#1 bloodgod582

bloodgod582

Tech marine

• Members
  • Others:
  • Pip
  • 201 inlägg

Postad 06 augusti 2012 - 02:26

Just wondering how did you discover warhammer I discovered it by reading a codex the space marine one and discovered it was rubbish (matt ward:@) but I played a game and it was great
skulls again why can't I have nice things

#2 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

Squeak Squeak Mother F***ers

• Administrators
  • Others: GWRS 2.0 Supporter, GWRS Governing Council
  • 12 171 inlägg

Postad 06 augusti 2012 - 02:32

I loved building things, so when I came across this magical store with cool tank models in it I got the Starter Kit to build, learned the game and got hooked.

Imperial Fist Rhino (~2000-2002) was what caught my eye, but I painted my Marines as Space Wolves. I traded the Dark Eldar for more Marines. First model I owned was a Black Templar (shop painted it for me) Terminator with Assualt Cannon, but the first one I made was the Landspeeder. Still remains my favourite model to this date

Do Not XBL-Message or PM Me Website or Community Issues/Requests.
Use The Support Centre Instead!

cruSig2.jpg

#3 DTdante2787

DTdante2787

I will never be a memory

• Interrogator
  • 1 886 inlägg
  • Xbox Live:dtdante2787
  • Steam:nightlorddante
  • Social Groups:Night Lords

Postad 06 augusti 2012 - 02:51

The Lord of the Rings game they have actually caught my eye back when "Fellowship" hit theaters. That got me into the store and I gradually made my way to the 40k section and slowly became hooked. Started with Ultrasmurfs, but as I learned the lore and improved my craft, my tastes changed. Lost interest for awhile, but when Space Marine came out, I got back into it. I had been on and off been working on Space Wolves, and SM gave me the shove to get my army usable

raptor_by_artimac-d4xg7cccopy_zps5623e7c

#4 palin2004

palin2004

Chaos Lord Sorcerer

• Members
  • Others: GWRS 2.0 Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 inlägg

Postad 06 augusti 2012 - 03:03

I read and have read like 9000000000 scifi/fantasy books growing up, and the first book I picked up was actually Fulgrim. When I read through it, I hated it, because it made no sense to me. Then I picked up the first of the Horus heresy books, Horus Rising, and I loved it. I actually had a huge fascination with the Luna Wolves for a LONG time. Actually if I had an army it would probably be Luna Wolves, and Thousand Sons for chaos.

9JeXAbU.jpg

Do not wonder those who are good without God, Pitty those who need God to be good.

#5 Cypher 1013

Cypher 1013

Raven Wing 2nd Company battle brother

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 inlägg

Postad 06 augusti 2012 - 03:36

My brother introduced me to it. He discovered it at a hobby shop called dragons den.
Stoopid fuqing rools.
Awesome ends with me.

#6 Corman2030

Corman2030

Crimson Fist Liaison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1 064 inlägg

Postad 06 augusti 2012 - 03:41

My buddie gave me a copy of "Warriors of Ultramar" to take to Iraq on deployment and the rest is history.

Posted Image

"If Death is Victory, how Afraid of Life can we be!"-OH, SLEEPER

#7 Talonx13

Talonx13

Sorcerer Lord

• Members
  • Pip
  • 117 inlägg

Postad 06 augusti 2012 - 04:11

Late 90s uncle plays and I got into it watching him.
Behold the Great mutator and the gifts he will bestow upon you.

#8 Lysander

Lysander

Winter is Coming

• Members
  • 68 inlägg

Postad 06 augusti 2012 - 04:47

Actually got into Warhammer fantasy first when I picked up the first four Gotrek and Felix books at a flea market. Read a shit ton of fantasy the went to 40k with Grey Knights. I also have a Thousand Sons chaos army that I never use, but it looks cool.

Posted Image

"Primarch-Progenitor, to your glory and the glory of him on earth!"

#9 SuperFreakyNick

SuperFreakyNick

Guardsmen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 498 inlägg

Postad 06 augusti 2012 - 08:31

It was Christmas of 2011. My mom and dad finally realized that I want a goddamn Xbox since I put it on every holiday you get free stuff for a good four-ish years and have been getting into more fights with my brother because I wanted to play his. Unwrapped all my presents and the last one was my XBOX! Despite writing down specific game titles, I got blank stares from both my parents who were scratching heads at my shrieking frustration at having no games.

"Well how are we supposed to know what games you wanted?"

Since my brother was in the process of moving out, half his room was empty and he was in his new house (it was in the morning). I went through his room and the only game the bastard left behind Warhammer Space Marine 40K. My brother's always been into it, painting a few of the models and having nerd-offs in the basement with the tabletop. I was going to fucking play my new Xbox so I grabbed it anyway and started playing. Brother ended up letting me keep the game (since he already beat it), and sometime in January I met KOFAS, joined Deathwatch, began dating a Warhammer addict, have a Warhammer book coming in the mail and just in general became more interested in it.
Our hero, our hero, claims a warrior's heart. I tell you, I tell you, the Dragonborn comes.

#10 MetalHead666X

MetalHead666X

Sorcerer Supreme of the Thousand Sons

• GWRS Governing Council
  • 2 438 inlägg

Postad 06 augusti 2012 - 08:32

Grandad got me Into it after showing me 5 of his armys. He got me a Space marine starter pack to see what it was like and then asked me what army. It was going to be either Nids, Tau or Chaos. Quite obvious what I went for!

At the moment Im painting my plauge army.

Two Giratina are better than one.

Posted Image

Thanks to Astral Shadow of Serebii for the Signiture

#11 Fallen Angels95

Fallen Angels95

Grand Provost Marshal

• Elite Member
  • Others:
  • 3 585 inlägg
  • Xbox Live:fallen angels95

Postad 06 augusti 2012 - 08:42

uncle collected the old warhammer and space marines and i stumbled across it in my nans house..i asked him what it was he explained and ived loved the high elves since...officialy the first warhammer 40000 thing i got was a pack of hormogunts of my grandad. but i swapped them in for a set of marines. later on i got the assault on black reach set and expanded from there, getting sets for x-mas etc..until we had an argument (mum and i) and she threw it in the bin :(

now am going to start again soon hopefully more sucessfuly this time as im a brilliant painter and won prizes at my local GW. (games workshop:worcester...uk)

To be just, our law must be cruel.

To stand upon the bedrock of law is our great duty. To presume to stand above it is our worst heresy.

We determine the guilty. We decide the punishment.

#12 NightWolf889

NightWolf889

Crimson Fist Initiate

• Members
  • Pip
  • 298 inlägg

Postad 06 augusti 2012 - 09:21

Originally I saw Dawn of War: Winter Assault (Edit: Gold Edition, sorry, came with original DOW as well) on the shelf in Wal-Mart one day while shopping with my mother, and I became curious about the rough looking Guardsman standing in the snow with this glowing weapon and the man in the peaked cap charging with a sword raised high, so I picked up the game and looked at the inside cover. At the time I had NO idea Games Workshop, Warhammer Fantasy, 40k...any of that stuff, even existed.

At the time I thought the Space Marines were cool, but judging just from the box art I thought they were some kind of special forces and the Chaos Space Marines were some kind of splinter faction (Turns out I was half right on both assumptions). However, the Guardsmen were what got me looking further into 40k. The more I played Winter Assault the more confused I became. The game, mechanic wise, was nothing I'd ever seen before in an RTS. The atomosphere made little sense with the talk of this mysterious Emperor figure, talk of the Blood God, and the Eldar's mysterious remarks. What was an Emperor class Titan? What were these Necron that had so little backstory? Oh they must have been explained in the first game! So I went played that one as well.

The months progressed where my free time was absorbed playing Dawn of War, and eventually using the internet to slowly learn more about 40k as a whole. My interest from the Guard was fulfilled quickly, as they were fairly straightforward and blunt like the Hammer they were supposed to be. Around this time I picked up my first 40k book, Fifteen Hours. While getting it I noticed just the sheer amount of Space Marine novels and so many chapters they covered. I soon returned and grabbed the Space Wolves, because Ragnar Blackmane looked like a complete hardass, and their name sounded awesome.

When I finally got out of high school years later I was well versed in 40k as I could be for a lad growing up in the Delta of Mississippi (Which is not saying much...), but I truely didn't "discover" Warhammer until I moved here to Montana. I met my first girlfriend, Sarah, while she was playing a 40k game at the University campus. I watched her Tau army completely decimate an entire line of Orks with a few well placed rolls, and I had no idea that the 40k universe extended onto the tabletop. I said as much, asking if they made this recently after the release of Winter Assault, to which I was greeted with a few laughs and cheeky remarks toward my naivety.

Sarah versed me in how 40k got started, gave me some of her old books, and after we started dating a month later she even gave me her 2k point Tau army as a starter, plus the Codex for them as she made the gradual switch to World Eaters.

That is when my 40k fandom truly began, where this universe extended from a pair of computer games and what I thought was an extensive book universe, into the colossal sci-fi/fantasy galaxy that has held most of my attention since then. That was 4 years ago and there is no sign I'm willing to stop buying Black Library books and checking the Games Workshop sight to update my army. I am currently looking into a Deathwing army if I can get more to our small group (Who barely play due to the repeated nature of our games against one another).

Still...Reflecting on it, I say it truely began then, but it's all thanks to this image on a shelf that the first step was taken.

Postad bild
“Victory does not always rest with the big guns:
but, if we rest in front of them we shall be lost.”
-Commander Argentius, Silver Skulls

#13 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

Squeak Squeak Mother F***ers

• Administrators
  • Others: GWRS 2.0 Supporter, GWRS Governing Council
  • 12 171 inlägg

Postad 06 augusti 2012 - 09:23

sometime in January I met KOFAS, joined Deathwatch, began dating a Warhammer addict, have a Warhammer book coming in the mail and just in general became more interested in it.

Man I love your story, so different and original. As we have come to expect from ya

Gotta say Nightwolf, the Winter Assualt box art is amazing. I've always liked IG Tanks, and that was my first outing with them.

When I played it, I started collecting IG Tanks.

Do Not XBL-Message or PM Me Website or Community Issues/Requests.
Use The Support Centre Instead!

cruSig2.jpg

#14 Fallen Angels95

Fallen Angels95

Grand Provost Marshal

• Elite Member
  • Others:
  • 3 585 inlägg
  • Xbox Live:fallen angels95

Postad 06 augusti 2012 - 09:26

yh the dawn of war games got me interested as well....just a pisstake that their down to £15:99 in game for the complete lot including the expansions -_-

To be just, our law must be cruel.

To stand upon the bedrock of law is our great duty. To presume to stand above it is our worst heresy.

We determine the guilty. We decide the punishment.

#15 JC 042

JC 042

Sons of The Fallen clan leader

• GWRS Governing Council
  • Others: GWRS 2.0 Supporter
  • 9 552 inlägg

Postad 06 augusti 2012 - 09:36

Squad Command on the Nintendo DS.... 
I started out the worst way didnt I? :P

Posted Image

JC: 99% Anime, 1% hot gas

#16 Optic20

Optic20

Grand Master - The Finder of Secrets

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 917 inlägg

Postad 06 augusti 2012 - 12:41

Dawn Of War - i was hooked after the first match of playing as space marines - naturally when i saw Space Marine come out i was excited
"By the Lion, I will find out what you know, even if it kills you."
Postad bild

#17 cosyn

cosyn

asault veteran of the 1st

• Members
  • 61 inlägg

Postad 06 augusti 2012 - 02:34

I was around 10 or so. I had been painting models for AD&D. When I came across a white dwarf mag. A week later I had the starter box, and shortly after that a very very expensive habit. I left it for a few year while I was a teenager only to get back into it in the late 90's when games workshop opened in a mall near by. Played for a few years after that but left because have you ever tried to mod and paint with kid:s

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2
cosyn, Glorified Meatshield In The Gothic Wars Since Jul 2012.
------------------asault veteran of the 1st-----------------

#18 xxxblackspider

xxxblackspider

Kasrkin

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 inlägg

Postad 06 augusti 2012 - 03:26

Started playing Dawn of War when I was really young, didn't know that it was a table top game. Then I bought space marine the day it came out and voila!
Posted Image

#19 RDSFirebane

RDSFirebane

Guardsmen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 313 inlägg

Postad 07 augusti 2012 - 02:03

My father wanted someone to test his Eldar army out on ya *sigh*

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTfjgLlMzdxNZZPvrul2rS6qcWN-47VkKR1rdWV4WW-jzWitzxC&t=1

#20 MetalHead666X

MetalHead666X

Sorcerer Supreme of the Thousand Sons

• GWRS Governing Council
  • 2 438 inlägg

Postad 07 augusti 2012 - 08:14

Squad Command on the Nintendo DS.... 
I started out the worst way didnt I? :P

It was a good game though! Kinda wish there Was a chaos campaign

Two Giratina are better than one.

Posted Image

Thanks to Astral Shadow of Serebii for the Signiture