14 replies to this topic

#1 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

Squeak Squeak Mother F***ers

• Administrators
  • Others: GWRS 2.0 Supporter, GWRS Governing Council
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:05 AM

Brother Davious approached me a few weeks ago regarding a contact from THQ who was wanting to do a post on us. I was asked to write the article which they would then post as a sort of interview. Davious asked me to keep it silent until it came to pass, incase it was pulled for another article etc; however the post is now live.

You can read it at the URL below; however it has been heavily edited to such an extent that it twisted the meaning. They were unable to mention some things (like VASSAL as it violates the GamesWorkshop contract) and some edits I have no idea why they were done tbh. The main victim was our identity, the THQ article only mentions our Space Marine stuff (plus Fenirs guild) and neglects what really makes us unique and special. Therefore I have included the original article below as well, so you can select which one to show people should you have any desire too.

Either way, my thanks to Davious for the opportunity.

Article link is here: THQ Article

And here is the original article: Original Article

Original Article

What Is Gothic Wars?

Gothic Wars is a community founded in by fans of the 2011 game “Space Marine” with the goal of creating a hub for different clans (or “factions”) to come together in a social environment in order to compete and generally have fun. Since then we have expanded to cover a range of games and other activities, such as VASSAL (a program which allows you to play a wide variety of Tabletop games over the internet) and various roleplays (such as Dark Heresy and Sanctuary). For those wondering, our name is a reference to the “Gothic Wars” that occurred in the Warhammer 40k universe, a war between the forces of the Imperium and the worshippers of Chaos; fitting considering our origins in the Space Marine game.

Where Is It Going?

Our code guru is currently writing tons of custom code for us with the aim of expanding our site from just a tweaked out myBB forum to being a full-fledged portal based environment (like Enjin, Guild Launch etc) with faction chat, personal emails and other cool features. Our dream is to allow each group on our site a place that they can customize and feel at home with, while remaining a part of our vibrant community. We’re not limited to just Space Marine factions, we welcome any mature and friendly group that wants a home, to that extent we recently welcomed a veteran WoW guild of 4 years to our community.

What Makes Us Special?

Usually site like these are ruled with an iron fist by a select few, and while we do have a few admins who maintain the site and implement new things, our course is set by a council of leaders. Each faction on our site gets to have its “Leader” and “XO” sit on this council, and have a say on everything which matters.

I mentioned before a roleplay called “Sanctuary”, one of our members created this and we are playing through it in order to help him flesh it out before he releases it to sell. We also have the Conquest Campaign, which is a fictional risk-like game between the forces of Chaos and The Imperium, plus a few Admin-Controlled Tyranids to keep it interesting ;)

We hire an actual web-server thanks to advert revenue and donations, allowing us almost unlimited customization options for our site, but also allowing us to host other things. With the upcoming new release of VASSAL we will be hosting our own server for that, plus we also host a free 512 slot Teamspeak 3 server.

As if that wasn’t cool enough, we use our excess revenue from adverts and donations to fund prizes for competitions we run, such as the Story Writing Competitions, and the upcoming VASSAL based ones

Do Not XBL-Message or PM Me Website or Community Issues/Requests.
Use The Support Centre Instead!

cruSig2.jpg

#2 JC 042

JC 042

Sons of The Fallen clan leader

• GWRS Governing Council
  • Others: GWRS 2.0 Supporter
  • 9,552 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:23 AM

Is Big Mexican Dave a celebrity now? :P Or is he voted best player or somthing?

I have no idea why they edited a lot of the stuff out as well.

Posted Image

JC: 99% Anime, 1% hot gas

#3 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

• Administrators
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:35 AM

Well considering it's his friend I am fine with them mentioning him. I put a lot of time into the article, trying to keep it short but also making it accurately reflect who we are. :(

Ah well, if anyone is interested in it they'll find themselves in this thread reading the full thing :)

Back to stomping people on CnC:TA

cruSig2.jpg

#4 MetalHead666X

MetalHead666X

Sorcerer Supreme of the Thousand Sons

• GWRS Governing Council
  • 2,438 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:48 AM

I read through the THQ one. I think there was to many dreadnoughts.

Two Giratina are better than one.

Posted Image

Thanks to Astral Shadow of Serebii for the Signiture

#5 Brother Davious

Brother Davious

Blood Angels Chaplain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 287 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:39 AM

All edits where for copyright issues. Sorry if it was not what was indented. I also had not read the finished article. Hopefully will be put up on Facebook/twitter soon. :)
Postad bild

#6 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

• Administrators
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:54 AM

All edits where for copyright issues. Sorry if it was not what was indented. I also had not read the finished article. Hopefully will be put up on Facebook/twitter soon. :)

It was linked too from FB

Read both articles carefully Davious, not many changes were copyright driven. Most seem solely to advertise their own product through us.

Still what's done is done, and I learned a valuable lesson from the experience. :)

cruSig2.jpg

#7 JC 042

JC 042

• GWRS Governing Council
  • 9,552 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:12 AM

THQ thinks only about themselves?

Posted Image

#8 MetalHead666X

MetalHead666X

Sorcerer Supreme of the Thousand Sons

• GWRS Governing Council
  • 2,438 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:34 AM

THQ thinks only about themselves?

You Know that EA video? Well Just Imagine that with THQ with all the same things with them selling you online passes in which if you buy there games preowned then you have to pay for more

Two Giratina are better than one.

Posted Image

Thanks to Astral Shadow of Serebii for the Signiture

#9 Gerhart

Gerhart

MasterDabater

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:59 PM

Either way it can only help us. Plus Dave is a beast with the melta ;).

Posted Image
Worried you are becoming a super DB tool? CLICK ME! Repent I say! Repent!

#10 CotW

CotW

Busy Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:05 PM

Honestly I understand their position 100% when it comes to those edits. They are going to promote themselves first and not want to advertise for other companies products. Yes they could have kept more about our non Space Marine stuff in there but what good would it do them? They still did mention we have other games being branched out into and I would not expect them to go into specifics.

Any press is good. That they used us as an example of why Space Marine is a good game that you should buy isn't a bad thing. In fact they brought up features of the site that would make someone who already plays Space Marine more likely to what to come here. Thier "Where is it going?" section is more appealing to me as a Space Marine gamer than the original one.

They could have been much more self serving than they were and I`d say this promo is great the way they published it!
Who's like us?
Damn few, and they're all dead!

#11 Grimaldus

Grimaldus

Librarian, Keeper of the Lore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,125 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:25 PM

In any case, Dave is a celebrity and we are now reconized by THQ as a great community, so is a good thing :P

Posted Image

#12 JC 042

JC 042

• GWRS Governing Council
  • 9,552 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:31 PM

Too bad all the people who would of read the article through facebook couldnt because the link didnt work.

Posted Image

#13 Lewiz92

Lewiz92

4th Company Battle Brother

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:48 PM

Interesting. Good publicity for the site and it wouldn't surprise me if we saw a few new aces because of it.

Posted Image

#14 Cypher 1013

Cypher 1013

Raven Wing 2nd Company battle brother

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:01 AM

The editing did hurt us a bit but we were placed in a positive light and we shall grow. All in all a good thing.
Stoopid fuqing rools.
Awesome ends with me.

#15 Brother Urias

Brother Urias

Conscript

• Members
  • Pip
  • 160 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:18 PM

The article could have been worse. Atleast it tells people that there still is a vibrant community behind this game

Sent from the Crimson Fist's Chapter monastery, Rynn's World
Posted Image

Change Theme!