Photo

Help Me Kill Them!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

#1 Iron K

Iron K

A Berserker's Soul in a Pacifist's Body!

• Premium Member
  • Others: GWRS 2.0 Supporter
  • 1,833 posts
  • Xbox Live:Iron K

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

Greetings fellow Game Masters and Role Players.

As before, I come to you in my need of advice regarding the Evil Deeds of a Game Master.
For you who is not aware of the situation, I am the GM of a Dark Heresy game where I lead my dear friends, and Catty, into certain doom, and then sit and laugh as they try to survive.

Well, they have done a fine job surviving, and even though I have managed to remove an arm from one of them, they still fight onward. After their current mission (a devious prison break), they will reach the 7th rank (of 8 in total). That means I will have about two missions left before they are ascended to the Inquisitor rank, and the game will be over. And I can't let that happen, now can I? Not without a fight anyways.

Here's my problem. I don't know what I shall throw at them to challenge them enough to maybe kill, or at least maim, some of them, but not making it impossible for them to succeed (I'm not completely without heart. It's just a black crusted little thing... :P ).

I have a couple of ideas:

1. Chaos Space Marines.
Putting them against the Fallen Space Marines would truly challenge them! But with superhuman physique, power armor, astartes weapons, chaos powers and Emperor knows what else, it may be a bit to much.

Alternative: I thought about a group of heretics that had awoken a Chaos Dreadnought. That way, they could have low level enemies, but with a high level end boss. But how could they ever take on a Chaos Dreadnought..?

2. Necrons.
An awoken Necron Tomb? Yay! Now there's a fun enemy! But the mission would be more about surviving, than defeating the Necrons.. And seriously, how big chance do they have when meeting one or more Necrons..?

3. A Cell of Slaught Infiltrators/Warriors.
Yes. I would do that. Yes. I am Evil.
But as I said, it would be more fun for them if they had a chance of surviving...

So what do you say? Do you have any ideas, or pointers? As I said, an extremely deadly challenge, but not impossible.
I do want them to keep playing with me.. (So that I can try and kill them again! :P )

Posted Image

#2 GK MadMan

GK MadMan

brother of the legion of the damned

• Members
  • Others: ,
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

How bout they stubbled on a khorne shrine and awoken bout 20 bloodletters n if they manage to survive a greater daemon comes. Pure evil

their armour was coloured black and upon it was drawn chilling images of bones and fire, and on their helm they bore skulls... Like the bones of men in the torment of purgatory they were, and yet not a sound did they make... 

#3 Talon Lord Othrim

Talon Lord Othrim

WARMASTER, Commander of the Night Lords.

• Elite Member
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

I play DH too and when my guys got close to Assention it turned out that their Inquisitor had gone rogue. Had been for a long while. Instead of fighting for the will of the emperor they were working against him. So they decided to take out their own inquisitor. They had to fight off other acolyts (Inquisitors have more than one cell) these inturn are hard (just look at your PC's) and should they fight, trick, get passed them they still have to take out an inquisitor at the end with proof of His/her heresey to clear their names.

With a black mark against their names they can never assend to Inquisitor status and are classed as 'rogue' untill they are proven innocent. This extends the game and makes it harder as they cant rely in the good will of the emperor (no wages, being hunted) It really tests their loyalty to the throne. Some of your players may even turn from the emperor for good. Can they stay pure and earn their Iquisitorial badges.?
Posted ImageUploaded with ImageShack.com

#4 Iron K

Iron K

• Premium Member
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

Hugo: Also a good possibility. :P
But does Khorn really have shrine? I know there are different cults in hiding dedicated to Khorn, but shrines? And if I'm not mistaken, Bloodletters only gain access to the material world when great amounts of blood is about to, or is, flowing. Then there is the story, and how to make it work.
But Daemons are always fun. Especially when their Greater... Size (and rank) counts, you know.. :D

Othrim: Now that is a very good plot twist! Too bad I really can't use it.. Mainly because the Inquisitor is a very dear character of mine, so I can't kill him off like that. Besides, I haven't made any clues in previous missions that could lead up to that.
But I will probably use that idea with another Inquisitor, and when I can set up the missions so that I can slowly corrupt them..
*insert evil laughter here*

Posted Image

#5 GK MadMan

GK MadMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:39 PM

Oh yeah my ad well u can change to a massice group of cultists r worshipping sees them n then the blood letters r there n could have acouple of csm there which turn into greater daemons .

their armour was coloured black and upon it was drawn chilling images of bones and fire, and on their helm they bore skulls... Like the bones of men in the torment of purgatory they were, and yet not a sound did they make... 

#6 Authrix

Authrix

Chief Organ Thief

• Acolyte
  • 3,926 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

Rogue Inquisitor then, but not your own? Perhaps your Inquisitor's mentor?

You need your head examined - CruciasNZ

Authrix stop making me spill things on my laptop with what you post - Pony

I cannot oblige Pony.

#7 Iron K

Iron K

• Premium Member
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

My bad, I meant to say with another group and another Inquisitor.. :P

I have no problems with coming up with a story, but the enemies in them. Humans have their limits, with a max of 23-25 wounds (if "normal" humans) and a max of 50 on physical characteristic (once again, "normal" humans). Sure, I can equip them with badass weapons like plasma canons or meltas, but I have already done that.

Daemons has been done a couple of times, and is not a big thing in Dark Heresy. That's why I'm looking for some new enemies that can truly challenge my players.

Was thinking of Tau (with Kroot, of course! :P ) as well, but the problem with that is the same as with the Necrons and Chaos Dreadnought. I don't know their stats. With the Chaos Space Marines, I can create one with Deathwatch or Dark Crusade rule books, and the Slaught infiltrator can be found in the GM toolkit.

So what I need is good ideas on new enemies to attack my players with, and some idea of their stats.

On another note, anyone know what kind of stats an Ogrim with a Ripper Gun have?
Need to know, end-of-level-boss for current mission. :D

Posted Image

#8 GK MadMan

GK MadMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

Or do tyranids m8s they an ruthless enemie. They r pure killing machines.

#9 Iron K

Iron K

• Premium Member
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

Hmm.. Good point! A Tyranid cell working to overthrow the planet order before the Hive ship comes there.. Standard enemies would be Human/Tyranid hybrids. High Level Enemies; Genestealers. And last but not least, the End-of-Level-Boss: the Broodlord!

That could actually work. What do the rest of you think? And where the feck can I find the characteristics for Tyranids..?

Posted Image

#10 GK MadMan

GK MadMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

U could do alittle like u sed a pre planet takeover party u cod warriors n tht all sorts. They be good for a party of warriors

#11 Talon Lord Othrim

Talon Lord Othrim

• Elite Member
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:39 PM

One I used.
PC group located a cult lair and they attacked. Cultists were in process of binding a daemon host. PCs interrupted ritual causing the unbound daemon host to attack.

Trick here.
The longer the PCs take to stop the ritual the better as the cultists will end with a thrice bound host. Weaker, easily controlled. If PCs are head strong and go rushing in (which mine did) they have a viciousness battle on their hands. Yes the daemon will kill the cultists trying to enslave it, however it will be much stronger and harder to kill. Managed to end one PC who though it was cleaver to go hand to hand with an unbound daemon host lol

#12 Authrix

Authrix

Chief Organ Thief

• Acolyte
  • 3,926 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:33 PM

I vote nids, the deathwatch book has stats for them and tau I think. If not, you could compare tabletop stats and in from there.

I cannot oblige Pony.

#13 Iron K

Iron K

• Premium Member
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:26 PM

Why Othrim, how very Evil of you.. I like! :P

I shall check the Deathwatch book for the stats, but I have no idea how I would get my hands on the Tabletop stats.. It would be fun throwing in some Tau as an secondary enemy / possible ally, but that would be a total ripoff off Ciaphas Cain...

It's sad really, cause its a great idea for a game, and I have always wanted to test out Tau as an enemy in Dark Heresy. The combination of long range, rapid fire, Plasma rifles and the brutal strength and agility of the Kroot would truly be hilarious to throw at my players.. :D

Posted Image

#14 Talon Lord Othrim

Talon Lord Othrim

• Elite Member
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:40 PM

Do you have the DH rules for hoards? I once had my group enter a mine that was in middle of a twist rebellion thanks to the pale throng. once in caving system they were attacked by a hoard, that was bloody and manic.

Seriously I don't know why my players keep coming back but they seem to love it lol two died that day. Not my fault I have to say they went in with a 10 man imperial guard team and thought that rigging the tanks of a flammer to explode was a good idea. An alarmingly botched roll meant boom too soon. Crispy characters lol hahaha

#15 Lord Ariok

Lord Ariok

Chaos Lord

• GWRS Governing Council
  • 2,772 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:58 PM

Well when i was covering for my GM a while ago i came up with a mission on the spot

In the briefing before PCs deploy the inquisitor they were serving had reports of mass suicides and multiple cases of insanity then death the PCs who were always assuming chaos was involved so when they went to get information the people had no knowledge of the reported incidents even the arbites did not know. Anyway after about an hour of looking around the people in the group began to doubt chaos was here and finally started doing things right for once

thirty muinits then passed and they finally got to the contact i set for them to meet he was being attacked by diranged people with far to many teeth for a normal human the group intervened and sucsesfully saved him the contact then explained he too was looking for clues to weird goings on similar to what the group recived in the breifing and wondered why it was being surpressed. he the pointed out the deranged beings had remnents of Arbite armour

the contact then eventually took the group to a building the Arbites chased him from a supposed base where he had reason to expect a xenos power source was in opperation when the group got to the lowest level of the base after fighting many deranged Arbites only to discover the planatary governer and severel high standing members of the planet around an elevated orb over a massive pit after a quick conversation the group decided to kill the higher ups and the governer had escaped.

the group decided to observe the orb maintaining it was xenos powers then the dumbass of the group a stone emperor loving priest shot it after the shot had been fired a massive surge in warp energies sparked around the room and two bloodletters appeared and engaged the group one guy died and two maimed badly before they were put down then the governor reappeared. He then began explaining the suicides were ritual sacrifice to feed the Artifacts power. In middle of the explanation the group opened fire on him and the artifact after the governer was shot down taking 60 points of combined plasma damage and the artifact taking 20 damage the connection to the governors soul was cut and the power it held became unstable and warp rifts were being torn open across the whole planet after an hour of seeking solutions the group was ordered to retreat off planet

Its alot to read but the point of it all is to see if you can do something similar like misdirection etc. Hope it helps and does not hurt your eyes lol and remember it was an on the spot session so its not perfect feel free to tell me to "get this atrocity out of my sight" :D
Posted Image

#16 Authrix

Authrix

Chief Organ Thief

• Acolyte
  • 3,926 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:56 AM

That actually sounds pretty cool Ariok

Iron, I meant to look in the codex for them and compare those stats to a human and convert it roughly.

I cannot oblige Pony.

#17 Talon Lord Othrim

Talon Lord Othrim

• Elite Member
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:15 AM

oh Ariok I'm gonna have a play with that one.

#18 Lord Ariok

Lord Ariok

Chaos Lord

• GWRS Governing Council
  • 2,772 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:27 AM

Lol feel free othrim and thanks Authrix
Posted Image

#19 Iron K

Iron K

• Premium Member
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:47 AM

First off, Ariok: That was a really good idea. If I may, I will use it as an inspiration for coming games. :P

Second: Hoards! Of course! Why didn't I think of that..?
An unrelenting force, pulling forth like a tide of flesh and blood. Even if it is a weaker enemy, like the Tyranid hybrid, they still will give them a good fight in numbers. And when you think of Tyranids, you think of numbers. Oh so many numbers... :D

I must say that it is pretty interesting sharing ideas like this. Many of my friends play RPG's, but none of them have tried to be a GM in Dark Heresy. So I'm pretty much on my own figuring missions out.

By the way, here is my first look on an Ogryn. Tell me what you think. :P

Spoiler

Posted Image

#20 MetalHead666X

MetalHead666X

Sorcerer Supreme of the Thousand Sons

• GWRS Governing Council
  • 2,438 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:51 AM

Chaos invasion, imperials call Exterminartus they have to escape the planet.

Two Giratina are better than one.

Posted Image

Thanks to Astral Shadow of Serebii for the Signiture

Change Theme!