Photo

Patriotism!

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 Iron K

Iron K

A Berserker's Soul in a Pacifist's Body!

• Premium Member
  • Others: GWRS 2.0 Supporter
  • 1,833 posts
  • Xbox Live:Iron K

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:34 AM

Webster defines Patriotism as follows:

Patriotism (pa-tri-ot-ismnoun: Love for, or devotion, to one's country.

Hardly the most extensive description, but accurate nonetheless. I am proud to say that I am a patriot, and I know that I am far from alone here on GWRS. Personally I would say that Patriotism is one of the greatest feelings in the world, and I think that there are a few of you that would agree to this.

But there is a fine line between Patriotism and Nationalism. A dangerously fine line. For where Patriotism is love for one's country and nation, Nationalism is basically the same thing, but also the belief that all other countries is inferior. This, per se, is not wrong. As long as you keep it to yourself. In a internet discussion, Nationalism feeds the flame wars better than napalm... And I will have none of that in this thread!

I wanted to start this thread (or topic..? :wacko:) to get the opportunity to experience the patriotism of other, as well as show my own. But to avoid the above mentioned flame war everyone should understand the following:

• This thread is not about who's country is better/best, this is about those of us who love our country.
  • We do not talk shit about other opinion, only silently accept them as a different opinion than our own.
  • We post reasons why we love our nation, not reasons why our nation is "the best fucking country in the world".
  • Feel free to discuss, debate, ask questions and joke around. But do it without stepping on someones toes.

Chaos Gods willing, this will save this thread from igniting, at least for a short while...  <_<

To start things of I thought all interested could post five reasons why you love your country. 

And as always, as the thread/topic starter, I get the privilege of going first!  :D

Spoiler

Posted Image

#2 palin2004

palin2004

Chaos Lord Sorcerer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:09 AM

Freedom of speech, from oppression and the right to the persuit of happiness. However I do believe my country inferior to many other countries due to our psycho church pushing fanatic ways.

9JeXAbU.jpg

Do not wonder those who are good without God, Pitty those who need God to be good.

#3 Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Death Guard Warmaster

• Elite Member
  • Others: ,
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:20 AM

Hmmm patriotism eh? Well lets see if I can think of five reasons I love England...

1) Fish and Chips. To us it's such a simple thing but it's also such a beautiful thing as it doesn't matter what walf of life you're from, rich or poor, everyone enjoys a bag of chips.

2) The bulldog. Just look at its name. The thing is like the gangster of the dog world. A picture of a Bulldog with the Union Jack as a backdrop makes me feel warm inside every time.

3) Football. Yes that's right, football. Not "soccer." You play with a ball and use your foot. Football really brings people together over here. There's nothing like getting down to the pub that has sky sports on the go and watching the game. The atmosphere there is something you just won't find anywhere else.

4) The countryside. Now being a country boy and having grown up surrounded by the farmlands and fields of Yorkshire, I absolutely adore the countryside and fresh air of England.

5) The weather. The weather over here is absolute shite and yet I love it. The main reason being that the weather channel is always wrong so each day is a complete surprise.
  • palin2004 likes this

I don't think Farther's For Justice will allow you in the protest where you will be running around on a really high roof while pissed off your face

#4 dx144

dx144

Amon Amarth, Sabaton, Red Army Choir and Ensiferum Fan

• Elite Member
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:23 AM

Wonder how long before Fuzzy is all over this thread =P

I just think Britain is incredible. The history fucking richer than Bill Gates. We've had one of the world's largest empires, we fought and won in both of the world wars from the start even when things look pretty bleak. We have made thousands of inventions, scientific and medical discoveries such as Penicillin. We've won a war with most countries in the world.

The heroicness of the Empire's armies. Outnumber almost everywhere and still fought on. Usually won. Waterloo that fucked up some Frenchie getting too big which is funny because he was rather short, even though it was a defeat when the British forces told to hold fought thousands of Zulus and many were given the VC (Victoria Cross) for their bravery and for a third example the battle of Trafalgar Square although Lord Nelson died he did defeat a massive outnumbering force. Then the Duke of Wellington who reformed the Empire's Armies and made it so they were more disciplined although through methods that now would be deemed inhumane to give someone a hundred lashes for stealing from the local population but it worked. Kept everyone in line and people feel better when you aren't killing, stealing or *CENSORED* them or their families.

We have the NHS which according to some people in the country is why everyone else comes to this country...

Kind of cool how that Britain is made up from Anglo-Saxons, Anglo-Romans, Normans, Norwegians, Celts and probably a load others I'm forgetting. 

The language which is one of the most spoken languages in the world.

Although since I'm British is it not a God given right I can insult every other country and call them inferior? D=

• Fuzzy likes this

"You fiend, have I never encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church?" - The Baby-Eating Bishop of Bath and Wells

#5 Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Death Guard Warmaster

• Elite Member
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:10 PM

Already here ;)

I don't think Farther's For Justice will allow you in the protest where you will be running around on a really high roof while pissed off your face

#6 dx144

dx144

• Elite Member
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:21 PM

Well then you're too fast for me! ;)

Another reason to love Britain. Monty Python.

Also Palin if you don't mind me asking where do you live. I live in England and its rather laid back for religion matters but there is always something to rock the boat now and again. I mean we do have the Church of England but that is more a sham thing anyway. 

Edited by dx144, 06 January 2014 - 02:27 PM.

"You fiend, have I never encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church?" - The Baby-Eating Bishop of Bath and Wells

#7 palin2004

palin2004

Chaos Lord Sorcerer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:30 PM

Good ol Murica here...but I'll say this, I have my job because people are greedy and lazy.

9JeXAbU.jpg

Do not wonder those who are good without God, Pitty those who need God to be good.

#8 Authrix

Authrix

Chief Organ Thief

• Acolyte
  • 3,926 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:36 PM

My patriotism belongs solely to #GothicWars.

*Ahem*

Right, taking it somewhat seriously.

Y'know, I'm not sure I am much of a patriot. Disclaimer: No, I'm not about to sell national secrets out to, say, Russia. Not like I know any anyways.

As far as I'm concerned, it's a landmass. I'm not sure there's anything here you couldn't find anywhere else, nor do I subscribe to the belief that the country I was born in is better than any other, objectively or otherwise. The Government is any mix of corrupt and/or incompetent, the weather is almost always terrible, and any semblance of the traditional British Gentleman has, sadly, died.

Sorry to poop on the parade somewhat, but I'm not about to pretend the country is better than it is.

Having said that...

Britian is a beautiful place, mostly. The countryside really is that picturesque and beautiful, if you can get to the right places to look at it properly. I mean the really "wild" places, none of this half-urban crap. Real countryside.

Our buildings. We have churches out the wazoo, and say what you will about religion, I'm talking about the buildings. Strictly, the architectural stuff - and it's fantastic. Go look at some of the famous cathedrals. In person, if you can. The size, considering when they were made, is ridiculous. They were literally made as big as possible to say "Hey, other towns! Feth you, ours is bigger!" What does that mean? Ridiculously big, elaborate churches made to look as impressive as possible. Maybe it's the history/architech nerd in me, but jeez, there's not much more impressive than one of the really good churches.

One last thing, and that's the good old "British attitude" - that is, the "stiff upper lip". No one does it quite like us.

Oh, Monty Python. Yes. Good shout.

Right, rant(ish) over. Go back to your drinks.

• LeadCrazySam likes this

You need your head examined - CruciasNZ

Authrix stop making me spill things on my laptop with what you post - Pony

I cannot oblige Pony.

#9 dx144

dx144

• Elite Member
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:05 PM

People are greedy and lazy everywhere I imagine. Just varies on the quantity.

#10 Authrix

Authrix

Chief Organ Thief

• Acolyte
  • 3,926 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 06:57 PM

Indeed, and by no means is Britain the worst (or, rather, most affluent) in it. Even so, Our leaders by and large are, shall we say, less than inspiring. Certain exceptions apply.

I cannot oblige Pony.

#11 JC 042

JC 042

Sons of The Fallen clan leader

• GWRS Governing Council
  • 9,552 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:28 PM

According to Fuzzy I am not allowed to take part in this discussion...

You unpatriotic little shit!

Edited by JC 042, 06 January 2014 - 08:29 PM.

• Fuzzy and palin2004 like this

Posted Image

JC: 99% Anime, 1% hot gas

#12 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

Squeak Squeak Mother F***ers

• Administrators
  • Others: GWRS 2.0 Supporter, GWRS Governing Council
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:34 PM

I was yanked against my will out of (Glasgow) Scotland as a teenager and condemned to life in a small town in New Zealand. This led to me developing a hatred for this place, and a nationalist pride for my home. However when I finally escaped my parents and moved to Christchurch I fell in love with this place and it's people. I wouldn't say I'm a patriot, but I wouldn't live anywhere else.

In the UK if someone smiles at you and asks personal questions when serving you in a store they are either trying to pull a fast one on you, or hitting on you; conversely everyone seems to do that here, Asians aside (they imported their culture of quiet family orientated professionalism as well as themselves). All of The Lord of The Rings was filmed here, so you're familiar with a lot of NZ terrain, I'll choose to show you a few of my favorite areas. One of the best things about here is that the South Island has every single terrain type aside from Ice Tundra; Desert (not the sand variety), Plains, Fjords, Rainforest, Mountains, Glaciers, Lake Districts - all within two days travel of my door. 

Spoiler

Do Not XBL-Message or PM Me Website or Community Issues/Requests.
Use The Support Centre Instead!

cruSig2.jpg

#13 dx144

dx144

• Elite Member
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:12 PM

According to Fuzzy I am not allowed to take part in this discussion...

I agree with Fuzzy. You'll be saying heresy and lies about the Empire! >=(

I live in the Countryside of England so its no so bad but its internet connection speeds are fucking atrocious. Government's way to fix this is put faster internet in certain places such as Town Halls. Although I think I come up to my local one which they put in the Social Club/Pub with an Xbox 360, a TV and fuck loads of other stuff they might not be too happy. I did take my laptop up there a while back and downloaded World In Conflict which only took me a few hours when before downloading something at my house of a similar 4-5GBs would take me about a day or two...

#14 JC 042

JC 042

• GWRS Governing Council
  • 9,552 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:54 AM

I live in the Countryside of England so its no so bad but its internet connection speeds are fucking atrocious. Government's way to fix this is put faster internet in certain places such as Town Halls. Although I think I come up to my local one which they put in the Social Club/Pub with an Xbox 360, a TV and fuck loads of other stuff they might not be too happy. I did take my laptop up there a while back and downloaded World In Conflict which only took me a few hours when before downloading something at my house of a similar 4-5GBs would take me about a day or two...

I almost pity you armish-like people :P Almost...

• dx144 likes this

Posted Image

#15 Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Death Guard Warmaster

• Elite Member
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:01 AM

Not a thing wrong with it JC, I grew up a country boy and our great and vast farmlands are one of the best things about this country. That and kebabs when you're hammered but they're technically Turkish.

#16 Authrix

Authrix

Chief Organ Thief

• Acolyte
  • 3,926 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:50 AM

Actually, I want to add a note for our language. It's a brutal amalgamation of almost every other spoken language in the world, a cornucopia of lexis torn from the tongues of the world. It unashamedly takes from pretty much every other language in the world. It is utterly unique, and the best thing about it? It's the most spoken language in the world by country. (By person it's Mandarin, but that's because China has a ridiculous amount of people in a relatively small area.)
Also, think of the worst swear word you know. End with a fricative (k, t, so on)? Saxon origin :D

Yes, I'm proud of our language.

I cannot oblige Pony.

#17 dx144

dx144

• Elite Member
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:23 PM

Fuck, *CENSORED*, *CENSORED* lovely =D

Our language is just an orgy of fuck loads of other languages. Yep English is an orgy of languages with a fucked up child with several father languages. Wonderful I know! =D

Well JC we don't deny ideas like the wheel... If the Government wanted to they could actually help out the countryside but nah David Cameron probably doesn't even know what the countryside is...

Although I would say some of the people in the countryside are the problem. Like the Wind farms that would help with generating electricity but we shouldn't get them because they're eyesores and ruin the landscape while you know Nuclear power plants look wonderful... I do like living in the countryside. Only problems are there isn't a market for about 10+ miles, shit internet but because I live in a small community almost everyone knows everyone except for the people who deliberately isolate themselves. I mean the people who I've never seen and I've lived here for 18 years... =/

Edited by dx144, 07 January 2014 - 12:27 PM.

#18 ebonybrotherhood

ebonybrotherhood

Blood Thirsty Psychopath

• Members
  • Others:
  • Pip
  • 167 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:26 PM

Oh, well I love to hate my country. Good old England and its terrible weather and government and people and so on. But, however, I love this countries opinion on things and how throughout history England has always been 'that one prick in the corner' and I love that.     

How could my Chaos Space Marine possibly be this cute?

#19 dx144

dx144

• Elite Member
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:10 PM

I love the English weather. Rains all summer except for a day or two! =D

#20 JC 042

JC 042

• GWRS Governing Council
  • 9,552 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:39 PM

English is the most common language throughout the world because we conquered/enslaved most of it =P

Well JC we don't deny ideas like the wheel... If the Government wanted to they could actually help out the countryside but nah David Cameron probably doesn't even know what the countryside is...

Oi! taking the piss out of our government is my job, ain't that right Fuzzy? :P

And on the topic of wind farms I do think we need loads more, I don't see why people hate them (except when it's problems like noise, then I always agree with them), they look way better than the countryside IMO.

Posted Image

Change Theme!