13 replies to this topic

#1 Opeth Of Epica

Opeth Of Epica

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:10 AM

I just wondered because I sware only around 5 (including me) people in my school that still buy CD's and I find that rather depressing. Call me old fashioned but I believe there is something special about buying the actual CD then having an MP3 of it. Maybe it's the effort and money you spent to obtain the CD's (and if you buy Japanese CD's when you live in the UK, you especally know what i'm talking about). Maybe it's the fact your supporting the artists that you aspire to. Or maybe it's having the complete experence of having the lyric sheet, pictures of the band and art design covered thought the CD.

Either way my CD collection is ever growing (i'm even bidding on a CD right now) and I feel enriched for it. Even though I have an I-Pod with 2000+ songs and I cerrish it for being so convinent, I allways look at my CD collection and gain a feeling that MP3's could never replicate.

What do you guys do? Are you a download junkie, CD fanatic or both?

eB3ZWV8.jpg

#2 Fallen Angels95

Fallen Angels95

Grand Provost Marshal

• Elite Member
  • Others:
  • 3,585 posts
  • Xbox Live:fallen angels95

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:12 AM

i buy CD's all the time because if your MP3 crashed you coukd lose all the songs and besides I can also rip them onto my xbox :D

To be just, our law must be cruel.

To stand upon the bedrock of law is our great duty. To presume to stand above it is our worst heresy.

We determine the guilty. We decide the punishment.

#3 Bloodbone

Bloodbone

Crimson Fist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:13 AM

I do, I like to own the physical copy of my favorite bands
I will bathe in your BLOOD

#4 Brother Chewy

Brother Chewy

Marine

• Interrogator
  • 916 posts
  • Xbox Live:Vakarian58
  • Steam:SN Vakarian

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:22 AM

i buy CD's when i can but if i cant then i jus down load it on my ipod
Posted Image

#5 Armoured Priest

Armoured Priest

Man in the long black coat

• Administrators
  • Others: GWRS Governing Council
  • 10,192 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:39 PM

I usually buy the cd for my most favorite band, Iron maiden. Their latest one, final frontier, had a awesome metal case for the cd.

Burning, Stabbing, Devouring, Changing, Resurrecting and creating in Sanctuary
We have such sights to show you...

SignatureBurias_zpsafd03a97.jpg

#6 Dominion

Dominion

Space Wolf - Blood Claw

• Members
  • Others:
  • PipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:41 PM

I download for the most part but when it comes to bands I really like I usually buy the album to support them.
Posted Image

#7 JC 042

JC 042

Sons of The Fallen clan leader

• GWRS Governing Council
  • Others: GWRS 2.0 Supporter
  • 9,552 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:41 PM

Buy? No.

CD? Still no.

Posted Image

JC: 99% Anime, 1% hot gas

#8 xxxblackspider

xxxblackspider

Kasrkin

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:45 PM

I love to own the vinyl of my favorite bands, but for the most part I download. Still if a band has not recorded on vinyl then they are not a real band. Sorry pop music lovers but it is the truth :P
Posted Image

#9 Opeth Of Epica

Opeth Of Epica

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:54 PM

I love to own the vinyl of my favorite bands, but for the most part I download. Still if a band has not recorded on vinyl then they are not a real band. Sorry pop music lovers but it is the truth :P

Because that's not an elitist and wrong comment *insert sarcasium here* :cool:

eB3ZWV8.jpg

#10 Domine Nox

Domine Nox

Regent of Ultramar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:19 PM

Call me old fashioned but I believe there is something special about buying the actual CD then having an MP3 of it. Maybe it's the effort and money you spent to obtain the CD's (and if you buy Japanese CD's when you live in the UK, you especally know what i'm talking about). Maybe it's the fact your supporting the artists that you aspire to. Or maybe it's having the complete experence of having the lyric sheet, pictures of the band and art design covered thought the CD.

This sounds almost identical to the argument made against Cassette Tapes and CD's from vinyl. Amazing how trends repeat themselves.

As to music. I tend t buy MP3 now simply because it is rare that I ever want every song on a CD, so why buy the whole thing, when for less I can pick and choose the music I want.

Maybe it's the fact your supporting the artists that you aspire to.

As iTunes and other MP3 services are selling the music, the artists are still getting money for the MP3s. They only don't get money if you download illegally.

Posted Image

Nolo mihi libet sis multo felis.

#11 Opeth Of Epica

Opeth Of Epica

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:45 PM

This sounds almost identical to the argument made against Cassette Tapes and CD's from vinyl. Amazing how trends repeat themselves.

I have no idea how people see Vinyl as the better medium. Larger size, can wear out easier then CD's and no lyric sheet.

As to music. I tend t buy MP3 now simply because it is rare that I ever want every song on a CD, so why buy the whole thing, when for less I can pick and choose the music I want.

I would agree with you although I believe it essentional to have every song on an album since it would disrupt the flow of the album (especally concept albums).

As iTunes and other MP3 services are selling the music, the artists are still getting money for the MP3s. They only don't get money if you download illegally.

I am aware of this, I should have directly linked to directly to illegally downloading.

eB3ZWV8.jpg

#12 Gerhart

Gerhart

MasterDabater

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:09 AM

I don't really buy them anymore. But after hearing this guy, I may buy this one as my truck does not have a USB attachment for my IPOD.

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=FSit6ty5ddw

Posted Image
Worried you are becoming a super DB tool? CLICK ME! Repent I say! Repent!

#13 SuperFreakyNick

SuperFreakyNick

Guardsmen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:16 AM

If I like a majority of the songs, I will buy the CD. If I only like a few songs here and there, I'll buy on iTunes.
Our hero, our hero, claims a warrior's heart. I tell you, I tell you, the Dragonborn comes.

#14 Talos Valcoran

Talos Valcoran

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • 1,202 posts
  • Xbox Live:Archmage Talos
  • PSN:Morgoth1100
  • Social Groups:Raven Guard

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:05 AM

I buy CD's sometimes, but I manly go on iTunes.

If you win, you live. If you lose, you die. If you don't fight, you can't win! - Eren Yaeger (Attack on Titan)

Change Theme!