3 replies to this topic

#1 Apulo

Apulo

Lead Programmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:13 PM

The following steps will allow you to set up an account on our jabber (XMPP chat) server and start chatting.

This is ready to be released to the public. Note that only admins, moderators, and website subscribers will be able to log in.

Firstly, you need an XMPP compliant chat client that supports account creation. I recommend Pidgin (download it from http://www.pidgin.im/download/). I will be using Pidgin in this tutorial.

Your jabber username and password are the same as your forum username and password with one exception. If you have a space in your username, such as Domine Nox, you'll need to replace the space with an underscore (_).

When you fire up Pidgin, you get the Add Account window as follows:

On the Basic tab of the Add Account window. Enter the information as follows. Be sure to enter your FORUM Username and Password. Spaces aren't allowed in XMPP usernames so if your forum username has a space in it, replace it with an underscore (_). Be sure to enter your forum username into the Local Alias box also. This will make sure that other users will recognize you.

Posted Image

On the Advanced tab, enter jabber.gothicwars.org as the Connect server.

Posted Image

When you're done. Click the Add button. You will be asked to verify your password. Enter your password and click OK

Posted Image

You may be asked to verify the server certificate since it's issued for www.gothicwars.org. Go ahead and accept it, and you'll be ready to chat!

#2 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

Squeak Squeak Mother F***ers

• Administrators
  • Others: GWRS 2.0 Supporter, GWRS Governing Council
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:31 PM

Note this will be a donator only feature at some point in the future. If everyone could use it that could devastate the daily post count on the forum.

You also need to type your Forum name in the Local Alias box. Otherwise your username will be absolutely massive and include all the connection info.

Do Not XBL-Message or PM Me Website or Community Issues/Requests.
Use The Support Centre Instead!

cruSig2.jpg

#3 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

• Administrators
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:24 AM

Update: This feature is now live

Usernames on Jabber are based off forum names, so I am:

CruciasNZ@gothicwars.org

While Domine Nox is:

Domine_Nox@gothicwars.org

Basically spaces are replaced by underscores.

Please do not add a contact on Jabber unless you have some relationship with the person, if I added everyone on the forum I would be swamped. As such, I restrict those I accept to people I actually know, so if I don't acknowledge your request, please don't be offended. The same goes for other Staff members here

cruSig2.jpg

#4 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

• Administrators
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 01:29 AM

Update: You can use IM+ to connect to this service on the following smart devices.

• Windows Phone 7
  • Android
  • Blackberry
  • Symbian
  • WebOS
  • iOS

and as a Java client on normal "brick" phones

https://plus.im/

cruSig2.jpg

Change Theme!