14 replies to this topic

#1 Doomdrinker1

Doomdrinker1

Brother Icarus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:58 PM

Well does anyone here play dystopian wars.
I have a Prussian fleet consisting of
1x Drednought
2x Battleships
1x Aircraft carrier
3x Cruisers
3x Bombers
12x Frigates

For anyone who doesnt know what dystopian wars is heres a link
http://www.spartanga.../dystopian-wars
Posted Image

#2 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

Squeak Squeak Mother F***ers

• Administrators
  • Others: GWRS 2.0 Supporter, GWRS Governing Council
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:04 PM

I only recently came across this because they had it at the tournament I was at. Very interesting looking game, more importantly much much cheaper than 40K

Do Not XBL-Message or PM Me Website or Community Issues/Requests.
Use The Support Centre Instead!

cruSig2.jpg

#3 Doomdrinker1

Doomdrinker1

Brother Icarus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:12 PM

It is but it is realy complicated but once you get used to it the games can be very fun espesialy with all the diferant aspects.
For example the prusians are famed for the bording actions and in a game I recently had with a friend I completely eliminated his battle ship (which was refusing to die to confentional means) by boreding it with a single cruiser.
Its very much a game were its not clear who will be the victor untill the very end.
Posted Image

#4 Authrix

Authrix

Chief Organ Thief

• Acolyte
  • Others: GWRS 2.0 Supporter
  • 3,926 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:19 PM

I hated that game from picking it up. I found the pieces had no character, the rules were iffy and complicated, and the lore was lacklustre.

Just my $0.2

You need your head examined - CruciasNZ

Authrix stop making me spill things on my laptop with what you post - Pony

I cannot oblige Pony.

#5 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

• Administrators
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:27 PM

I hated that game from picking it up. I found the pieces had no character, the rules were iffy and complicated, and the lore was lacklustre.

Just my $0.2

That's a bummer, looked pretty interesting to me. It used cards as well which is what piqued my interest. Same with Warmachine

cruSig2.jpg

#6 Doomdrinker1

Doomdrinker1

Brother Icarus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:17 AM

It is realy fun but id say most 40k players wont like it because its so much more complex fantasy players might like it better but it is still alot more complex.

Also if you do start just know this the people who made the rule book need to be shot as there are some rules that dont make any sense also the index page in the rulebook is the most useless peace of crap ever concieved. (lets just say it would be best if you implemented acouple house rules)

The cards do add a nice dinamic to the game compared with playing it without it but a good tip play it in baby steps do accouple games with bare bone basic rules and then start slowly adding in more complex stuff as there is alot to get the hang of.

Also the models I find are awesome come on who doesnt like steam punk.
Were 40k is mostly squad level fights maybe nboredeing on small skirmishes (not including apocolypse) This is war on a global scale you can have entire armardas of ships and whole armys fighting.

The pictures on the website are quite deceptive as the models are alot bigger than what they appear.
Posted Image

#7 Authrix

Authrix

Chief Organ Thief

• Acolyte
  • 3,926 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:27 AM

Warmahordes is quite good, though the skirmish scale can be offputting for some people. Heh, maybe I just don't like boats.

The rules problem for dystopian is that they're needlessly complex and arbitrary, whereas 40K at least makes a bit of sense.

I cannot oblige Pony.

#8 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

• Administrators
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:01 AM

The rules problem for dystopian is that they're needlessly complex and arbitrary, whereas 40K at least makes a bit of sense.

Have you even played 6th edition?!

If a flyer ends it's movement on top of an enemy Imperial Guardsman who is only armed with a roll of toilet roll, said flyer will explode unceremoniously.

Say you've got a flyer that doesn't hover (or didn't declare that it's hovering) and within 6" of that unit is a "Desperate Ally" (flying or ground) forcing a check. If your flyer rolls a '1' for "One Eye Open, said flyer will be unable to move that turn, resulting in it crashing.

Then you have Dante and Sanguinary guard who are 4" away from a Devastator squad; Dante rolls double 1 for charge and fails, resulting in an eaten overwatch followed by a free turn of raking from some very amused Devastators.

Then there's the Blood Angel Death Company Dreadnought, who gets an extra attack for every model he kills. Considering he has AP 3 Lightening Claws and hit's first due to high initiative, he can wipe out a full command squad in one turn without being hit once.

Then there's my personal favourite, only 3 races have Skyfire (Chaos, Guard & DAs). Everyone else has to drop $100 for the 100 point Aegis Defense Line (w/ Quadgun)

Summary: 6th edition is borked the fuck up

cruSig2.jpg

#9 Authrix

Authrix

Chief Organ Thief

• Acolyte
  • 3,926 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:51 AM

The blendernaut was a problem in 5th too. Besides, at least the basics are fairly solid. The core dystopian rules were unbalanced.

I cannot oblige Pony.

#10 ogreninja

ogreninja

dark sorcerer of the night lords

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:22 AM

im in agreement with cru on the fact 6th ed is broken have you seen the gun emplacement rule of if you have the representation of it you can have it hmmmm guard player with lots of spare death strike missles from manticore kits is gonna have a hell of an advantage. ive gone to infinity and drop zone commander for my futuristic wargame fix.
Posted Image

formidonis per obscurum

give them nothing, but take from them everything

#11 Doomdrinker1

Doomdrinker1

Brother Icarus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:18 PM

How are the core dystopian rules unbalenced granted the mpre complex stuff favors some of the races but then again the other races have other advantages.
In my opinion its more balanced than 40k purely because you ctivate one model/squadran at a time so its equal oppurtunity for both teams.
Posted Image

#12 Authrix

Authrix

Chief Organ Thief

• Acolyte
  • 3,926 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:22 PM

It was even more open to rules lawyers, and was unnecessary confusing. The main killer is that it's not individual or unique. There's no chance to significantly personalise an army, which really sucks IMO

I cannot oblige Pony.

#13 Doomdrinker1

Doomdrinker1

Brother Icarus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:04 PM

In that I agree with you alot of my chaos space marines are converstions so its a very uniqe army were as dystopian wars about as much as you can do is paint then uniqly
Posted Image

#14 Authrix

Authrix

Chief Organ Thief

• Acolyte
  • 3,926 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

I tried to do a chaos fleet,, didn't really work sadly. I'm not ragging on those that do or want to play it, just saying that I didn't enjoy it.

I cannot oblige Pony.

#15 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

• Administrators
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:48 PM

I might still get it so I have the change of pace

cruSig2.jpg

Change Theme!