Photo

Saturday night.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Iron K

Iron K

A Berserker's Soul in a Pacifist's Body!

• Premium Member
  • Others: GWRS 2.0 Supporter
  • 1,833 posts
  • Xbox Live:Iron K

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:56 PM

I pull the cab over to the curb, the point of destination reached. Both the inside and outside of the bar is crowded and I can already see people who have had to much. My passengers unload in a drunken ramble as I receive payment from the one that still can be classed as "reasonably sober". Before he closes the door he slurs something I don't quite understand, or for that matter care to hear, and I simply smile and gives a small wave as an answer.

I watch them cross the road and join the crowd outside the bar, and shake my head slightly. Was I ever that young and stupid? Boastful stories of how many women they'll get tonight, and how fun they'll have, when we all know they're already to drunk to even remember it tomorrow. No, I was never that stupid. Or that young for that matter.

I didn't have that privilege.

The silence in the cab is suddenly painfully loud. I sigh deeply and change my status to "Available" and lean back in my not so comfortable seat. I try to wipe the tiredness away from my face and eyes, without great success. Nine hours. Nine hours of this shift done. Another four to go. I look in the rear view mirror and see my own eyes. They look old. Older than they should. I'm only 24 but look and act a decades older. I stroke the gray hairs in my beard thoughtfully. Catty says they make me look distinguished.

I just feel I haven't earned them just yet.

Catty..

I look at the clock. 23:21. She has probably going to sleep soon. We've been together five years. During those years I can count on my fingers how many times we haven't gone to bed together, to fall asleep in each others arms. Now, all of a sudden, it's each and every night. I miss her. I miss her closeness. 

I wonder how it went with putting the children to bed. Damn. Even though I saw them during the afternoon after I woke up, and hugged them goodbye before I went to work, it feels like I haven't seen them in weeks. I wonder if Saga cried after I left. She usually does. And if she waved and blew kisses out the window before she went to bed, as she have started doing since daddy isn't home.

I shake my head violently. The last four hours won't go quicker by thinking about those things. I once again try to wipe away the tiredness, but it just won't go away. I rub my hands together and raise the heat in the car a bit. I try to keep it cold in the car so that the drunks are less likely to puke. At least it's been working so far.

As I rub my hands, I realizes how soft they are. In my previous employments I always worked with my hands. Construction, electrician, groundskeeper. And as I worked my hands got rough and hardy. I liked that. It was like a proof of my hard labor. But now their soft. 

"A man is what he can do with his own to hands..."

My grandfathers words make themselves reminded. Words I have tried to live by. His hands are a monument of labor. Of a lifetimes worth of hard work, and as a child I dreamed of having hands like he.

But now their soft.

A signal sounds out, and informs me that I have yet another fare, and pulls me from my train of though. I'm pretty glad it did, because I had no intention of finding out where those tracks would have taken me. I start driving, with the goal to make the last hours of this shift go by as painless as possible.

Four hours later I punch out, clean out my cab, and get in my own car. 20 minutes drive home. The heater in my car is broken, so I sit as still as possible while I'm driving, trying to preserve warmth. My neck, shoulders and back hurt like hell after sitting in a cab for thirteen cohesive hours, but at least I'm home soon. At 3 am a Sunday morning I'm pretty much alone on the road. I only meet one pair of lonely headlights in the night, and I can't help but wonder what kind of fool is out driving at this time, and laugh dryly as I realizes that I am just that kind of fool.

When I finally get home I've lost the sensation of my feet and hands. I try as silently as possible to unlock the front door with unfeeling hands, and sneak in on frozen feet.

I smile to myself as I see that every light is on in the house. Not wanting to be alone in the dark, Catty left them all on. I hang of my jacket and take off my shoes and start walking round the house, turning the lights of one by one, and methodically letting the darkness into our home. When I'm done I walk into the bedroom to find Catty sound asleep. A expression of serenity on her beautiful face.

Maybe she knows that I'm home now.

I start to undress, starting with the noose they call a tie and undo the top button on my shirt, and for the first time in hours I'm able to breath freely. As I gasp air into my lungs, my shoulders and back reminds me of their pain. I suppress a groan, and try to feebly massage the affected areas. Instinctively I look at my watch and can't manage to suppress the groan that follows. 04:46. The kids will wake up around seven. So a little more than two hours. I look at Catty and I see a small expression of sorrow ghosting across her features as she turns in the bed. I would like nothing more than to lie down next to her and wrap my arms around her, and pull her close. But I can't. My head is tiered, my body sore, and my soul heavy, but I can't.

It doesn't feel like I've deserved it yet.

Instead I go out for a smoke. Letting the tar, smoke and cold air fill my lungs. A part of wonders why I feel like this. But the rest of me have no interest or will to contemplate such things right now. I've had enough of thoughts for one night. I put out my cigarette and go inside.

"Is that you, honey..?"

Catty's sweet voice is like a blissful relief from the silence in the house. I nearly break down just by hearing her voice. I almost start crying from the relief that the sound of her voice grants me. I'm a second away from running into the bedroom to embrace her. I want to tell her everything. To vomit all my thoughts and feelings over her, hoping that she will make everything better, like she's done so many times before.

But I don't.

I clench my fists and grit my teeth as I answer her.

"Yes, it's me honey. Go back to sleep, and I'll come to bed soon.." I lie to her. She mumbles an answer and drift of into sleep again. I stand in silence a moment that seems to last an hour before I go to sit down at the computer. In two hours the kids will wake up. I will make them breakfast and spend the morning with them. I will let Catty sleep, and make her a cup of coffee when she wakes up. That's the least I can do for her.

And now I'm sitting here, wondering what the fuck is wrong with me...

• JC 042, Fuzzy, Authrix and 1 other like this

Posted Image

#2 JC 042

JC 042

Sons of The Fallen clan leader

• GWRS Governing Council
  • 9,552 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:00 PM

This is a script. Which is going to be a movie. Which Morgan Freeman is going to narrate in third person. And is going to win ALL the Oscars!

Spoiler

• Iron K likes this

Posted Image

JC: 99% Anime, 1% hot gas

#3 Authrix

Authrix

Chief Organ Thief

• Acolyte
  • 3,926 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:20 PM

Hey Iron. In all seriousness, you OK dude?

You need your head examined - CruciasNZ

Authrix stop making me spill things on my laptop with what you post - Pony

I cannot oblige Pony.

#4 Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Death Guard Warmaster

• Elite Member
  • Others: ,
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:46 PM

Damn man, don't work yourself to death buddy. :/

I don't think Farther's For Justice will allow you in the protest where you will be running around on a really high roof while pissed off your face

#5 MetalHead666X

MetalHead666X

Sorcerer Supreme of the Thousand Sons

• GWRS Governing Council
  • 2,438 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:10 PM

"Thoughts from the Iron Kab"

Or something.

But I agree with the last two posts. If this is your life then you may want to take a bit of time.

I mean I understand that it is a pain to get time off of work. Do what you can.

But on another note on what JC said, what you wrote was quite poetic. You start writing that stuff into a book of some sort, either fictionalized of as memoirs than you may find a way to take you mind off work and such.

I DAMN LOVE BOOKS. I would write more if my handwriting wasent terrible. But then I realise, I have a laptop. With Microsoft Word.

Its a funny life.

Two Giratina are better than one.

Posted Image

Thanks to Astral Shadow of Serebii for the Signiture

#6 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

Squeak Squeak Mother F***ers

• Administrators
  • Others: GWRS 2.0 Supporter, GWRS Governing Council
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:12 PM

Gotta say you've written it well bro. I know the feeling of being stuck at arms length from the ones you love by circumstance, it's not fun but if you love each other it's better than anything else ^^

Do Not XBL-Message or PM Me Website or Community Issues/Requests.
Use The Support Centre Instead!

cruSig2.jpg

#7 Iron K

Iron K

A Berserker's Soul in a Pacifist's Body!

• Premium Member
  • 1,833 posts
  • Xbox Live:Iron K

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:24 AM

Calm down everyone, and don't get your panties in a knot. Damn, you make me feel like an attention seeker..

Don't misunderstand me, I appreciate your concern and kind words. But I just wanted to vent some steam in the middle of the night, and I just wrote it all down. If it hadn't been for Catty insisting, I wouldn't have posted it here. Or anywhere else for that matter..

Usually I don't bother people I know (or random strangers...) with my problems, but as Catty put it, might feel better to actually "Say it out loud".

But who knew that a peak into the life of Iron could be so serious?

In all seriousness, everything I wrote is true in itself. To keep my life afloat I need to work with something that keeps me away from the life I want to have. And it's far from the kind of work I'm used to. I'm used to work with my hands, to tire out my body. Now I sit in a car all day/night driving drunk people so that they can become even more intoxicated.

And now when Catty started working, the time we spend together is diminishing faster than I care to admit.

But we'll manage. We always do.

For each others sake.

This is a script. Which is going to be a movie. Which Morgan Freeman is going to narrate in third person. And is going to win ALL the Oscars!

Spoiler

But damn, that made me laugh... But I'll probably save money and narrate myself..  :P

• JC 042 likes this

Posted Image

#8 Authrix

Authrix

Chief Organ Thief

• Acolyte
  • 3,926 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 05:30 PM

I think it's a testament to how well you wrote, that some of us were concerned.

You need your head examined - CruciasNZ

Authrix stop making me spill things on my laptop with what you post - Pony

I cannot oblige Pony.

#9 Talos Valcoran

Talos Valcoran

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • 1,202 posts
  • Xbox Live:Archmage Talos
  • PSN:Morgoth1100
  • Social Groups:Raven Guard

Posted 08 February 2014 - 05:43 PM

That was kind of sad, But the way you write is awesome.:D

• JC 042 likes this

If you win, you live. If you lose, you die. If you don't fight, you can't win! - Eren Yaeger (Attack on Titan)

#10 JC 042

JC 042

Sons of The Fallen clan leader

• GWRS Governing Council
  • 9,552 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:06 PM

I want everyone to reread this in Morgan Freemans voice in third person. It's amazing!

Posted Image

JC: 99% Anime, 1% hot gas

Change Theme!