#1 Zero

Zero

Moderator detective

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:07 PM

Good evening Gothic Wars!

I'm posting this to speak on a subject that came across our tables today. As a predominantly male dominated site we sometimes forget how we say things. Earlier today we had a thread that got quickly out of hand and took a turn down a very sexist route. I understand we like to joke and have fun but at no time should these thoughts plague our forums. The mod team takes this very seriously, we all have mothers and sisters, let's not say anything that we wouldn't say in front of them.

Yours truly,

-Zero
Lead Moderator

-Armoured Priest
Senior Moderator

-Thugren
Senior Moderator

Note: This thread is for serious discussion only, any off-topic comments will be deleted.

#2 Optic20

Optic20

Grand Master - The Finder of Secrets

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:31 PM

What was said?
Something to make note of...
"By the Lion, I will find out what you know, even if it kills you."
Postad bild

#3 Thugren

Thugren

Master Of The Sanctuary

• Administrators
  • Others: GWRS Governing Council
  • 14,265 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:37 PM

It was mostly boys will be boys talk that a female did happen to see and Cringe at.

Nevertheless it's something that was completely inappropriate

Oh sanctuary...THAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT Rp
cainsig11.jpg

#4 Zero

Zero

Moderator detective

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:37 PM

What was said?
Something to make note of...

It was dealt with rather quickly so fortunately it was unseen by most members. I'm not going to repeat what was said, but understand it was insulting & sexism (along with racism / etc.) won't be tolerated.

#5 xxxblackspider

xxxblackspider

Kasrkin

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:03 PM

I think that in general everyone needs to be less sensitive about stereotypes. I mean I prefer to be called a European American but people still call me white and say I can't jump. This does not bother me even though it is racist so I don't understand why social stereotypes bother other people... Just food for thought
Posted Image

#6 Armoured Priest

Armoured Priest

Man in the long black coat

• Administrators
  • Others: GWRS Governing Council
  • 10,192 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:10 PM

It was not the fact it was being stereotypical. It was the fact the comments made women nothing more than slabs of meat. As a guy who has many female family members, the thread in question more than just offended me.

Burning, Stabbing, Devouring, Changing, Resurrecting and creating in Sanctuary
We have such sights to show you...

SignatureBurias_zpsafd03a97.jpg

#7 bloodgod582

bloodgod582

Tech marine

• Members
  • Others:
  • Pip
  • 201 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:18 PM

I'm sorry about the post :(
skulls again why can't I have nice things

#8 Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Death Guard Warmaster

• Elite Member
  • Others: ,
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:18 PM

I appreciate that things can get to far but i dont belive that any jokes can be offensive - thats why there jokes. Unfourtunatly there is a very fine and blury line between a joke and just being outright offensive. But in terms of the subject of sexism i was brought up to respect a woman no matter what. You always respect a woman and know when to draw the line.

I don't think Farther's For Justice will allow you in the protest where you will be running around on a really high roof while pissed off your face

#9 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

Squeak Squeak Mother F***ers

• Administrators
  • Others: GWRS 2.0 Supporter, GWRS Governing Council
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:19 PM

Stereotyping is generally an accepted form of humour around here. We pass everything through the "do we find it offensive" filter and almost everything passes, we don't officially cater to kids here so it's only expected there'll be a lot of rough humour.

There is however a line between acceptable and shameful, and some people bounded across it with glee and joy.. only to be smacked with a warning.

Personally I find the comments made to be appalling and would urge those responsible to seriously consider their approach and attitude to women.

Do Not XBL-Message or PM Me Website or Community Issues/Requests.
Use The Support Centre Instead!

cruSig2.jpg

#10 Warmonger

Warmonger

=][=

• Premium Member
  • Others: ,
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:20 PM

Can I suggest that this thread is locked before more offense is taken? And to be frank I consider nothing to be a simple hunk of meat.

This planet is a graveyard - care to join me? 

#11 xxxblackspider

xxxblackspider

Kasrkin

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:42 PM

fuzzy stated exactly my mindset and sometimes people take jokes too seriously, I cannot profess to know what occurred in that thread but I am just speculating
Posted Image

#12 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

Squeak Squeak Mother F***ers

• Administrators
  • Others: GWRS 2.0 Supporter, GWRS Governing Council
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:35 PM

I'll lock this as its a sound request.

Just for the record, you might not think something is a slab of meat, but actions can say otherwise even if you don't intend that.

In our growing technological world context is becoming gospel; you cannot see someone's eyes, gestures or hear their tone of voice when posting in the internet, this leads to major issues. Just because you see it on TV, or hear it on the Radio does not make it alright to emulate.

We're here to have fun, but the rules are there to protect that fun experience for everyone; if you fall afoul of them then you should be asking what did I do and how can I do better, rather than raging about perceived slights. If you get warned for anything on here, treat it as a learning experience, apologise, nod and become a better person. After all, if the staff get it wrong we apologize openly.

Do Not XBL-Message or PM Me Website or Community Issues/Requests.
Use The Support Centre Instead!

cruSig2.jpg

Change Theme!