimate strategy and we don't mean it's 100% banned, it falls back on the being a dick clause again - if you tech rush then attack someone not far behind you in terms of tech then fair play, but god help you if you nuke someone still on arrows. There comes a point in the game when we stop looking to setup our civilisations, and look towards winning the game (from my experience 3-4 hours in) - at that point all bets are off and Khorne can get the party started.

We want to encourage people to play this with us regularly, and we want all strategies to be possible (Science, Diplomacy/World Leader, Military, Culture/Points etc), therefore we need to keep it friendly, competitive and fun for all involved.

Note: It's totally cool for two people to mutually rush each other as long as they don't drag others into their war; for example Naia and I might decide to fight a little war between the two of us, it certainly wouldn't be the first time she's tried it :D

I have it with all dlc, I'm up for it

Mint! Draco and I were discussing it yesterday, any events will be planned in advance in order to capture as many timezones as possible. You'll probably find games happen at 7am Sunday in New Zealand, which is 6pm Saturday in the UK and ~ 1pm Saturday on the US East Coast.

• dx144 likes this

cruSig2.jpg

#13 dx144

dx144

• Elite Member
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:47 PM

Thanks for clearing that up I haven't played online with Civ as I imagine if its like other strategy games online people are usually dicks. Halo Wars the amount of people who just use the prophet and use only him then teleport him away when he is hurt then come back after he's healed up. That put me off so much.

I always will attempt to stay in a game once it's begun. I'll only leave if my internet dies or I actually have to do something else that has importance.

Once I know which DLC is needed I'll look into getting it =) 

I don't think I'm that good but who knows maybe I could surprise myself and everyone =P

#14 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

• Administrators
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:16 AM

OP Edited with required DLC

• dx144 likes this

cruSig2.jpg

#15 Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Death Guard Warmaster

• Elite Member
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:06 AM

I'll join you guys for this. A little world domination with you fucking lunatics sounds like it'll be fun.

I don't think Farther's For Justice will allow you in the protest where you will be running around on a really high roof while pissed off your face

#16 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

• Administrators
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:44 AM

You're so getting nuked Fuzzball :D

• Fuzzy likes this

cruSig2.jpg

#17 dx144

dx144

• Elite Member
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:49 AM

I'll look into getting the Brave New World DLC soon then =)

Thanks for letting me know which DLC is needed =)

#18 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

• Administrators
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:18 PM

I'll look into getting the Brave New World DLC soon then =)

Thanks for letting me know which DLC is needed =)

NP mate, it's a pretty epic expansion. The only thing missing from the game now is the ability to set your own taxes (from previous Civ games)

cruSig2.jpg

#19 dx144

dx144

• Elite Member
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:02 AM

Well I did check and it is about £20 through Steam and for a DLC that must be something pretty big as that is around the price for games through Steam =P

I have the money I just wonder if its worth getting it as I haven't really played Civ 5 in a while about a month to be precise. =/

#20 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

• Administrators
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:20 AM

Well I did check and it is about £20 through Steam and for a DLC that must be something pretty big as that is around the price for games through Steam =P

I have the money I just wonder if its worth getting it as I haven't really played Civ 5 in a while about a month to be precise. =/

You could just avoid it and wait for it to come on sale, add it to your wishlist in that event so they email you

cruSig2.jpg

Change Theme!