31 replies to this topic

#1 Opeth Of Epica

Opeth Of Epica

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:38 PM

Please read before posting: Firstly I would like to say that this is a serious thread, so no troll song choises (Rick Astley, Justin Bieber, Rebecca Black for example) and no flaming people for their song choices. If either of those happens I will ask for the post to be deleted or ask a mod to close the thread. Now that's out of the way, the purpose of this thread is to see the diversity and quality that GothicWars has to offer in terms of music. Since I’m a massive music fan and have tried to convince people thought my life why it's so special (fuzzy666 and tedonator can tell you how much it means to me), I wanted to make this thread. Just post a song and either give reasons why you think it's among the best that music has to offer or let the music speak for itself. Opinions on other people's choices are allowed (obviously), positive or negative.

I'll go first: Agalloch - Falling Snow
http://youtu.be/z4ih3JVrRPE

This is one of those songs where you have to completely have to cut yourself off the outside world and immerse yourself to what this masterpiece has to offer. The enchanting riffs float this song to a lonely, cold and yet beautiful atmosphere surrounding the listener with the vocals giving the song a sinister touch. The production further adds to the feeling on loneliness with every note echoing to the seeming endless white forestscape it seems to portray (in my opinion). Even though the song has a sense of dread, it still is surprisingly uplifting as the clean vocals in the chorus cleansing the evil in a blanket of snow until the harsh vocals return stating memorable lines such as "Wings without bodies". Having the perfect balance between melody and ambience, it's a song which leaves a lasting impression that the listener will constant want to revisit again and again. From the raspy, dread filled vocals to the glorious ending riff giving an unmatched atmosphere that only Agalloch can achieve, Falling Snow still stands as one of the greatest songs ever made.

eB3ZWV8.jpg

#2 Iron K

Iron K

A Berserker's Soul in a Pacifist's Body!

• Premium Member
  • Others: GWRS 2.0 Supporter
  • 1,833 posts
  • Xbox Live:Iron K

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:02 AM

Truly Epic Epica (No pun intended). Not just the song, but this entire thread. I could fill this thread with songs and descriptions of them, and commit the rest of my weekend to only that. But I will hold back my enthusiasm for the sake of everybody else.
Everyone knows that just picking one special song out of them all is near impossible, but thats a challenge Im willing to accept.

You can say alot about Dethklok, but I will disregard that right now and focus on this song. This is, to me, a song that fills your beeing, and brings you to a new level. The extended intro with the badass drums and divine riffs raises you expectations so that you heart beats in time with the drums. When Natan Explotion start sinning and his voice fills you ears you are carried away on a wave of darkness. Eventhoug the song starts slow its always building towards a distant cresendo, wich it reaches in a masterfull way at 4:00. And then it keeps on giving. When I listen to this song my entire mind is consumed by a holy darkness witch makes my adrenaline pump, my every nerve ending stand at edge, and my heart race. This song makes me feel invincible, omnipotent, and most of all, free.

But thats just my opinion abot it..

Posted Image

#3 MetalHead666X

MetalHead666X

Sorcerer Supreme of the Thousand Sons

• GWRS Governing Council
  • 2,438 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:39 AM

So many songs to chose from. If it were a song with a meaning to me, and one I could understand it would defiently be one of these two songs by one of my favourite bands:

Knowing there is something behind all Soad songs I do kinda get this song. It has an awesome beat to it and a great tune. One of there best songs and one of my favourites. I like soad because of the fact that they point out the Fucked up shit in the world even if you dont get it.

and the other would be:

This song here is the one I grew up listening to. To me and most others it defiens the genre Metal. Every time I hear the song I remember how awesome it will always be. This is to me the Greatest song of all time.

SLLLLLAAAAAYYYYYEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRR

Two Giratina are better than one.

Posted Image

Thanks to Astral Shadow of Serebii for the Signiture

#4 Opeth Of Epica

Opeth Of Epica

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:58 PM

@Iron K: Thanks :D. And do as much as you want, I'm sure that no one will mind.

@MetalHead666X: Raining Blood is a godly song, it had to be added.

I can already tell that 90% of this thread is going to me metal \m/. Also I apologise if my writing annoys anyone (since I'm not the best writer :().

Meshuggah - I

If there's one thing I love about music it’s when a band pulls all of their ideas together and take to the next level, usually resulting in their 'Magnum Opus'. Whether it's a band you enjoy or not, it's always a joy to see. However when a band as talented as Meshuggah does this, it's not only a joy to see (or hear), but the result is usually a groundbreaking monolith of an album. Even though Meshuggah itself is in my opinion a groundbreaking band by its own (creating the 'Djent' sound alone has influence bands all over the world), they have reached their pinnacle with this EP by combining influences of all their albums (except their latest albums Obzen and Koloss) to create 21 minutes of sonic insanity.

The song starts with the a stunning riff of extremely heavy palm muted guitars and machine gun drumming cursory of the man-machine god hybrid known as Tomas Hakke. The riff builds up tension like the gears starting to move on a massive titan of a machine, while mesmerising the listener with the monster of a riff. After the build up, the song goes into what I can only describe as chaos as Jens screams as like a machine god is being awakened by a painful means. This is the main reason why I adore this EP, every riff, every scream; every note goes straight for the jugular with inhuman precision with basic alt-strumming in the back ground give a sense of the listener further descending into chaos

The mathematical based riffs further emphasize how mechanical this album feels (as these riffs are the base of Meshuggah's sound) although Meshuggah has taken it to the next level with I. This is done in my opinion the perfect production, making the guitar sound massive and mechanical yet not lifeless and the riffs always change direction and varying degrees of tension, keeping the listener pinned by its crushing, unflinching assault. Adding to the assault is one of the greatest performances ever by Jens Kidman, having the perfect bend of raw and primal screams (with the unique delivery and power that only Jens can provide) and robotic touches by the production and lyrics.

The full-frontal attack lasted until 14:07, where the entire weight and tension of the song drops like a atomic bomb, leaving the listener stunned. Now the song completely changes from grabbing the listener by the throat to doom like riffs, growing speed and momentum as it progresses. The production is the shining star in these last minutes, giving the song a huge feel and since the doom like riff focuses on the production itself; it gives it more of a chance since the listener is not being mind fucked. Instead of being mind fucked, the listener is now being crushed by the pure heaviness of the riffs until a loud, ear piercing noise marks the end of Meshuggah's masterpiece.

So that's I, Meshuggah coming together to create the best song they can and as a result, have made the heaviest, interesting and most frantic EP ever written. I my honest opinion, this is drawn for the greatest EP ever made (The other being Blotted Science's 'The Animation of Entomology'). I recommend this to any serious music listener and metal fan to listen this this modern day masterpiece, created by a one of a kind band.

eB3ZWV8.jpg

#5 MetalHead666X

MetalHead666X

Sorcerer Supreme of the Thousand Sons

• GWRS Governing Council
  • 2,438 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 01:46 PM

MEEESSSUUUUUGGGGAAAAHHHHHH

Two Giratina are better than one.

Posted Image

Thanks to Astral Shadow of Serebii for the Signiture

#6 Opeth Of Epica

Opeth Of Epica

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:07 PM

MEEESSSUUUUUGGGGAAAAHHHHHH

Indeed.

eB3ZWV8.jpg

#7 Talos Valcoran

Talos Valcoran

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • 1,202 posts
  • Xbox Live:Archmage Talos
  • PSN:Morgoth1100
  • Social Groups:Raven Guard

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:27 PM

Awesome stuff

If you win, you live. If you lose, you die. If you don't fight, you can't win! - Eren Yaeger (Attack on Titan)

#8 dx144

dx144

Amon Amarth, Sabaton, Red Army Choir and Ensiferum Fan

• Elite Member
  • Others: ,
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:51 PM

I can never have a greatest/best song. Every week or month I find something else in my library which I pretty much have an eargasm over =D

I would say at the Moment Blind Guardian -Mirror Mirror or Sacred Worlds =)

But within the next month I could prefer Nightwish or Disturbed or Powerman 5000 or 3 Inches of Blood or ManoWar or Megadeth or Slayer or Brocas Helm or Static-X or Tvangeste or Soil or Slipknot or Seether or Skindred or Scars on Broadway or Ensiferum or any of the other artists that are on my Laptop =P

Pretty much I can never have a favourite. I love all my artists too much =D

"You fiend, have I never encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church?" - The Baby-Eating Bishop of Bath and Wells

#9 Opeth Of Epica

Opeth Of Epica

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:02 PM

Your a nutter for not putting on 'Battlefield' and 'And then There was Slience' by Blind Guardian. I'll probably add those later.

eB3ZWV8.jpg

#10 dx144

dx144

• Elite Member
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:11 PM

Well I have only listened to a few Albums from Blind Guardian =P So I will look through and find them and listen to those songs and their album =D

If you want I could just fill this thread with Music that I like. It is the Weekend and I am bored so yeah within two hours I could have a lot of music in here =D

"You fiend, have I never encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church?" - The Baby-Eating Bishop of Bath and Wells

#11 Opeth Of Epica

Opeth Of Epica

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:18 PM

If you want I could just fill this thread with Music that I like. It is the Weekend and I am bored so yeah within two hours I could have a lot of music in here =D

Only with the best, not all of it. I only go by around the top 2% or 5% quality songs of my music library to make a rough estimate.

eB3ZWV8.jpg

#12 dx144

dx144

• Elite Member
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:22 PM

Hmmm 2%-5% of my library would be about 200-400 songs =P

Still I will just put up like 5 songs for now and maybe in an hour or two I will get bored and upload some more! =D (Each will be from a different artist)
(I will edit this one post and add the music soon)

#13 Opeth Of Epica

Opeth Of Epica

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:25 PM

Hmmm 2%-5% of my library would be about 200-400 songs =P

Still I will just put up like 5 songs for now and maybe in an hour or two I will get bored and upload some more! =D (Each will be from a different artist)
(I will edit this one post and add the music soon)

200-500 songs, learn to math :P

K but don't spam.

eB3ZWV8.jpg

#14 dx144

dx144

• Elite Member
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:51 PM

LEAVE MY MATH SKILLS OUT OF THIS!

Spam... Would I ever spam? ;)

Ok so here they are =D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIVvDzGwq2s&feature=related

Ok someone else upload some stuff now! >=D

#15 Iron K

Iron K

A Berserker's Soul in a Pacifist's Body!

• Premium Member
  • 1,833 posts
  • Xbox Live:Iron K

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:41 PM

Okay, Im back. Could not keep myself away for very long..
I will be a little patriotic and go with Sabbaton. There are a whole lot of great song by Sabbaton, but I want to point out Carolus Rex!

I truly love this song. Not love-get-married-and-get-three-kids love, but listen-until-ears-bleed love. And I really like that they dare to be proud of being Swedish, and of our history, unlike the rest of the Swedes...
I dont think I need to explain, or say anything more..

First the English version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VItII1xtTeQ

And second, the Swedish version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j9mocJQA5M

I personally think that the Swedish version is a whole lot of better. Not only because of me beeing Swedish, but because it just sound so much better.

But what are your opinion? Do you think it sound better in a strange foreign language?

Enjoy!

Posted Image

#16 Opeth Of Epica

Opeth Of Epica

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:50 PM

Oh the Sweds make some of the best metal :D

Sexy songs by the way.

eB3ZWV8.jpg

#17 CattyVixen

CattyVixen

Sister of Battle

• Premium Member
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 05:23 PM

I could post more metal, but I choose to go a different path.

I don't know at all what to write about this song, so I let it talk for itself!

Posted Image

#18 ogreninja

ogreninja

dark sorcerer of the night lords

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 05:28 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nVSYt3c0jwhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGK00Q7xx-s
just some of the songs ive enjoyed over the years :)
Posted Image

formidonis per obscurum

give them nothing, but take from them everything

#19 Opeth Of Epica

Opeth Of Epica

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:21 PM

Hatsune Miku - Unfragment

There are too many reasons why I like this song so much, but the main reason is Miku herself. The producer Hanasoumen-P obviously knows how to use Vocaloid and this is one of the (or the) most natural performances done using Miku ever. Every note is done right and suits the mood perfectly, a problem that many Vocaloid songs suffer. This is a prime example of when Vocaloid is done professionally, the results can be stunning as her pure and smooth continues the captures people hearts around the world. As for the song itself, it is as charming and well done as Miku. The simple yet hypnotising beats are a joy for the ears with the flawing layering making the song rich throughout. Along with that, brilliant pacing assures that not one second is boring or wasted as the listener falls into a musical trance guided Miku’s heavenly vocals. The chorus itself is quite possibility my favourite moment in any Vocaloid song, tying the song together perfectly. Even though Trance and Techno in general isn't my genre of choice, I like to think that I know great music when I hear it, this is prime example. Songs like this show Vocaloid at its best, and hope more producers like Hanasoumen-P realise the potential that Vocaloids like Miku, Luka and Meiko have to offer.

eB3ZWV8.jpg

#20 Brother Aries

Brother Aries

Chaplin 3rd company

• Members
  • Pip
  • 231 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:25 PM

:cool::cool::cool::cool::dodgy:
I am become death. The destroyer of worlds.

Change Theme!