Photo

Considering New Army Direction

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

Poll: Army (1 member(s) have cast votes)

Army

1. Path of Asuryan (4 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. Path of Khaine (4 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote

#1 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

Squeak Squeak Mother F***ers

• Administrators
  • Others: GWRS 2.0 Supporter, GWRS Governing Council
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:33 PM

Hey guys,

As a lot of you know I am a Warhammer 40K nut who had to sell my armies in order to fund Uni. Now that I am getting back into it I need to pick an army.

While Raven Guard are my current mini-army (and I will complete them to a scout force level) I don't want to play a human army because I have done that way too often.

After glancing through all the Fluff I have decided I want to make an Eldar army; however, which one?

If any of you have experience playing with or against the current generation of Eldar or Dark Eldar under the current rulebook I would appreciate opinions. In terms of doubles games, I will likely be allied with Tau (my friends army) from time to time, but mostly it'll be a solo army.

Just a final note, please don't junk my thread up with roleplaying or fluff related opinion, especially if you have no experience with the armies I mention.

Note: Khaine is DE, Asuryan is Eldar. Read the Eldar Novels to know wth I am on about if it makes no sense!

Do Not XBL-Message or PM Me Website or Community Issues/Requests.
Use The Support Centre Instead!

cruSig2.jpg

#2 Morentz01

Morentz01

Dark Apostle

• Members
  • Others: ,
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:43 AM

As an Eldar player of both the Eldar and the Dark Kin, I'd go with the Eldar. They are a very finite army, and you have to use combined arms to achieve any means of winning. There are no "death star" units in the Codex, but that is what makes it so fun to play. Not only that, but if you wish, you can build a specific Craftworld, or make your own.

My Eldar are basically Ulthwe', with the main colors being black and bleached bone. The aspect warriors all have their original aspect warrior colors, as seen in the Codex. I built my army with a heavy Guardian presence, but a lot of players shy away from them as they are pretty weak. But I still have plenty of success with them.

My army is as follows for 1850 points.
HQ:
Eldrad (Warlord)

ELITES:
10 Striking Scorpions w/ Exarch (Scorpion's Claw)

5 Wraithguard w/ Warlock (Singing Spear and Destructor)
- Wave Serpent w/ TL Brightlances and Shuriken Cannon

TROOPS:
10 Guardians w/ Warlock (Singing Spear and Destructor)

5 Pathfinders

HEAVY SUPPORT:
2 War Walkers w/ 4 Scatter Lasers

2 War Walkers w/ 4 Scatter Lasers

2 War Walkers w/ 4 Shuriken Cannons

FORTIFICATIONS:
Agies Defense Line w/ Quadgun

Over 3rd, 4th, 5th, and now 6th Editions, this army has seen some drastic overhauls. But I am still in love with the Eldar army as a whole.
Cast down the idols! Destroy the temples! Slay the priests! Show these fools that they worship nothing more than a rotting corpse!

#3 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

• Administrators
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:42 AM

I've played Eldar before, I have had Ulthwe and Biel-Tan armies before. Something that alarmed me today was that the current Eldar codex and model generation are from 2006.

I was really seeking statements or remarks about viability, nastiness and fun of play. I loved the specialization of my Eldar armies, how you had to consider the strengths and weaknesses of your units as opposed to just brute forcing it.

I've had a glance through the new DE codex and must say they have some very nice rules in there, I hope they go a similar direction with the 6th Ed Eldar codex due up next year regardless of my choice in army.

cruSig2.jpg

#4 Morentz01

Morentz01

Dark Apostle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:29 AM

All I can say, which of the armies interest you overall?
Cast down the idols! Destroy the temples! Slay the priests! Show these fools that they worship nothing more than a rotting corpse!

#5 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

• Administrators
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:03 AM

All I can say, which of the armies interest you overall?

I posted this because I am about equally interested in both armies. Eldar are easier to paint, but require more money to paint. Dark Eldar will be harder to paint, but I have never played them before.

I won't be buying these till the new year, so I have plenty of time to research, consider and gather opinons

cruSig2.jpg

#6 Morentz01

Morentz01

Dark Apostle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:32 AM

If I had to choose an army, I would have Eldar because they are all round army with the ability to damage enemy psykers. Another good thing is that you can actually have an alliance with Dark Eldar if need be. If you are thinking of having Dark Eldar and Tau together then that there is a bad idea, because every army besides Eldar are desperate allies for Dark Eldar.

#7 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

• Administrators
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:37 AM

If I had to choose an army, I would have Eldar because they are all round army with the ability to damage enemy psykers. Another good thing is that you can actually have an alliance with Dark Eldar if need be. If you are thinking of having Dark Eldar and Tau together then that there is a bad idea, because every army besides Eldar are desperate allies for Dark Eldar.

Desperate Allies?

cruSig2.jpg

#8 sonofultramar

sonofultramar

Proud Imperial Guardsmen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:58 AM

Hey guys,

As a lot of you know I am a Warhammer 40K nut who had to sell my armies in order to fund Uni. Now that I am getting back into it I need to pick an army.

While Raven Guard are my current mini-army (and I will complete them to a scout force level) I don't want to play a human army because I have done that way too often.

After glancing through all the Fluff I have decided I want to make an Eldar army; however, which one?

If any of you have experience playing with or against the current generation of Eldar or Dark Eldar under the current rulebook I would appreciate opinions. In terms of doubles games, I will likely be allied with Tau (my friends army) from time to time, but mostly it'll be a solo army.

Just a final note, please don't junk my thread up with roleplaying or fluff related opinion, especially if you have no experience with the armies I mention.

Note: Khaine is DE, Asuryan is Eldar. Read the Eldar Novels to know wth I am on about if it makes no sense!

Imperial Guard is the way to go.

Posted Image

#9 Authrix

Authrix

Chief Organ Thief

• Acolyte
  • Others: GWRS 2.0 Supporter
  • 3,926 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:45 AM

Not what he's asking for dude. Cru's set his parameters, so we have to answer within them.

DE, from what I've heard, took a real kick in the balls with 6th. Overwatch? Forget about wyches. Webway portals? Sure, if you don't mind waiting a turn to assault after popping out. A turn for your opponent to blow whatever lightly armoured unit you decided to pull through. Assaulting out of vehicles? no dice. The only way to run DE is a haemonculus coven, which is often expensive points wise and monetarily.

Eldar, while being an older book, have fared better than their dark cousins in the new edition. Being an older codex also means they are more likely to get an update soon (DE had to wait twelve years for theirs. Twelve. Fething. Years.)

If you really can't decide, I would recommend running Eldar with DE allies, or vice versa if you want the Harlie bomb (Two Archons with Shadow fields, farseer with fortune to re-roll the 2+ INV save, and as many harlies as you want. Keep in cover, put an Archon at each end and tank off a ridiculous amount of small arms fire.)

AFAIK, Eldar don't have flyers, while DE do, so that could be something to consider.

You need your head examined - CruciasNZ

Authrix stop making me spill things on my laptop with what you post - Pony

I cannot oblige Pony.

#10 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

• Administrators
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:04 AM

Cheers Autrix, very helpful. That no assualt rule really checks my plans for both armies, I was considering transport charge army but might need to rethink that one.

Eldar have more fliers than DE FYI.

cruSig2.jpg

#11 Authrix

Authrix

Chief Organ Thief

• Acolyte
  • 3,926 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:16 AM

Apoc they do, but TT the DE Get the voidraven and nightrazorshaversomething fighter, while Eldar only get Apoc ones, unless I've missed an update. I could be wrong about open topped vehicles and assaulting, but the old Falcon banshee bomb's dead. You have to wait a turn before assaulting, which usually results in the squad going squish.

I cannot oblige Pony.

#12 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

• Administrators
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:27 AM

I suppose if you want them to be viable now you have to disembark in cover, or hoof it with the Fleet rule.

Eldar can take Pheonix Bomber and Nightwing Interceptor according to Imperial Armour Aeronautica (plus Fire Storm AA transport).

It's starting to look more and more like I'm headed to Eldar, which would make my Aeronautica Imperialis and BFG armies all line up with the 40K one. Kinda shame DE is so munted, the models look amazing

cruSig2.jpg

#13 Authrix

Authrix

Chief Organ Thief

• Acolyte
  • 3,926 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:29 AM

Ah, didn't realise you were suing forgeword. That opens up Eldar a bit more. Might be an idea for you to look over the new rules before jumping in - Dakkadakka's probably got a good summary of them somewhere. Eldar look to be the better offer generally IMO.

I cannot oblige Pony.

#14 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

• Administrators
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:29 PM

Ever since I made my IG Tank Company I have used as much FW as possible :)

cruSig2.jpg

#15 Authrix

Authrix

Chief Organ Thief

• Acolyte
  • 3,926 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:41 PM

I take it you're a treadhead as well then :)

I cannot oblige Pony.

#16 trophicmocha

trophicmocha

Supreme Sorcerer Lord of the Thousand Sons

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:39 PM

i will correct you guys on one point and that is most of the dark eldar transports are open topped meaning that you can assault the turn you disembark as they still count as assault vehicles.
Fulgrim is our Lord, Slaanesh is our master, free your senses

#17 Authrix

Authrix

Chief Organ Thief

• Acolyte
  • 3,926 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:11 PM

Ah, didn't know that. Thanks Trophic. Still, DE vehicles are pretty fragile, and you'll still eat overwatch. Now they're a bit more viable though.

I cannot oblige Pony.

#18 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

• Administrators
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:06 PM

i will correct you guys on one point and that is most of the dark eldar transports are open topped meaning that you can assault the turn you disembark as they still count as assault vehicles.

Very useful information, thanks Trophic. That about balances out the factions again.

I take it you're a treadhead as well then :)

My 21K of IF Tanks want a word with you

cruSig2.jpg

#19 Authrix

Authrix

Chief Organ Thief

• Acolyte
  • 3,926 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:09 PM

Makes my twelve IG tanks seem tiny by comparison

I cannot oblige Pony.

#20 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

• Administrators
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:15 PM

Makes my twelve IG tanks seem tiny by comparison

Yeah, if I roll Eldar I will most definitely be getting a lot of FW units but now they have restricted some to Apoc only it does take the fun out. Used to love rolling Vanquishers and Destroyers in 40K games

cruSig2.jpg

Change Theme!