CruciasNZ

Squeak Squeak Mother F***ers

• Administrators
  • Others: GWRS 2.0 Supporter, GWRS Governing Council
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:55 AM

Awesome pics Crucias, well done.

FUCKIT!!!

I knocked over my Burnished Gold pottle today and then immediately afterwards knocked over the Badab Black. Sigh.

On the other hand I got another 5 Tactical Marines done, 5 more plus 5 Terminators to go!

Do Not XBL-Message or PM Me Website or Community Issues/Requests.
Use The Support Centre Instead!

cruSig2.jpg

#22 Naust

Naust

Meatshield

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:32 PM

Quite awesome Cruciaz, really diggin the work thus far!

Didn't expect you to register mate, so appreciate it. Blood Red and Skull White are REAL pricks to paint on. I have found if I paint on top of Tallarn Flesh it works better, any tips of your own Naust?

I usually do scab red before I do blood red, really helps out in the long run. Besides, if you see areas that the blood red paint is thin, it'll still be red so people won't notice it, you can fix it later!

We have ripped many souls apart from this realm of flesh, let us dine upon what is left, our time is now and my ascension is nigh! - Naust,The Prince of Chaos, speaking to all his Chaos brethren of the fallen Graia Crusade

#23 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

• Administrators
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:35 PM

After xmas I'll probably buy Bleached Bone for Skull White painting and Scab Red for Blood Red. Until January my funds are limited. Been loving being back in the Warhammer scene, it's been too many years. Though I need to get some form of protective case for the models ASAP. Models, shelves and Earthquakes is tempting fate a bit

cruSig2.jpg

#24 J NOSK36

J NOSK36

The poniest of all ponies... PONY PONY PONY PONY

• Acolyte
  • Others: GWRS 2.0 Supporter
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:51 PM

i still have a land raider and some dark angle veterans that will soon be templars...plus i think i have two attack bikes still
Posted Image

I am the Night!!!!!!!

#IllumiGothic

#25 Domine Nox

Domine Nox

Regent of Ultramar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 12:03 AM

Toolboxes are the best affordable transport. Just line the slots with foam.

Posted Image

Nolo mihi libet sis multo felis.

#26 Naust

Naust

Meatshield

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:09 PM

Yea, that would be a bit of a pain Crucias
We have ripped many souls apart from this realm of flesh, let us dine upon what is left, our time is now and my ascension is nigh! - Naust,The Prince of Chaos, speaking to all his Chaos brethren of the fallen Graia Crusade

#27 NeoBiggs

NeoBiggs

--Classified--

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:08 PM

A couple of questions for you...

1. Do you thin your paints? If not, I would recommend doing so to avoid the caked on look that some of your models have (mainly the white paint). I can point you in the right direction for thinning recipes since I use several.

2. Do you try to paint white over a black primer? Dheneb Stone foundation (thinned) makes for a great undercoat and requires fewer coats of white in the end.

3. How come you don't drill out your barrels? I picked up the little dremel set for like 6 bucks and I cannot imagine not having it, especially for pinning bits together, etc. It would be worth while to use a nail or something with a sharp point prior to drilling to give yourself a guiding hole to keep them centered.

4. Have you considered using washes? They will bring out all the details and add another layer of depth/realism to the minis. GW washes are fine if used correctly, otherwise they can produce negative results as well. I also have numerous wash recipes if you are interested.

I cannot stress thinning the paints enough though, since you will not obscure details and the paint wont look like it was caked on. If you are fine with them the way they are then right on! After all, you are the only person whose opinion should matter when it comes to your models and the money/time you spend on them. Just thought I would offer some friendly advice!
We got tactical smart missiles, phase-plasma pulse rifles, RPGs, we got sonic electronic ball breakers! We got nukes, we got knives, sharp sticks...

#28 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

• Administrators
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:13 AM

1. Do you thin your paints? If not, I would recommend doing so to avoid the caked on look that some of your models have (mainly the white paint). I can point you in the right direction for thinning recipes since I use several.

No I do not, it's something on my list of things to learn

2. Do you try to paint white over a black primer? Dheneb Stone foundation (thinned) makes for a great undercoat and requires fewer coats of white in the end.

I have started using Tallarn Flesh as a primer, it seems to work well. I am on an extremely limited budget so cannot afford new paints

3. How come you don't drill out your barrels? I picked up the little dremel set for like 6 bucks and I cannot imagine not having it, especially for pinning bits together, etc. It would be worth while to use a nail or something with a sharp point prior to drilling to give yourself a guiding hole to keep them centered.

Can't afford a drill either, $6 spare is something I do not have till Feb due to ongoing legal issues with co-tennant

4. Have you considered using washes? They will bring out all the details and add another layer of depth/realism to the minis. GW washes are fine if used correctly, otherwise they can produce negative results as well. I also have numerous wash recipes if you are interested.

I use Badab Black because I own it, gotta say I am impressed.

I cannot stress thinning the paints enough though, since you will not obscure details and the paint wont look like it was caked on. If you are fine with them the way they are then right on! After all, you are the only person whose opinion should matter when it comes to your models and the money/time you spend on them. Just thought I would offer some friendly advice!

I don't mind the white except on the Dreadnought's Right Arm, that one bit bugs me a bit. Can you post your thinning links in a seperate tutorial thread in this section so we can all benefit?

Thanks for all the feedback though, it's been 5 years since I did any painting or playing at all, forgotten so much :(

cruSig2.jpg

#29 NeoBiggs

NeoBiggs

--Classified--

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:19 AM

Posted some information in the modeling section. I completely understand what you are saying, this hobby is not cheap by any means and I have spent a great deal of money on just supplies alone.

Real life priorities always come first, so if you are able to get the things you need, great! If not, I understand completely. I just figured I would offer suggestions as to how to take your painting forward. I only wish I had someone to tell me all of this back when I first started, it took a couple years of reading and watching tutorials online to get to the point I am at now and I am still a couple years off from painting like the pros.

Def. keep us posted on the progress of your army though!
We got tactical smart missiles, phase-plasma pulse rifles, RPGs, we got sonic electronic ball breakers! We got nukes, we got knives, sharp sticks...

Change Theme!