Photo

Was playing Rome Total War a while back....

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
53 replies to this topic

#1 dx144

dx144

Amon Amarth, Sabaton, Red Army Choir and Ensiferum Fan

• Elite Member
  • Others: ,
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:12 PM

Well I was playing Rome Total War a while back with the Seleucid Empire and was killing stuff but then when I sent a spy to check out a Parthian family member I saw his name and had a WTF? moment because well look at his name....

[Spoiler=Parthian Family Member]
http://cloud-2.steam...4EE3F45A49C4FB/
[/Spoiler]

He didn't live past 32 if it makes anyone feel better. I sent some Armoured Elephants, Silver Shield Legion and Silver Shield Pikemen with a General to lead them and probably some Mercenaries to serve as fodder so the enemy are weaken and tired so when my actually forces arrive they are fucked! =D

I did find another guy on Barbarian Invasion who was the Roman Leader of the Eastern side of the Romans and he was a 100 years old..

Also I find it funny when I find someone called Arses....
[Spoiler=YOUR FORCES ARE UNDER ATTACK FROM ARSES!]
Posted Image
Not my image but yeah shows you what I mean...
[/Spoiler]

"You fiend, have I never encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church?" - The Baby-Eating Bishop of Bath and Wells

#2 Ziet

Ziet

Guardian of the Great Angel's Tomb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • Xbox Live:reponinja666
  • Steam:ziet666
  • NDS Friend Code:1736-0763-4494

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:15 PM

haha I was just playing that this morning. Granted I usually play the Greek Cities, Rome or one of the Celt/Barbarian factions. Gotta love Phalanxes in a city with narrow roads.
Posted Image

#3 dx144

dx144

• Elite Member
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:29 PM

Well Germania is one of if not the best Barbarian faction. They get phalanxes. Screeching women which scare people... Berserks are awesome as having 10 squads of them they can destroy anything... Only things they need to look out for is the high level stuff and then they still give them a run for their money. By the high stuff I mean Urban Cohorts, Arcani, Praetorians and Spartans. That is the worst stuff to fight. Luckily it takes so long to get them you can destroy Rome in that time! =D

Thrace is another good faction. Use both Greek Phalanxes but with various Barbarian units which help them win =)

I do like Macedonian Calvary though.

I rarely upgrade my cities to have stone walls when I use a Greek faction. Makes them harder to defend for a while. =P

"You fiend, have I never encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church?" - The Baby-Eating Bishop of Bath and Wells

#4 Ziet

Ziet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:42 PM

Very true. When I first got access to the Greek faction I made the mistake of going for stone walls with alot of phalanx troops.... sadly I got massacred in that battle
Posted Image

#5 dx144

dx144

• Elite Member
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:01 PM

Well the first city to start off with Stone walls on Sicily (Forgot the name of the city) starts off with a group of archers. I always stack that with troops as I know Scipi (Whatever the Blue Roman family is called...) will be given orders from the Senate to take it.

No one likes the senate. Oh you're doing it great and spreading the Roman Empire across the world but we see you doing it for yourself not Rome. To show you are committed to Rome you must kill your Faction Leader....

Next turn there seems to be a very large amount of Scipi fleets and armies approaching Rome.

Is pretty funny conquering the world using the Senate faction =P

#6 Ziet

Ziet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:09 AM

lol the Scipii faction gets the good gladiators. Granter I normally run the Brutii faction due to location. When I move troops into position the first armies to arrive are full of Urban Cohorts normally. Today I took Rome with 9 armies full of Urban Cohorts. It was an epic slaughter, not even the children in Rome were left alive.

Granted I have a second campaign for laughs. Use codes for fast build up and money then buy out every factions territories and mass build then real quick for lols.
Posted Image

#7 dx144

dx144

• Elite Member
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:06 AM

Well I went with Julii (Red Romans) first because Romans are red =P

I think they get Aracani (Squad of 32 combat assassins who are great and look cool!) first. They also start off with a squad of Triairi (Spearmen before Roman Reforms).

Scipii get the best ship in the game. Cannot remember its name but has like 200 men aboard. Was a great help in defeating the Egyptian navy since they have the Lighthouse of Alexandria... Also Carthage is one of the most advanced cities in the world and taking it is a big boost for Scipii.

Brutii I use from time to time because I like Mercenaries have the same colours as them so. I rarely use the Brutii....

When my brother first used elephants and armour elephants he had got all the way to Rome. He didn't know large stone walls drop boiling oil on people near the gates... Was funny a massive Carthaginian army was destroyed =P

Berserks are possibly the most powerful in the game. In Barbarian expansion lots of factions get them and all Barbarian factions can build up to level five huge cities. They are called Lombard Berserkers. Destroy anything...

Once city had defences that made my troops run away... Berserkers you cannot control when they are berserk. Look back to the walls just to see three of the Lombard Beserks taking the walls with Western Roman Empire soldiers flying off the defences =P

Only downside to Lombard beserkers. They take two turns to build....

#8 Ziet

Ziet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:03 PM

Very true. Haven't played the Scipii faction too much. During the campaign time yesterday the Scipii faction wiped out the Carthage faction, the Numidian faction and halfway into the Egyptians when I took Rome and the rest of Italy inside one turn.
Posted Image

#9 dx144

dx144

• Elite Member
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:15 PM

Well I think Carthage starts off with the ability to train Principes as well as some good cavalry because it can train elephants.

So basically giving Romans a city which can train some of the best troops they can before there reforms makes them must stronger.

That is why no matter which Roman family I use I send an army down to Carthage and take it before Scipii do! =D

In a game I decide to just ignore the senate as they are annoying but some reason my best general committed suicide because of the Senate's pressure. At the time he was launching attacks into Northern Europe preparing to go over to the British Isles. The plans were disbanded after my general died. Germania was fucked over by the large army I assembled. Early Legion, Archers, Legionary Cavalry and some special troops like Arcani because I like battlefield assassins =P

So yeah I got vengeance with army upon army marching at Rome in a few years after doing everything the Senate said. Rome was either enslaved or exterminated. I cannot remember that part...

#10 Ziet

Ziet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:15 PM

In my current campaign I've got 1 coastal territory set for building up forces while 16 ships with full army compliments is heading up the coast towards British isles while my armies from Italy are moving northwest from Rome on the warpath from hell. I sent 62 full armies of Legionnaires into Italy to take over the Senate and Julii and Scipii factions with bases on Italian lands. In Sicily I've marshalled 13 Legions for the Invasion of Northern Africa. Greece has almost 100 armies set for invading eastward. In total I believe I'm sitting on almost 300 full armies in the game so far.
Posted Image

#11 dx144

dx144

• Elite Member
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:00 PM

Not enough. I want everyone in Italy ready for war and to be sent into the wars around the world! =P

#12 Ziet

Ziet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:54 PM

lol just counted I've got 328 armies in total so far and 83 navies full of Quadrimes. so if i decide to break those fleets down to 1 unit fleets i'll have fleets to transport every army and still have a large combat fleet

Posted Image

#13 dx144

dx144

• Elite Member
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:21 PM

So you can fuck up everything. Unless the whole world united against you =P

Then it wouldn't be a clear winner....

#14 Ziet

Ziet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:23 PM

Well currently I am against the world since I took Rome and wiped out the other faction. The Barbarian factions are coming from the northwest and I've stalled Egypt in the southeast. I've got armies moving to intercept the barbarian factions in the northwest while reserve armies move into defensive areas.
Posted Image

#15 dx144

dx144

• Elite Member
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:30 PM

Selecuids are pretty awesome as they get a copy of Roman Legionaries. They can get them before the Roman actually even though the Seleucids copied them from the Romans =P

They get Elephants and all the good Greek units.

Some reason Egypt always beats them if you aren't near the Middle East =/

Sounds like you have that won. I usually can't be arsed once I have a large empire. Building up stuff takes far too time and I get bored =P

#16 Ziet

Ziet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:12 AM

lol well the Northern areas have all fallen to me and Egypt is down to 3 territories.
Posted Image

#17 dx144

dx144

• Elite Member
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:28 PM

So you basically have won the game =P

You just need to keep sending out armies and what not =P

#18 Ziet

Ziet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:29 PM

Easily.... I pulled the douche move and surrounded the 3 cities left with armies galore then proceeded to siege them for 5 turns then captured said cities
Posted Image

#19 dx144

dx144

• Elite Member
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:35 PM

Have reserve armies. So if you launch a wave of your soldiers just to die have extras to help out =D

Well if you somehow suffer a crushing defeat....

#20 Ziet

Ziet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:59 PM

I played it like the Imperial Guard. Men are expendable. I can make more.
Posted Image

Change Theme!