6 replies to this topic

#1 Keiya

Keiya

Legatus Primus

• Interrogator
  • Others: Community Manager
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:43 PM

Has anyone heard of this over the past year?

A while back, someone started working on a Mod for Arma II called DayZ (Days or Day-Zee, however you want to pronounce it) that turns the game into a zombie survival game. Emphasis on the 'Survival' part.

The way it works is that you have a, I believe, 250km sized map that is every bit as realistic as it can get. Amazing environmental graphics. Realistic lighting. Your character must eat, drink, heal wounds, etc. You can sprint, sneak, walk, crouch-walk, and my favorite - crawl. As you walk, you make sound depending on the environment - pavement makes more noise than moist ground and so on. If you stand you are more visible. If you crawl you are nearly invisible : literally. My best friend has snuck up on me in tall grass with me looking directly towards him. It's ridiculous how nice it is.

The setting of the game is in a Russian area that has been overrun by Zombies - They spawn around towns and buildings. They are relentless There is an actual skymap that you can use to find 'North'. Compasses. Watches. Maps. Hunting Knifes. Cross Bows. Hunting. Cooking meat over an open fire. Tents. Tool belts. Realistic flashlights. Realistic darkness (AKA you can't see shit.) Glowsticks, road flares... it's ridiculous.

Supplies are hard to come by so you have to actually hunt. But this is if you're playing vanilla. You have several servers to choose from and of course the server owner can change spawn settings. There are vehicles. You can repair vehicles right down to finding glass for their windshields and must fuel them save for the Bicycle. -nod- It's wonderful.

Last night, Rom and I found a helicopter crash site - a military chopper at that. Picked ourselves up a silenced SMG and a high powered sniper rifle. Two of the rarest in the game. :D We'll be out of ammo in no time. This was right after making a stand against 20 zombies in a church - unloading from the pulpit as they ran in the door. Needless to say we had to escape because gunfire = noise = more zombies. Hahah.

Anyway : If anyone is interested and already has Arma II you should look up some of the gameplay videos on youtube! It is Realistic survival, so unless it's a 'friendly' server you also have to deal with other players that run as bandits who kill you to take your stuff. We'd love to play with you guys sometime! The downside is that you have to have Arma II : Combined Operations to play.. which is $30. The devs from Arma II liked the Mod so much that they are helping to fund it and it will soon be it's own stand-alone game! So you can either get it now and buy the stand alone later, or wait on the stand alone!

Posted Image

"I scar my armor so that you may know, for I am a Templar of Blood."

#2 Corman2030

Corman2030

Crimson Fist Liaison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:53 PM

Sounds sweet! Gonna have to youtube this.

Posted Image

"If Death is Victory, how Afraid of Life can we be!"-OH, SLEEPER

#3 Thugren

Thugren

Master Of The Sanctuary

• Administrators
  • Others: GWRS Governing Council
  • 14,265 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:22 PM

There's a game already out similar to this called the war z it's fun and its the same damn thing

Oh sanctuary...THAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT Rp
cainsig11.jpg

#4 Keiya

Keiya

Legatus Primus

• Interrogator
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:27 PM

Thugs.. you have just opened my eyes to a new game. o_o

Kidding. :P WarZ seemed alright. I actually spotted it when we were looking around. A Coworker introduced me to DayZ a while back but I never took it seriously until last week when Rom and I started playing. WarZ is a mod into War Inc.. basically. DayZ will actually be developed as a complete stand-alone.

I love the more realistic feel of DayZ personally.

Posted Image

#5 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

Squeak Squeak Mother F***ers

• Administrators
  • Others: GWRS 2.0 Supporter, GWRS Governing Council
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:07 PM

It does sound like an amazing game, might look into it sometime in the future

Do Not XBL-Message or PM Me Website or Community Issues/Requests.
Use The Support Centre Instead!

cruSig2.jpg

#6 Kite Arca

Kite Arca

Vizen The Scion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts
  • Xbox Live:Kite Arca
  • PSN:Kite Arca
  • Steam:Fives

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:10 PM

Yeah me and tug both play war z
Posted Image
I hear you calling calling for me Queen of battle Infantry

#7 Keiya

Keiya

Legatus Primus

• Interrogator
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:26 PM

Yeah me and tug both play war z

Apparently it's similar, going by the online debate and such - so from you guys; how does it measure up? I've seen a few videos and yeah, it looks just like it's previous 'War inc' title, but it looks pretty decent!

Posted Image

Change Theme!