Photo

Music/podcasts/live radio in the UK and elsewhere.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 Roey

Roey

Conscript

• Members
  • Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:19 PM

So just a quick question peeps :)

Me and a friend of mine are looking to go into Podcasts/Radio and such, but aren't particularly sure on the laws surrounding it etc, and I wonderd if anyone in this community was a lawyer, buisness man or anyone in general who has dabbled in this area? I'm in the latter stage of starting my own Record Labelling company and so I know a little about copyright and actual, physical 'artifacts', but I havent had any contact with these sort of streaming related things; so any light shed would be much appreciated.

I see no need to PM me, simply post here if you know anything, or anyone one who does, but if things do become slightly more confidential or start off as such, feel free to PM me :)

Bless your faces.

Roey.
Woof.

#2 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

Squeak Squeak Mother F***ers

• Administrators
  • Others: GWRS 2.0 Supporter, GWRS Governing Council
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:41 AM

Every country has it's own rules about these things, the general one is you need a license to broadcast anything that is not your original work.

Most Podcasts use some form of themesong but this is actually illegal. They could be served cease and desist but most people do not do so. After all, it's advertising - how many times have you heard a theme and said fuck I must download buy that.

Streaming again needs a license for every song you intend to stream. It's also illegal to format shift streamed music and video, in other words save it for replay later.

http://mp3.about.com...dia-Illegal.htm

Hopefully the link is more use to you than I am, good luck!

Do Not XBL-Message or PM Me Website or Community Issues/Requests.
Use The Support Centre Instead!

cruSig2.jpg

#3 Roey

Roey

Conscript

• Members
  • Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:09 AM

Cheers Cru, greatly appreciated. Its a shame that the more I want to do, the more rules and laws I run into :/
Woof.

Change Theme!