12 replies to this topic

#1 sonofultramar

sonofultramar

Proud Imperial Guardsmen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:42 AM

I thinking about some time down the future making Imperial Guard army. How should I go about, what are the essentials to have and what kind of tactics should I use?
Posted Image

#2 Illeix Wolf

Illeix Wolf

Meatshield

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:26 AM

First, with the huge assortment of options/fluff/cheese available to the guard, you should decide what sort of army you want to play. infantry battalion, mechanized, armored company, air cavalry, etc. Guard is a daunting thing to just "jump into".
Illeix Wolf, Glorified Meatshield In The Gothic Wars Since Jul 2012.

#3 cosyn

cosyn

asault veteran of the 1st

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:14 AM

Depends on your budget(I'm Assuming your talking about table top). a Mechanized army or armored army will cost a small fortune but will hold up well and look amazing. To start myself I would go with gorillia tactics small mobile squads built to harry units while your heavies pick them off from a far. Typical Tau Tactics.
cosyn, Glorified Meatshield In The Gothic Wars Since Jul 2012.
------------------asault veteran of the 1st-----------------

#4 Fallen Angels95

Fallen Angels95

Grand Provost Marshal

• Elite Member
  • Others:
  • 3,585 posts
  • Xbox Live:fallen angels95

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:26 AM

I don't do guard but id agree with our brother here

To be just, our law must be cruel.

To stand upon the bedrock of law is our great duty. To presume to stand above it is our worst heresy.

We determine the guilty. We decide the punishment.

#5 JC 042

JC 042

Sons of The Fallen clan leader

• GWRS Governing Council
  • Others: GWRS 2.0 Supporter
  • 9,552 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:28 AM

Buy AT LEAST a couple of Leman Russ', a small horde of guardsmen, a couple of command squads or two, some commisars, and a bassilisk or two. And if you have anything that can ally with Guard use it.

Posted Image

JC: 99% Anime, 1% hot gas

#6 Authrix

Authrix

Chief Organ Thief

• Acolyte
  • Others: GWRS 2.0 Supporter
  • 3,926 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:15 PM

I would echo what Illiex Wolf and Cosyn said. Sort out what kind of Guard you want and go from there.
Mechanised Veterans are still good IIRC, Armoured company is fun and hard hitting, though a bit more brittle than in 5th, but still great. Squadrons are better too.
Air cavalry is a bit odd, I can't really give advice on that except that unless your opponent packs a lot of anti-air firepower then you'll get at least a couple of units down.
Never forget hybrid and footslogging hordes. I personally run footsloggers with my tanks to act as bubble wrapping, preventing assaults and the amount of Melta that can close in on my valuable tanks. Hybrid consists of MechVets and footsloggers; it works for some, not for others.

Don't rule out support elements either, regardless of which army type you pick. Our aritllery is easily the best in the game, and units such as Stormtroopers can be valuable assets (and besides, the models for them are great too).

Just remember Guard's most important rule: We roll more dice than you.

You need your head examined - CruciasNZ

Authrix stop making me spill things on my laptop with what you post - Pony

I cannot oblige Pony.

#7 Commissar Blud

Commissar Blud

Meatshield

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:05 PM

I started my Guard army almost a year ago and I went with the typical 'Mass Infantry Gunline of Doom' tactic. I have about 100 guardsman, 1 leman russ, 1 basilisk, 1 valkyrie, and a chimera that can double as a hydra if I need it (and various other units). Personally I find that having WAY MORE infantry than your opponent really helps (considering how crappy they are) and really plays to the spirit of the guard as a massive millitary organization with unlimited reserves of manpower. When in doubt, THROW MORE MEN AT IT!
"It is our duty to muster the Guardsmen's courage and loyalty under fire, and it is our duty to...
GET THE FUCK BACK HERE!" *BLAM* *BLAM*

#8 Fallen Angels95

Fallen Angels95

Grand Provost Marshal

• Elite Member
  • Others:
  • 3,585 posts
  • Xbox Live:fallen angels95

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:18 PM

Brother....have you thought of joining a chapter at all? It would help some ppl greatly and before you ask why I don't have a chapter.....long story I left the Ultramarines in a matter of speaking and am making a D.I.Y chapter

To be just, our law must be cruel.

To stand upon the bedrock of law is our great duty. To presume to stand above it is our worst heresy.

We determine the guilty. We decide the punishment.

#9 Brother White

Brother White

Forge Master of the Crimson Fists

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:19 PM

^This guy gets it

#10 Commissar Blud

Commissar Blud

Meatshield

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:52 PM

I am already a member of a chapter, although we have yet to create it here on Gothic Wars. I'm pretty sure I'm the only person from my chapter who has an account here and I created it recently. The chapter I currently belong to is the.....BLOOD EAGLES. That's right, the infamous cheating bastards.
Captain, 10th Scout Company
"It is our duty to muster the Guardsmen's courage and loyalty under fire, and it is our duty to...
GET THE FUCK BACK HERE!" *BLAM* *BLAM*

#11 Brother White

Brother White

Forge Master of the Crimson Fists

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:21 AM

The chapter I currently belong to is the.....BLOOD EAGLES. That's right, the infamous cheating bastards
Captain, 10th Scout Company

Burn him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Death to all who fight differently!!!!!!!!
Just messing with you

#12 trophicmocha

trophicmocha

Supreme Sorcerer Lord of the Thousand Sons

• Members
  • Others: ,
  • PipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:53 PM

I have myself been doing Imperial Guard now for a while and would agree with the majority of what Authrix and the others have said, but having said that if you go with an infantry based army you should always have several company commanders and junior officers just for the orders that you will be wanting to issue to the squads, as using the codex you should never leave base with out them at all or even vox casters and commissars just as a back to make sure your squads dont flee from the field of battle
Fulgrim is our Lord, Slaanesh is our master, free your senses

#13 Smasher225

Smasher225

Librarian of 3rd Company

• Members
  • Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:02 PM

I'm adding a small attachment of guard to my Space Marine Army. I feel that going a Mix of mech and infantry is a great way to do it. 2 Infantry platoons, Storm troopers and then Tanks lots and lots of Tanks. The Lemun Russ gives you everything from anti armour to anti infantry. Its a great tank to do whatever you want with it.
For the glory of the Imperium.

Change Theme!