#1 trophicmocha

trophicmocha

Supreme Sorcerer Lord of the Thousand Sons

• Members
  • Others: ,
  • PipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:04 PM

Ok I know that flyers are going to feature quite strongly now in 6th ed 40k or as heavily as you can within 1500 points, so with that in mind I chose to go with my Imperial Guard and came up with this list, I however would like your feedback on it and your opinions of it.
HQ
Company Command Squad
3 sniper rifles & 1 vox-caster
Officer has a bolter and a bolt pistol
Squad is mounted in a chimera which has a pintle heavy stubber

Elites
Storm Trooper Squad
2 extra Troopers & 2 melta guns
Squad is mounted in a chimera with a pintle heavy stubber

Troops
Veteran Squad
3 melta guns & 1 vox-caster
Squad mounted in a chimera with a pintle heavy stubber

Infantry Platoon
Platoon Command Squad
1 vox-caster & 3 flamers
Officer has a bolter & bolt pistol
squad mounted in a chimera with a pintle heavy stubber, turret heavy flamer and hull heavy flamer

Infantry Squad x3
1 plasma gun & 1 vox-caster
Squads mounted in a chimera with a pintle heavy stubber

Heavy Support
Hydra Flak Tank Battery
2 Hydra flak tanks

Leman russ vanquisher x2
hull mounted lascannon

You will note that i have not once bought any heavy weapons and that is because that is what the Squads chimera is for with its loadouts.
Fulgrim is our Lord, Slaanesh is our master, free your senses

#2 Draco Ny'ade

Draco Ny'ade

Forgefather

• Interrogator
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:51 PM

Valkyries?
Posted Image

#3 Authrix

Authrix

Chief Organ Thief

• Acolyte
  • Others: GWRS 2.0 Supporter
  • 3,926 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:14 PM

Ok, I'll see what I can do to help. Guard is my main, though I've not played that much 6th.

Snipers aren't that great IMO. They're simply not effective enough. Same goes for the commander's bolt weapons; you're not really going to find much of a use for them that will justify spending points.

Stormtroopers are great, but you might as well deep strike them and slag a tank with the meltas. If you have the points, two squads of five with two meltas in each is a good method of killing tanks. Will they die? Probably, but they'll likely take their points back.

Veteran squads are great too IMO, remember they can fire the meltas from the Chimera hatch, not just lasguns.

Platoon command works well, but they could probably use a chimera with the flamers. Same advice as above in that case.

Not sure about plasma on Infantry Squads, but it's by no means a problem. My reasoning is that overheating isn't likely to be saved by a 5+, while BS3 means half the shots you do get off will miss. However, you've also got some solid anti AV11 down, MEQ and TEQ in your infantry, which could make the difference.

Hydras, a solid choice.

Your choice in Russes is interesting. While I love the Vanquisher, I think that the amount of melta you are running is probably sufficient already, and you could find yourself needing a bit more anti infantry at times. On top of this, while the Vanquisher can snap fire at flyers, it won't reliably hit, though if it does it'll be game over for them.

I'd advise looking at alternatives - The demolisher, while unable to target flyers (Ordnance), will smash through any vehicle that gets within 24". Take two and double the fun. I use them every game and they've yet to fail me.

The standard Russ is still a firm choice. STR 8 ordnance can lay waste to MEQs, light vehicles and has a 33% chance per shot of putting a Hull point on AV 14.

The Exterminator is also great. 4 shots at strength 7 - twin linked. Say goodbye to flyers and light vehicles; this tank is also great at shredding infantry.

Finally the Eradicator. It's quite dependant on who you're fighting, but it's best considered as a long range heavy flamer. Will it kill tanks? No. Infantry in cover. Definitely. Consider Tau pathfinders hiding in a ruin with a 2+ cover save. One shot from this and they're gone. Very effective against guard and Xenos.

Sorry for the essay, but I think there might be something useful in there ;)

Edit: Going off Valkyries, Vendettas are generally accepted as being better; whether you take them or not is up to you. Money wise, they're expensive, points wise they are broken to high hell.

You need your head examined - CruciasNZ

Authrix stop making me spill things on my laptop with what you post - Pony

I cannot oblige Pony.

#4 Draco Ny'ade

Draco Ny'ade

Forgefather

• Interrogator
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:57 PM

Leman Russ excecutioners are really worth having
Posted Image

#5 trophicmocha

trophicmocha

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:15 PM

I have designed this list to be a primarily a mechinised guard list so that any squad that can have a dedicated transport does, this does mean that I have gone against the grain and not gone for valkyries/vendettas for two reasons 1) too expensive money and points wise & 2) they don`t fit into the fluff of the army.

@ Authrix the chimera is there for the storm troopers to hide in, after they have their done deep strike to avoid retaliation and/or as fire support as needed. The options for the command squad were out of neccessity points wise. The vanquisher is one of my fav tanks and is there to scare my opponent and distract from the storm troopers and veterans rather than destroying tanks but if they do even better.

#6 Authrix

Authrix

Chief Organ Thief

• Acolyte
  • 3,926 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:24 PM

No one is scared of Vanquishers that is smaller than a vehicle, simply because it kills a maximum of two guys a turn, averaging one without cover/INV saves. I love it as well, and believe fervently that it has a place, but it's important to realise that it does have its limits. I only take more than one in a spearhead or Apoc game. As for distractions, It only works as one until your enemy realises it doesn't have a blast, or they're running a lot of tanks themselves. A varient would be able to assist more effectively, while still being big and scary. Of course the final choice is yours, I'm just offering suggestions; at the end of the day, you've got a good list there, I just think it could do with some tweaks.

I cannot oblige Pony.

#7 Danguinius

Danguinius

Chaplain

• Members
  • Others:
  • Pip
  • 280 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:41 PM

Put demolisher leman russ tanks on a sky landing pad with shields up in the middle of the table for much lolz!

My blood angels often suffer at the hands of my buddy's imperial guard with the new 'half your force on the table' reserve rule, it really fucks my drop pod/deepstrike force. I spend half the game trying to get at his forces turtled up at the very edge of the board. BUT once I do, it's crunch time.

Incredibly satisfying seething three tanks in a squadron all going boom when charged by death company and a chaplain.

Hydra flak tanks are a good choice and would give me concern as in turn two I'd be wanting to bring on my stormraven. So I'd have to slag them before with my fast vindicator and fast lascannon predators on board or consider delaying / altering my reserve tactics.
Posted Image

Blood Angel since 1992

GamerTag: DanFZ604

#8 Authrix

Authrix

Chief Organ Thief

• Acolyte
  • 3,926 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:23 PM

To be honest, Stormravens are the only flyer the Hydra struggles with. Although it has skyfire and twinlinked, It is still only Strength 7, meaning it needs 5s to glance and 6s to penetrate. The average would be 3 hits, 1 glance/pen, meaning it's likely to do 1HP of damage, possibly with an added effect of stun, etc, before being slagged by meltas. That is per Hydra though, so taking two doubles the likleyhood of damage from 33% to 66%.

I cannot oblige Pony.

#9 Danguinius

Danguinius

Chaplain

• Members
  • Others:
  • Pip
  • 280 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:19 PM

I long ago stopped weighing the likelihoods, percentages and outcomes. All it comes down to is the luck of the dice. Yes you might statistically get one pen, but Lady Luck may also throw you an explodes damage result. Conversely, the same stormraven might blitz the tanks with armaments and deploying units.

It's all in the hands of the dice gods!
Posted Image

Blood Angel since 1992

GamerTag: DanFZ604

#10 Authrix

Authrix

Chief Organ Thief

• Acolyte
  • 3,926 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:31 PM

Ha, indeed it is. Mathhammer is a good guide, but not foolproof as you say.

I know someone that lost a game simply because he had so many units overheat with plasma weapons that they ran away.

I cannot oblige Pony.

#11 trophicmocha

trophicmocha

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:32 PM

Authrix I know the place of all my tanks and chose the vanquisher purely because of its ant-tank goodness and have them target nothing else as that is what they are designed and built for.

#12 Authrix

Authrix

Chief Organ Thief

• Acolyte
  • 3,926 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:16 PM

I have no doubt of that. I was merely offering suggestions; you can take them or leave them.

I cannot oblige Pony.

#13 trophicmocha

trophicmocha

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:57 AM

No bub i know that and ivery much appreciate the advice mate, I thought i would try and explain the reasons behind me making the choices that i did.

#14 Authrix

Authrix

Chief Organ Thief

• Acolyte
  • 3,926 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:16 PM

Fair enough, I'm just offering alternatives for you to consider. Have you tried Pask in a Leman Russ?

I cannot oblige Pony.

#15 trophicmocha

trophicmocha

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:25 PM

Not yet, though I have been tempted to try him out, will have to re work the list to fit him in, question for you what do think of the new hellhounds and the variants mate.

#16 Draco Ny'ade

Draco Ny'ade

Forgefather

• Interrogator
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:35 PM

dont take the hellhound, do take the other two, melta-doom or Chem Cannon
Posted Image

#17 Authrix

Authrix

Chief Organ Thief

• Acolyte
  • 3,926 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:14 PM

Pask is nice, if a little pricey. I like him for the extra BS and weapon strength.

The Hellhounds are interesting. What you use depends on what you usually play against; Hellhounds make a mess of Tau, Eldar, and so on, while the Bane Wolf eats marines nicely. Not sold on the Devil Dog personally, I like the idea but I find it doesn't really work too well in practice. Tanks are never going to be close enough together to get two slagged in one shot.

For your list, if you were going to expand it to say 2000 points, I think the Hellhound and Banewolf could be worth a go; they can scout ahead of your chimeras if need be, and easily keep pace with them, so they might be a better fit than some other options. They can also have a sneaky multimelta on the front :cool: The only problem with them is that they compete with Vendettas for a fast attack slot. I'd say they're underrated personally.

Oh, don't forget they can be taken in Kill team games ;)

I cannot oblige Pony.

#18 trophicmocha

trophicmocha

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:46 AM

Its just im thinking of going to gw's council of war event with some mates so im not entirely sure on what i will be facing and I too like the idea of the devil dog but not entirely sold on it and Draco i have to disagree with you about hellhounds as i have used them to great effect against my mates Tau army, they are so worth their points.

#19 Draco Ny'ade

Draco Ny'ade

Forgefather

• Interrogator
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:19 AM

In my experience they tend to die before getting anywhere near the target, and I use the devil dog as a heavy infantry destroyer, terminators and the kind
Posted Image

#20 Authrix

Authrix

Chief Organ Thief

• Acolyte
  • 3,926 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:11 AM

But a demolisher does it better. More expensive but more durable too. Hellhounds are not front line assault vehicles, they work best as flanking units. I think hellhounds will work wonders in your list, especially if you're already comfortable with them.

I cannot oblige Pony.

Change Theme!