• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 GhostShip Blue

GhostShip Blue

Meatshield

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:29 PM

Never played Blood Bowl on the table top, but I bought the Legendary Edition through Game Stop's download service (not Steam, but whatever their version is called) a while ago...

Uh, is there a point at which it gets fun?

I just keep getting my ass kicked and haven't started the game in weeks.

Is there some secret I'm not getting? I read the PDF and see how having multiple players and special abilities like Block work, but when do my guys actually learn something so they don't suck (which, as close as I can tell, is what this game does)?

My Lizardmen have good strength and speed, but it doesn't seem to matter. Elf blocker or Wraith dumps my linemen on their ass, and the other team scores.

#2 ogreninja

ogreninja

dark sorcerer of the night lords

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:06 PM

hi there basically there's no easy way to get the skills for your team other than playing games and gaining star player points my advise would be to play classic mode before going into the blitz mode to get a hang of the game. Lizard men are good for a team what you need to do is build a cage around a skink with lizard men then move the other skinks forward into decent positions to catch the ball near the end zone or you could try for a running game with them using lizard men to aid the skink in moving foward blocking lines to the skink .
box method :L=lizard man s=skink

L L
s
L L

the blocking method: place lizard men where their tackle zones would hinder most players trying to get a your ball carrier
always try to have multiple blockers as well so you can pick the result of the dice roll

If you still cant get to grips with it try the human team they are an average team but have the potential to be a great team most of the starting players for dwarves start with block and tackle which really help negate some of the negatives when the dice is rolled like both players down or defender stumbles. hope this helps you somewhat
Posted Image

formidonis per obscurum

give them nothing, but take from them everything

#3 GhostShip Blue

GhostShip Blue

Meatshield

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:32 PM

hope this helps you somewhat

It's a place to start, which is more than I had. I appreciate the advice.

I've tried the surround a skink with lizardmen running game with SOME success. The passing game is pointless as close as I can tell. The skinks don't have pass or catch and the ball winds up on the ground and the opponents get it. I'll try it with the four lizardmen rather than the 6 I've been trying to use.

Defense seems a pointless exercise in the game. Once the other team gets the ball it seems best to just let them score and keep my team from getting hurt. Is there a way to defend meaningfully without spending the second half three guys down?

The elves and orks occassional throw the ball which will occassionally generate a turnover. Beyond that, there just doesn't seem to be much to do until they get some skills. Which means they have to win games and get KO's on the field...

#4 Zijan

Zijan

Epistolary, 3rd Company

• Banned
  • 45 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:39 PM

I'm sure you know most of what I'm going to talk about, but I'll cover it anyway, just in case.

Lizardmen aren't the easiest team to start with. I'd go with Orks or Dwarves as a beginner.

You gain skills through Star Player Points (SPPs). Players are awarded 3 for a touchdown, 2 for a casualty (injuries only, stuns aren't included), 1 for a completed pass (passer only), and 5 at the end of the match for MVP (one per side).

When a player reaches 6 SPP, they gain their first skill, which you can choose from a limited selection based on position and the dice roll.
-----------------------------------------------------

Elves are a pain in the rear. I play Orks mostly, and I find that it's better to target their weaker players (catchers, throwers, linemen) than their hitters (blockers, wardancers, blitzers). Lizardmen are at a severe disadvantage as they have no starting skills on their Sauruses, and suffer from a dismal agility.

Also, are you playing classic or Blitz?
-----------------------------------------

What ogreninja is discussing above is called "The Cage." By placing strong players in the corners, you overlap their tacklezones, both to hinder dodges (-1 to the dodge roll for each opposing tacklezone in the square you're leaving) and to help your ball carrier (the skink in the middle) by assisting in any blocks directed at him (+1S per non-engaged player or player with Guard).

This method is usually very slow, but it's not uncommon for Blood Bowl matches to end with a score of 1-0, 2-0, or 2-1 with proper use of The Cage. Don't worry about taking 8 turns to score and if your playing against the computer, feel free to postpone scoring if you get there early (turn 4-7) and are well protected to bash the weaker opposing team around.

Hope this helps a bit.

I wouldn't pass with Lizardmen. Anything with Stunty gets a -1 to pass rolls.

What teams have you been playing against?

#5 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

Squeak Squeak Mother F***ers

• Administrators
  • Others: GWRS 2.0 Supporter, GWRS Governing Council
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:17 PM

I screwed in that game, I really want to learn so it's on my to-do list later in the year. I lost the files when my HDD died, so I'm yet to download it again

Do Not XBL-Message or PM Me Website or Community Issues/Requests.
Use The Support Centre Instead!

cruSig2.jpg

#6 ogreninja

ogreninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:49 PM

its an amazing game i love playing it
Posted Image

formidonis per obscurum

give them nothing, but take from them everything

#7 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

Squeak Squeak Mother F***ers

• Administrators
  • Others: GWRS 2.0 Supporter, GWRS Governing Council
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:02 PM

I'm good at killing people, but not scoring

Do Not XBL-Message or PM Me Website or Community Issues/Requests.
Use The Support Centre Instead!

cruSig2.jpg

#8 Zijan

Zijan

Epistolary, 3rd Company

• Banned
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:13 AM

I've got BB:LE on steam, and can walk people through a game if need be. I'm not great, but I know my way around a pitch.

#9 GhostShip Blue

GhostShip Blue

Meatshield

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:32 PM

Lizardmen aren't the easiest team to start with. I'd go with Orks or Dwarves as a beginner.

Elves are a pain in the rear. I play Orks mostly, and I find that it's better to target their weaker players (catchers, throwers, linemen) than their hitters (blockers, wardancers, blitzers). Lizardmen are at a severe disadvantage as they have no starting skills on their Sauruses, and suffer from a dismal agility.

Also, are you playing classic or Blitz?

Hope this helps a bit.

I wouldn't pass with Lizardmen. Anything with Stunty gets a -1 to pass rolls.

What teams have you been playing against?

First off, it does help, thanks.

Trimmed out what I didn't want to respond to for brevity.

I read several LE How-To's and more than one suggested the Lizardmen are a good starting team as they offer a good balance of Strength and Movement for the Sauruses and the Skinks' have a decent Agility.

I'll go back to the Orcs on your advice - I tried them a few times and got close to no-where. The Elves I've only monkeyed with in Story Mode and decided to hold off until I got a better feel for the game - the seems like a finesse team which is probably a bad place to start.

The teams that give me the most trouble are any of the undead teams, the Humans and the Orcs. Skaven and Halflings I can compete with (that's where I've gotten what few wins I have in campaign mode)

I sucked badly enough that I opted NOT to embarrass myself on-line. Until I can reliably beat the computer on Easy, I'm sticking to that plan.

@Crucias NZ - I'd be happy if I could hurt the other team - the players earn Star Player Points that way too. Besides, they'll eventually run out of replacements...

@Zijan's second post. I'm not sure if I can play BB: LE on Steam, I bought it through GameStop and theie online system is different. Not sure if I can add a game from another vendor to Steam (seems I tried and failed, but it may have been something else). If I can get it all squared away I'll look for you on Steam. Elsewise, the self impose on-line ban stands.

#10 Genie of Funk

Genie of Funk

Meatshield

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:21 PM

One of my all time favorite games - been playing almost 20 years!

Always make your moves from most likely to succeed to least likely (ie don't pass if you still have players that are just moving)

Only a handful of teams can easily score in 1-2 turns; most will take 4-5 and some will take the entire half; don't be afraid to use all 8 turns to score no matter which team you play.

You are only required to have 3 people on the line of scrimmage; there is not much point in having more than that against teams that are physically stronger

Don't roll the dice unless you must; it's too easy to turnover your turn doing something that wasn't important

Force the opponent to roll as much as you can; every dodge, pick up, blocked pass, etc is a chance that they will turnover the turn

Early on, skills that provide re-rolls (Leader, Sure Hands, etc) can really help you build up SPP. I tend to pick these over skills that enhance play (Leap, Diving Catch)
Genie of Funk, Glorified Meatshield In The Gothic Wars Since Apr 2012.

#11 GhostShip Blue

GhostShip Blue

Meatshield

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:28 PM

This may be some of the clearest, most concise advice about this game I've ever seen. Thanks!

#12 ogreninja

ogreninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:20 PM

I'm good at killing people, but not scoring

i thought we were talking about blood bowl ;) :P

@ghostship blue: stick with it and the advise given and you should do well

Posted Image

formidonis per obscurum