5 replies to this topic

#1 Veteran Sergeant Baek

Veteran Sergeant Baek

Noise Marine, Sergeant of Storm Claw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:02 PM

Ok so until June 30th, Black Library are taking short story submissions so you can become a published author for them. Any takers?
blah blah blah I'm a giant penguin in a space marine suit. No one will notice if I keep my helmet on!

#2 Domine Nox

Domine Nox

Regent of Ultramar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:35 PM

I cleaned up your triple posting Baek. :P

I might write up something and submit it.

Posted Image

Nolo mihi libet sis multo felis.

#3 Ork Slayer117

Ork Slayer117

World Eater Cultist

• Members
  • Others:
  • PipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:40 PM

It sucks that I'm 16. lol.
Scream your rage unto the stars, and by the gods, leave none alive!

#4 Cypher 1013

Cypher 1013

Raven Wing 2nd Company battle brother

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:49 PM

It sucks that I'm 16. lol.

I wish I was 16... All the parts still work:P
Stoopid fuqing rools.
Awesome ends with me.

#5 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

Squeak Squeak Mother F***ers

• Administrators
  • Others: GWRS 2.0 Supporter, GWRS Governing Council
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:53 PM

I wish I was 16... All the parts still work:P

LMAO!

Some of our stories that appear here would be worthy of featuring, and would be epic promotion for the site :D

Do Not XBL-Message or PM Me Website or Community Issues/Requests.
Use The Support Centre Instead!

cruSig2.jpg

#6 Domine Nox

Domine Nox

Regent of Ultramar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:17 PM

Frequently asked questions - Submission guidelines for Black Library

Black Library is always looking for new writers to join the hallowed ranks of Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000 authors. To that end, we run an annual ‘open submissions’ window where anyone can send us their story ideas and writing samples.

In response to the overwhelming interest in recent years, we are changing the policy for open submissions, starting in 2012. These new guidelines will also be in effect for any extra ‘themed’ submission periods which may be announced, unless specifically stated otherwise.

First and foremost, the dates for the open submissions window is changing – the mailbox will now be open from Sunday 1st April to Saturday 30th June, based on British Summer Time (GMT+1).

Any submissions sent outside this period will be rejected automatically by the system.

Notably, after the 2012 window we will no longer be accepting novel submissions. The amount of work required for a new writer to pitch a novel, and the amount of time it takes for our Editors to read them, means that it becomes impractical when we receive nearly two thousand submissions in three months! Also, it is exceptionally rare for Black Library to commission a full novel as an author’s first piece of work for us – we are far more likely to ask for short stories first, to test the waters as it were, and Hammer and Bolter magazine now provides a far more accessible platform for writers to make their debut with us.

All submissions should be sent to submissions@blacklibrary.com There is no automated receipt message, and we are unable to confirm the receipt of specific submissions. Please review Games Workshop’s standard policies on submitted material before making any submission to Black Library – full details can be found here.

Prospective authors are able to submit to us in the following ways:

Short writing sample

This is the most obvious and clear-cut method for submitting to Black Library – all we require is a title, and a sample of your best and most engaging writing (between 500 and 1000 words). It is presumed that you have a story idea in mind and that this would be an extract from it, but you should simply aim to demonstrate your finest prose to us.

The short stories that we publish are generally between 5,000 and 10,000 words in length, and you should bear that in mind when writing your sample. If we like your initial submission, one of our editors will contact you to discuss working the idea up into a full story pitch for further assessment.

When submitting a short writing sample by email, please attach it as a Microsoft Word-compatible file (.doc or .docx are best) but also paste the full text of your work into the body of the email itself.

Game book sample

In a new and exciting venture, Black Library are now accepting submissions for ‘choose your own adventure’-style game books, for our Path to Victory series. In these books, the reader plays the role of the main character and must fight their way through hordes of foes to reach their ultimate goal.

For a game book submission, you should include the following:
1) A title for the book, and a one-paragraph summary of the whole storyline
2) Ten sample pages, each detailing an encounter or giving the reader a choice to make. These need not be sequential in the storyline, but should certainly give us an idea of how you intend the player/character to progress as the adventure goes on. Each page should be no more than 200 words long

A full game book would be expected to weigh in around 50,000 words in total, with approximately 400 pages, and you should bear that in mind when working on your sample. If we like your initial submission, one of our editors will contact you to discuss working the idea up into a full story pitch for further assessment.

When submitting a game book sample by email, please attach it as a single Microsoft Word-compatible file (.doc or .docx are best) but also paste the title and one-paragraph summary into the body of the email itself.

Novel pitch (last chance!)

The open submissions window in 2012 will be the last opportunity (for the foreseeable future) for new writers to submit novel pitches to Black Library. Unless you have already started work on your pitch, please consider submitting a short writing sample instead (see above for details).
For a novel pitch submission, you should include the following:
1) A title for the book, and a one-paragraph summary of the whole plot
2) A chapter-by-chapter synopsis in no more than 4 pages
3) The first three chapters of your novel (10,000 words minimum)

A novel is understood to be approximately 100,000 words in length, and you should bear that in mind when working on your pitch. If we like your initial submission, one of our editors will contact you to discuss working the pitch up into a full novel for further assessment.

When submitting a novel pitch by email, please attach it as a single Microsoft Word-compatible file (.doc or .docx are best) but also paste the title, the one-paragraph summary and the first 500 words of your first chapter into the body of the email itself.

General submission guidelines

Black Library only publishes stories set in the rich and diverse worlds of Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000 – we do not accept submissions of generic fantasy or science fiction.

We do not accept Horus Heresy, Space Marine Battles, Time of Legends or Gotrek & Felix submissions from new writers. If this policy changes for any reason, we will announce it accordingly.

Please note that Games Workshop is a British company, based in England – therefore we can only accept submissions that are presented in the English language.

For logistical reasons, we cannot accept submissions by post or in person at any time, unless you have prior agreement from a member of our editorial team or it is announced at a specific event where we will be ready to receive them.

Black Library reserve the right to reject any submission, without stating the reason. Submissions will be rejected automatically if they do not follow the exact instructions presented above. We are unable to enter into correspondence with any submitting writer, unless their work is of sufficient standard to warrant further interest from our editors. Black Library’s decision is final in all matters concerning submissions.

Posted Image

Nolo mihi libet sis multo felis.

Change Theme!