27 replies to this topic

#1 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

Squeak Squeak Mother F***ers

• Administrators
  • Others: GWRS 2.0 Supporter, GWRS Governing Council
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:53 PM

Please read this first post as it should not take you long and it outlines significant changes to this communities operating procedures and rules. Especially make sure you read the final section regarding Cyber-Bullying. If you have seen this more than once it's because I had to make some changes such as bolding the link. Normally you will see it once.

Hey guys, as I've said a few times already we (Staff) have been in the process of debating a bunch of changes aimed at making it easier for us to operate, easier to protect the community and also making some things a bit smoother for your average member.

Below is a sectioned list of a bunch of changes, what they mean and why they're occurring. Most of them will not affect the average user, and those that do are intended to give a bit more slack without making the community more vulnerable.

COPPA
Federal Law in US – if we collect personal info (name, DOB, address, email, phone etc) from anyone under 13 years we have to have their Parent/Legal-Guardians permission. COPPA has nothing to do with site content, just US lawsuit protection regarding age; we exempt from consequences if they (member) claim they over 13 (lie).

Hybrid-Reactive Moderation System
The Moderation system worked well up until a few months ago when a few members found amusement in intentionally and repeatedly breaking rules. This forced us down the path of Mods having to crack down. Therefore after a lot of debate it has been decided to move to a hybrid-reactive system, instead of a proactive system.

This means that Mods will only crack down if one of two cases occurs: the item is reported (and the report can be justified by logic), and the item violates the "Black List". This "Black List" is made up of the word filter, and a list of other things to be established over time. Staff is rounding off this list now, and the Inner Council (see below) will then get a week to alter it before it goes live.

Words and Content related to or included on the Word Filter & Black List are unacceptable and can be immediately moderated without post being Reported.

Only Senior Mods and Admins can now see the reported post banner, and the report post part of the ModCP. This makes the system confidential, and stop people being reported (if in Leader, XO, Acolyte or Global Mod) from seeing it, and more importantly, who reported them and why.

It is requested that all Leaders and members encourage each other to file reports if they feel something stepped over the line of their personal acceptability. Obviously not every report will result in a warning, but they are all going to be considered carefully and historic reports are considered when weighting current ones (so even if the culprit isn't nailed to the wall this time, it'll be more and more likely next time etc) The system will only work if everyone does their part by judging things against their own sense of morals, ethics and taste.

It's impossible to predict every single bad thing that could be posted; therefore the Black List, and by extension the Word Filter, will be maintained and updated as things arise. Inner Council (see below) will determine what "grey" things can be added, and they can debate removing things as well.

Images Related To Filter & Word Filter
Both of the above have yet to be fully debated via threads because of how a word can be acceptable in one location, and not in another. We also have to consider the "Worst Case Scenario" for the application and use of Slang/Regional Words.

There is a massive combined list of words to be added that Spiny ripped off multiple popular forum based websites so we can bring our filters in-line with the majority of those online. I'll make that list available when we finalize it, some of the words on the uber list don't need to be there (for example the word "fuck"), hence the debate. I'm not kidding by "massive" it's over 100 words long, some of which we've never heard of before and have to research - we're not going to unjustifiably add things after all.

Just to mention something a Leader brought up, we went seeking these words from other forums so we would have a more complete list to start with. A lot of the words are derivatives of another (so things like f.uck instead of fuck etc etc). Most of our blacklist will be the same as most other community sites on the web. I'll get back to you all on this once we're finished discussing it.

Guide To Acceptable/Unacceptable
Lists can be soulless, some people will see something isn't on the list and immediately post it without considering the ramifications of it (ie should it have been on the list?). So as part of the video guide series Spec came up with the idea for, we will do a guide on basic rules sometime in the future - probably nearer Xmas.

Consequences (Moderators)
There was no official system in place to handle Mods that mess up or apply their abilities unfairly, therefore one of the items we added to the agenda was the "Reprimand system". The Reprimand system is aimed at teaching and correcting, not slapping Mods with dismissal (as the eventual destination not ban). Also Reprimands will last longer than regular warnings (6 not 1 months) due to calms between high profile Mod “events”.

We can't publicly release Mod reprimand details because it would undermine their authority, but we need to keep it accountable. Therefore a Report on Mod action and reprimands will be maintained, including context (the posts and images resulting in action must be saved for the report).

Therefore all posts must be "saved to archive" not deleted, and all images must be screenshotted and those uploaded to an archive folder on the site. This allows us to include total context on the report, and smack down those false "cavalier" accusations that so often arise.

This report is available to Inner Council only upon request which was reinforced with an electronic non-disclosure agreement. This eNDA is legally binding, so we can dismiss them from the site and council if they violate it. There will be limits on how many reports someone can request, and not all requests will be granted. Requests will go through a peer assessment in that Council before being approved or denied. Reports will only be available once completed and finalized, so the first one will not be available until 6+1months from October 1st.

Define What Earns A Mod A Warning, What Earns A Mod A Professional /Staff Reprimand
Again this has to be continually revisited as situations arise. Right now it gets debated by Admins and Head Mod until we can get a formal "flow chart" in place. Since the reprimands stick for 6 months we cannot apply them liberally, so each case needs to be carefully considered.

Reprimand System Overview
  • 40% = Attend Compulsory Review Session on Teamspeak (Applies to all levels)
  • 60% = All Mod Actions Must Now Be Audited Prior To Action *
  • 80% = Demotion **
  • 100% = Dismissed As Mod ***

* Does not include Moving and Archiving posts/threads. They are not allowed to issue any warnings without first checking it with Peers

** Senior -> Global -> Acolyte -> Jump To 100% (Demoted Acolytes are dismissed). Cannot be promoted again for 6 months if demoted from Senior, 3 if demoted from Global.

*** May not re-apply as Mod for 1 year minimum period

Note: The system applies for Acolytes as well but obviously 60% does not apply. Instead all Reprimands are 200% weight for Acolytes (so they can only go up in 20's, not 10's).

Acolytes
Acolytes will now be Mod Interns only, Local Mods are now bannerless and occupy a separate group (for tracking purposes).

A Buddy system has been implemented for Acolytes. The Acolyte checks all actions (eg warning) with their Buddy BEFORE initiating that action. If they don’t they are dismissed instantly. Beyond reasonable doubt proof for sneaking actions such as delete post and such is required for dismissal, to that end their buddy must audit them routinely (keep an eye on them).

As with all Mods, deleting posts is not allowed, but for Acolytes the first deletion nets reprimand, as opposed to there being some leniency. Stricter rules will apply for interns so they learn to get "in the habit" of archiving things.

Speedbump Consequence System
The current system implemented by Zero is acceptable to all parties. Just to reinforce a key point, Leaders of all the factions a member is part of when hitting a 50% warning are notified upon hitting 50% (when Post Moderation automatically activates). (If a member is in multiple factions, all their Leaders must be notified.)

How To Deal With Martyrs?
Martyrs here are described loosely as malicious trolls who are acting in a way that harms the overall community; for no other reason than bravado or some misguided sense of persecution.

• Evidence of Martyring - Quotes, Screenshots and Links
  • Inner Council Vote – 3 month Post Mod or Ban
  • If after 3 month Post Mod they do it again, repeat process.
  • Only other faction leaders and XOs can vote in this, their (member) Leaders and XOs must abstain (votes will be discounted).

This policy will allow us to deal with those openly acting out, and even those acting in a fashion they deem sly. It will only be invoked during extra-ordinary circumstances. This isn't aimed to smack down the daily use of the site, but rather at those who post in ways aimed to start fighting between factions or destroy the community. Therefore the evidence gathered by Mods is required to exceed any reasonable doubt as to the intentions of the member concerned. It is also checked by the Inner Council, this should prevent any mistakes being made in the invocation of this process.

Should the Council decide to only apply the 3 month Post-Mod, members can earn their way out of it early by publicly visible reconciliatory behaviour. It may seem weird that repeat offences don't earn an instant ban, but it is our belief that eventually the Council will get fed up giving these people second chances... and there's always the chance the member will learn a lesson and improve themselves.

Inner Council
In order to prevent the issue of having many Leaders involved in sensitive issues, an Inner Council was formed. The Staff have selected the initial influx by creating criteria (such as prolonged, responsible and level-headed activity on Gothic Wars). Further additions must be done by a seconded nomination and successful Inner Council vote.

If successfully voted, the Leader must electronically sign a form regarding non-disclosure and conduct (again eNDAs are submissable in court, so we are satisfied with them as a word of honour contract for GWRS) Inner Council members are held accountable to much higher standards of conduct due to their greater entrustment with the sites health and future. XO's may not be voted into the Inner Council, and anyone ejected may not rejoin for a period of 1 year, assuming their offence was minor.

Highly sensitive votes (such as site rule policy and Leader removal) will be restricted to Inner Council whose stability and objectivity is a requirement for their position. Standard things, such as competitions, will remain within the Outer Council. This also prevents new Leaders from joining sensitive debates the day their faction is formed on the site, while allowing greater community feedback on sensitive issues.

We decided to go with every Leader that was nominated because they all received unanimous cries of support. These initial six Leaders have all accepted the position, and most of them have signed the form - the remainder are just slowed down by real life. They are:
  • Batman (Raven Guard)
  • Joker (Nemesis Command)
  • Koko (Imperial Fists)
  • Prosperan (Alpha Legion)
  • Metalhead (Thousand Sons)
  • JC 042 (Sons of The Fallen)
I would like to thank them all for both accepting the position, but also showing level headed and reliable judgement since they joined GWRS. Each of them has been a rock in the sea of turmoil that has been Outer Council from time to time, and we're grateful for their continued dedication to the greater good of this communities members.

Leaders
My (CruciasNZ) stance has been that a Leader is an elected official of a chapter, they do not own their members or their chapter. There will always be those that consider their faction their property, and all the members within it work for them; but supporting that view would lead us down the path of supporting one or two individuals against all their members - a stance which is unfair and illogical. Staff do not want to get drawn into internal politics again, but we need this policy so we can build for the future. Therefore the website will now adopt my view as official policy because it allows us to handle tricky situations.

If a Leaders is banned from public areas their access to PMs are restricted as they can use this system to circumnavigate the restriction. Leaders who are banned from Public Areas can still access the Challenge Calendar and their Private Forums as we consider it a right to arrange games and organize their faction. Leaders can only be banned from Council (and public areas) by Inner Council vote.

They can also be banned from the website all-together if the offence is serious enough (again by vote). Should they have "cronies" which go to war on their behalf, those members can also be post-moderated by mods, or have that action upgraded to ban by a vote.

GWRS requires all Faction Groups to have a Leader to handle interactions and applications, therefore if Leader leaves or is otherwise removed from the site, their factions members must elect a replacement - or face removal. It is expected that the new Leader not be a puppet for banned ones, but we acknowledge we cannot police this. It is our belief that if the members of a faction openly vote for a Leader, then that Leader is justified to occupy that position of trust.

Note: Should a Leader hit 100% (on the warning system) and automatically ban themselves, Council will be made aware but no vote is required. They did hit all the speed bumps on the way up after all and Leaders are after all members of this community and accountable to all the same rules.

Cyber Bullying
(Added 15/10/2012)

We now have a procedure for dealing with Cyber-Bullying. It is designed to protect both the person filing the ticket regarding being bullied, and also the alleged bully until it is decided that they were indeed bullying. The idea behind this system is that there will always be people who have thin skins and are incapable of handling banter who will feel they are being bullied even if they are not.

The system uses the Inner Council and Mod Staff to review and debate the matter fairly before any actions are taken. We take bullying seriously, as does the US Law which we have to adhere to; the document link below outlines how it works, and what the three possible outcomes are.

Note that should a member decide to publicly take matters into their own hands, this will have a bad consequence for them, even more so if they are found wrong.

https://www.gothicwa...=viewdoc&did=30

Do Not XBL-Message or PM Me Website or Community Issues/Requests.
Use The Support Centre Instead!

cruSig2.jpg

#2 MetalHead666X

MetalHead666X

Sorcerer Supreme of the Thousand Sons

• GWRS Governing Council
  • 2,438 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:58 PM

Awesome Sauce.

Two Giratina are better than one.

Posted Image

Thanks to Astral Shadow of Serebii for the Signiture

#3 JC 042

JC 042

Sons of The Fallen clan leader

• GWRS Governing Council
  • Others: GWRS 2.0 Supporter
  • 9,552 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:37 PM

I see how the black list would be tricky to decide, I think it'll eventually brake down to the individual context a word was used.

Posted Image

JC: 99% Anime, 1% hot gas

#4 J NOSK36

J NOSK36

The poniest of all ponies... PONY PONY PONY PONY

• Acolyte
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:40 PM

These sound pretty solid
Posted Image

I am the Night!!!!!!!

#IllumiGothic

#5 Talos Valcoran

Talos Valcoran

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • 1,202 posts
  • Xbox Live:Archmage Talos
  • PSN:Morgoth1100
  • Social Groups:Raven Guard

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:11 PM

awesome

If you win, you live. If you lose, you die. If you don't fight, you can't win! - Eren Yaeger (Attack on Titan)

#6 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

• Administrators
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:31 PM

I see how the black list would be tricky to decide, I think it'll eventually brake down to the individual context a word was used.

Yeah, we're almost done removing the "junk" from the list. Then you get a turn to fiddle with it. Fun times

cruSig2.jpg

#7 JC 042

JC 042

Sons of The Fallen clan leader

• GWRS Governing Council
  • 9,552 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:48 PM

Ive just had a notification to read this but Im about to go bed and my iPod is on its last legs of charge. My apolagies, I promise to read through the changes tommorow morning.

Posted Image

JC: 99% Anime, 1% hot gas

#8 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

• Administrators
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:52 PM

Ive just had a notification to read this but Im about to go bed and my iPod is on its last legs of charge. My apolagies, I promise to read through the changes tommorow morning.

That's fine JC, we added something about Cyber-Bullying which is legally critical. Hence the "MUST READ" protocol on the thread.

cruSig2.jpg

#9 gigi boff

gigi boff

Meatshield

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:58 PM

sound fair and better for alot of use
gigi boff, Glorified Meatshield In The Gothic Wars Since Sep 2012.

#10 Simonbarsinistr

Simonbarsinistr

Crimson Fist Ambassador To GWRS

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:59 PM

I generally view this forum from my phone via tapatalk, and it's repeatedly putting up a toast notification to view this thread. So I'm hoping posting will stop that from happening, as I can't post anything at this point.
Brother Simon of The Crimson Fists II Company

#11 Emporer469

Emporer469

Merc commander

• Interrogator
  • 3,560 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:01 PM

now this can help us out more...so it is a good day

Emporer469, I use to be a spacemarine just like you but then i took a taser to the Knee.
love being a mercenary in sanctum

#12 GrimHavoc

GrimHavoc

Dark Apostle of the Silent Shadow

• Members
  • Others:
  • Pip
  • 222 posts

User's Awards

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:30 PM

Why does it say Joker is Nemesis Command? Has a new Sorceror position opened up in the Night Lords?

I will feast on your eyes.

#13 Armoured Priest

Armoured Priest

Man in the long black coat

• Administrators
  • Others: GWRS Governing Council
  • 10,192 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:32 PM

It's a group of a faction leaders. Joker is the leader of the decepticons and your high sorcerer (which is only a XO role).

Burning, Stabbing, Devouring, Changing, Resurrecting and creating in Sanctuary
We have such sights to show you...

SignatureBurias_zpsafd03a97.jpg

#14 Dragon-Silver

Dragon-Silver

Gothic Wars Acolyte - Fallen Hunter

• Acolyte
  • Others:
  • 572 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:40 PM

Thanks for the update.
The Ravenwings purpose is to hunt the Fallen.
The Unforgiven shall be redeemed.
The Fallen will be purged.

#15 WarmasterStuvis

WarmasterStuvis

The Eternal Swordman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:57 PM

Not sure how this is relevant to meyself but thanks for the 'forced' update ;) pretty shit that measures such as these should be taken, you'd think most people were adult enough to not resort to such nonsense. Get a life bully
Loyalist, traitor, I care not; you all look the same on the end of my sword.

#16 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

• Administrators
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:11 PM

Not sure how this is relevant to meyself but thanks for the 'forced' update ;) pretty shit that measures such as these should be taken, you'd think most people were adult enough to not resort to such nonsense. Get a life bully

Well recent events highlighted the fact we didn't actually have specific policy regarding Cyber-Bullying and it's far easier to deal with if you do. So it was added :)

cruSig2.jpg

#17 Brother Agatone

Brother Agatone

The Relentless

• Premium Member
  • Others:
  • 1,320 posts
  • Xbox Live:The Warmaster82

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:40 PM

These rules definitely makes the site more user friendly.
Purge the heresy with the Emperor's fire of retribution. Destroy the mutant against the anvil of his wrath. Exterminate the xenos with the courage of humanity.

#18 Danguinius

Danguinius

Chaplain

• Members
  • Others:
  • Pip
  • 280 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:58 AM

5 minutes to read my arse!

:D
Posted Image

Blood Angel since 1992

GamerTag: DanFZ604

#19 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

• Administrators
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:02 AM

5 minutes to read my arse!

:D

Slow coach :P

cruSig2.jpg

#20 Talonx13

Talonx13

Sorcerer Lord

• Members
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:50 AM

Got it boss man :D
Behold the Great mutator and the gifts he will bestow upon you.

Change Theme!