24 replies to this topic

#1 Opeth Of Epica

Opeth Of Epica

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:48 PM

Me and fuzzy were in a party today talking about this subject and we really how shitty some of the 'best metal band' lists were on Youtube so we thought on making this thread. Have a numbered list, random list or anything of your fav bands in the glorious world of heavy metal \m/. I'll go first and my list is based mainly on the quality of the music itself and consistency (so this cancels out many bands since they have one or two amazing albums with the rest being meh e.g Metallica old-new). I find this much harder then fav albums since everything that the band has ever done has to be taken into consideration but first here are some honourable mentions.

Honourable mentions: Versailles: I REALLY wanted to add these guys, they're world class with some of the best songs I’ve ever heard but their latest two albums are not good enough so I had to hold them back :(

The Dillinger Escape Plan: Complete nutters in every sense of the word and are one of the few bands that gets the attention they deserve.

Tool: Legandary band in metal and for good reason, they just need to get off the pot and start writing music again.

Cryptopsy: They produced the instant classic 'None so Vile' and more great albums, it's a shame they produce one shit album to tarnish their career and none of their albums live up to 'None so Vile'

Pig Destroyer: Every album they've made has been complete ear *CENSORED*; these guys are made of your darkest nightmares.

Arcturus: Boldly experimental and always have something interesting to make, bands like these keep metal alive.

Atheist: If I’ve listened to the more of their albums, they would probably be on my list.

Dream Theater: My first prog band and one of the best. Very consistent and 'Images and Words' is still a classic to this day.

Tyr: This band has never gone wrong, ever.

Symphony X: Absolute monsters in every way, they deserve so much more.

Cynic: Turely a special band in the metal world.

Aspid: They made the only thrash album to match 'Rust in Piece', 'nuff said.

Now for the actual list (I know top 6 is a awkward number but live with it :P).

6. Death: People everyday think about the legacy Chuck Schuldiner almost 11 years ago and for good reason. He was the Godfather of Death Metal and Death was his baby. Evolving from quite simplistic, raw death metal to some of the landmark albums in metal today such as 'Symbolic', 'Human' and my personal fav, 'The Sound of Perseverance'. Not only have this band created death metal, they made some of the greatest albums ever made and the fact that Chuck could keep such high quality in his albums with a constantly changing line-up is insane. Even though Death are now gone along with Chuck, their albums and legacy still remains and has metal becomes more popular, more people will know about a legendary band which changed metal forever.

5. Meshuggah: The Swedish Math-Metallers themselves, Meshuggah are a one-of-a-kind that are constantly experimenting and always evolving their formula of crushing, mind-numbing metal. Even though they have spawned many imitators, Meshuggah are Gods in a sea of imitators. Instead of using variety and hooks in their music, Meshuggah decide to use repetition, complex time signatures and monstrous guitar tones that force the listener to submission. Their albums are completely different in tone and atmosphere with fans arguing to this day which album is their best which in my opinion is a testament of how consistent and ground-breaking they really are. Gaining world-wide recognition, having godlike technique (and talent) and continuing to challenge fans with every passing album, Meshuggah are one of the most original and best metal bands today.

4. Carach Angren: Within three albums they have already have became the Gods of Black Metal. They have partially perfected the art of storytelling on 'Death Came Though a Phantom Ship' and have another two stunning albums. What make Carach Angren so special is not only the fact they can do what other Black Metal bands do and do it far better, it's the way they approach the subject matter on their albums and the stories they chose to recreate. It's sickening how well the lyrics are written and the atmosphere they create with the way they will their stories is partially unmatched. Consept albums tend to just tell the story and have to music co-aside the story while Carach have the two merge in complete unison and they truly live in the story they re-create. Carach Angren are not only stunning newcomers to the metal scene, but they are future metal legends.

3. Blotted Science: I'm calling it now, this band are the most musically talented group of people in the world. You have Alex Webster, one of the greatest basses to ever live; delivering a metallic edge to an band that will probably lack it with his stunning bass lines and slap technique. Hannes Grossman with an impeccable groove, combining jazz and metal druming to deliver unforgetable, complex drum pattern. And finally, the mad scientist of music, Ron Jarzombek. It's actually depressing how talented this man is (in fact, he's my fav guitarist of all time) and the fact he put limits on himself when he's creating music just shows that the man is too talented for his own good. Despite some bands, they don't let their talent go to waste and create music that most bands can't even dream to create. I'll let the music speak for itself.

2. Opeth: Passion, pure unadulterated passion. This is what Opeth have been making for the past 22 years with albums such as 'Blackwater Park', 'Still Life' and Ghost Reveries' being praised as monoiths of the musical world with 'Blackwater Park' being seen by many as quite possibly the greatest album of all time. Gravitating away from brutality and into the realm of the truly progressive, songs like Bleak seem to epitomize the essence of Opeth. Combining eerie guitar melodies with ominous acoustic work and gorgeous clean vocal harmonizes; Opeth has given the world so much magnificence that words cannot summarize. I consider Opeth as the leading band in metal today for what it should be: Challenging music that come from the soul, no matter the form and never obeying the trends of the public.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu7UvZTPT4M

1. X-Japan: X-Japan are........wait a minute, no. I will not try to even explain what they mean to me and why they are my favourite band. My lack of English Writing Skills and imagination will fail me to try and describe it. I will say this though, 'Art of Life' is in my mind the greatest piece of human expression/art (yes art, not just music) ever created and every note will stay engraved in my mind forever.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQCTNYs55Us

P.S. I though hard about this list, so please try to make a contribution to the thread and listen to what I have to say :). Thank you.

eB3ZWV8.jpg

#2 Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Death Guard Warmaster

• Elite Member
  • Others: ,
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:09 PM

Will edit this later and find videos but for now my top 10 metal bands.

10:Iron Maiden
9:Dimmu Borgnir
8:Gallows
9:Murder Dolls
8:Absentee
7:Insomnium
6:Mastodon
5:Carach Angren
4:Arcturus
3:Tool
2:PitchBlackForecast
1:MushroomHead

i know afew of these are not technically metal such as arcturus which is avant garde but meh i dont give a shit.

*edit: List is now in order. Will edit again with videos of my personal fave song from each band.

I don't think Farther's For Justice will allow you in the protest where you will be running around on a really high roof while pissed off your face

#3 SeperateTitan

SeperateTitan

• Members
  • Others:
  • Pip
  • 223 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:46 PM

The video in this one is fantastic.

A persanol favorite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFoA9vcolLI
Whats not to like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGZBc2sRqKY&feature=related
A slow song.For those who like to dance.

#4 Opeth Of Epica

Opeth Of Epica

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:10 AM

@fuzzy: Their all metal fuzzy, don't worry :)

@SeperateTitan: 1st link: Meh

2nd: Can't do wrong with a bit of Napalm

3rd: I expected more

4th: By far the best link, amazing.

eB3ZWV8.jpg

#5 JACCX023

JACCX023

Guardian of the kitchen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:53 AM

well i dont really know much about music because i like alot of songs but i dont have an defined theme of music but if memory serves me this band uhhhhh yess Rhapsody-Rhapsody(of fire) i really liked their songs dont know if they count as metal lol
A true warrior is never afraid to employ more unconventional tatics!
Posted Image

#6 Opeth Of Epica

Opeth Of Epica

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:07 AM

well i dont really know much about music because i like alot of songs but i dont have an defined theme of music but if memory serves me this band uhhhhh yess Rhapsody-Rhapsody(of fire) i really liked their songs dont know if they count as metal lol

Rhapsody (of Fire) are Power Metal so yes their metal. I urge to listen to their album 'Symphony of Enchanted Lands', it's their best.

If you like them I recommend the bands Kamelot, Dragonland and Seventh Wonder.

eB3ZWV8.jpg

#7 Opeth Of Epica

Opeth Of Epica

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:28 PM

3:Tool

I did not expect that :)

eB3ZWV8.jpg

#8 MetalHead666X

MetalHead666X

Sorcerer Supreme of the Thousand Sons

• GWRS Governing Council
  • 2,438 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:54 PM

MAH TURNS!

I went to my Favourite Songs Playlist and took these out. I have to try and reduce the amount of Maiden coming I here them being my FAVOURITEs.

10:
CHOP-SUEY- S.O.A.D

9:
DARKNESS WITHIN-MACHINE HEAD

8:
HOLY DIVER-DIO

7:
SCREAM-IN FLAMES

6-
VODKA-KORPLIKANI

5:
KING-SATRYCON

4:
WALK-PANTRA

3:
ENTER SANDMAN-METALLICA

2:
CRIMINALLY INSANE(REMIX FROM REIGN IN BLOOD)-SSSSSLLLLLLLLAAAAAYYYYERRRRRRRRRRR

MA FAVOURITE BAND EVERY:

1:
THE WICKER MAN-IRON MAIDEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
Why does everything have to be limited to 10? There are so many more I want to post which just skimmed the top 10.

THESE ARE ME TOP 10

Two Giratina are better than one.

Posted Image

Thanks to Astral Shadow of Serebii for the Signiture

#9 Opeth Of Epica

Opeth Of Epica

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:47 PM

10. Great band :)

9. Besides 'The Blackening' I don't like Machine Head that much.

8. Ahh Dio, always a classic.

7. I never liked In Flames, or melodeath in general really.

6. Never listened to the band but that song so I can't judge.

5. Hate that song, overrated band.

4. Never really like Pantera, overrated as hell.

3. Anything after 'The Black Album' sucked, everything before it was great.

2. Yet again, overrated.

1. Can never go wrong with Iron Madien.

eB3ZWV8.jpg

#10 Warmonger

Warmonger

=][=

• Premium Member
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:39 PM

Anyone into Five Finger Death punch? Throwdown, disturbed...?

This planet is a graveyard - care to join me? 

#11 Opeth Of Epica

Opeth Of Epica

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:50 PM

Anyone into Five Finger Death punch? Throwdown, disturbed...?

5FDP: Shit

Never heard of Throwdown and Disturbed is ok.

eB3ZWV8.jpg

#12 Warmonger

Warmonger

=][=

• Premium Member
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:52 PM

Meh, opinions are opinions

#13 MetalHead666X

MetalHead666X

Sorcerer Supreme of the Thousand Sons

• GWRS Governing Council
  • 2,438 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:09 AM

Indeed Jk especially If there Opeths!! Fucking strict as hell.

Two Giratina are better than one.

Posted Image

Thanks to Astral Shadow of Serebii for the Signiture

#14 Opeth Of Epica

Opeth Of Epica

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:18 AM

Indeed Jk especially If there Opeths!! Fucking strict as hell.

I didn't mean to scare you :heart:

As long as the opinions doesn't affect personal matters (religion, family etc.), I really couldn't care if i'm strict or not. People should know i'm a bit of a hardheaded asshole by now :D

eB3ZWV8.jpg

#15 Warmonger

Warmonger

=][=

• Premium Member
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:14 AM

metal fans are automatically scary?

#16 Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Death Guard Warmaster

• Elite Member
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:32 AM

You are when you walk past a group of chavs, do a death growl so they look at you then look at the floor and walk away. :D

I don't think Farther's For Justice will allow you in the protest where you will be running around on a really high roof while pissed off your face

#17 Opeth Of Epica

Opeth Of Epica

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:11 PM

You are when you walk past a group of chavs, do a death growl so they look at you then look at the floor and walk away. :D

I wish it was that easy 'cause i'm definately not scary :3.

eB3ZWV8.jpg

#18 Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Death Guard Warmaster

• Elite Member
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:16 PM

Im not scary, but when its dark and the street lights broken so all they see is an outline of someone in a hood its a different deal all together ;)

#19 Opeth Of Epica

Opeth Of Epica

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:18 PM

Im not scary, but when its dark and the street lights broken so all they see is an outline of someone in a hood its a different deal all together ;)

In it :P

Also I forgot two bands in my honorable mentions, editing now.

eB3ZWV8.jpg

#20 Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Death Guard Warmaster

• Elite Member
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:22 PM

FUCK YOU OPETH IM NOT A FUCKING CHAV! FUCK YOU AND YOUR INIT!

Change Theme!