65 replies to this topic

#1 Faust kellhound

Faust kellhound

Dark Angels 2nd CO RavenWing, Apothecary

• Members
  • Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:12 AM

i have a nice list of authors to check out now i need to know what books are good to check out i have the ultramarines omnibus and the founding (dan abnett), i like them both and finished them now im looking for something else. any good books you know of
Posted Image

#2 Domine Nox

Domine Nox

Regent of Ultramar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:21 AM

The entire Horus Heresy series beginning with Horus Rising is highly recommended. Some of the battle books are pretty good, Rynn's World particularly. I also suggest the Path of the Warrior first book in the Eldar series if that interests you at all. And my favorite 40k book is Lord of the Night.

Posted Image

Nolo mihi libet sis multo felis.

#3 TheGodDernMan

TheGodDernMan

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:30 AM

Read the Horus Hersey books, they are great!
Banned for trying to destroy the community from within: https://www.gothicwars.org/forums/showthread.php?tid=5131&pid=69305#pid69305

#4 Cypher 1013

Cypher 1013

Raven Wing 2nd Company battle brother

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:26 AM

The heresy is a MUST!! "Those who do not know their past are doomed to fall to its ways." Magnus the Red
Stoopid fuqing rools.
Awesome ends with me.

#5 warhammer62

warhammer62

Meatshield

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:36 PM

amen on horus books
warhammer62, Glorified Meatshield In The Gothic Wars Since Apr 2012.

#6 Lord Commander Archael

Lord Commander Archael

Chapter Master

• Members
  • Others:
  • Pip
  • 193 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:39 PM

The HH series is good but there are one or two books that are pretty hard going, not all of them are written to the same standard.

The entire Gaunt's Ghosts series is very good too, nice to see the Universe from mortal men's perspective.

I've just started reading the Space Wolves omnibus and I'm absolutely loving it - the author paints Ragnar not as an indestructible demi-god but rather as still very human and vulnerable. :)

Posted Image

#7 Brother Remiel

Brother Remiel

Conscript

• Members
  • Others:
  • Pip
  • 220 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:06 PM

The HH are awesome dragged on a little but you can forgive the money grabbing. Gaunts ghosts are always good. The space wolf and blood angels omnibus's are great to. Plus i like the iron snake book.
He who spill's blood with me, shall be my brother
Posted Image

#8 Darksaint

Darksaint

Wolf Lord Skull Takers Great Company

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:17 PM

All great suggestions and I will add if you like gaunt try sandy mitchells ciaphus Cain series puts a completey different spin on the commiserate :) and adds humour :)
Also double eagle and titanicus by Abnett are great thunderbolt s and titans what's not to like ;)
Darksaint. If the mjod turns sour I ain't the kinda wolf to drink it !

#9 JC 042

JC 042

Sons of The Fallen clan leader

• GWRS Governing Council
  • Others: GWRS 2.0 Supporter
  • 9,552 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:09 PM

Rynn's World particularly.

I personal hated Rynns World, and thats somthing considereing I was using 8,000 pts of Fists at the time :/

Most Horus Heresy books are recommended, my favourite is Mechanicum. Also by the Night Lord series, they are the best books I have ever read.

Posted Image

JC: 99% Anime, 1% hot gas

#10 Corman2030

Corman2030

Crimson Fist Liaison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:10 PM

Gaunt's Ghosts the lost, enough said!

Posted Image

"If Death is Victory, how Afraid of Life can we be!"-OH, SLEEPER

#11 Domine Nox

Domine Nox

Regent of Ultramar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:14 PM

I enjoyed Rynns world for the high action content, which is what I want from a batle book. Why I also liked Purging of Kadilus but not Hunt for Voldorius.

Posted Image

#12 JC 042

JC 042

• GWRS Governing Council
  • 9,552 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:27 PM

I enjoyed Rynns world for the high action content, which is what I want from a batle book. Why I also liked Purging of Kadilus but not Hunt for Voldorius.

Wow thats actually the opposite for me, the ending of Purging of Kadulus was terrible:
A single Guardsman kills some Orks with a bolt pistol. Chimera drives up, General steps out and sais "Congratulations soldier, you've won the war!". The End.
Im sorry but I just hated that ending:/

And I thought Hunt for Voldarus was pretty good, especialy with the huge team battle with the White Scars and Raven Guard (if you read Legends of The Space Marines, a short story has the same White Scar who killed Nihilan on the Daemon Baneblade, kill him again).

But then again everything we recommend is a matter of perception or oppinion, if I was you, buy a bunch of different books, find the ones you like, then stick with that author. Then you'll end up in debates like me and Nox before you know it! :P

Posted Image

#13 Domine Nox

Domine Nox

Regent of Ultramar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:35 PM

In so far as Purging of Kadilus I judge by the story's journey, not the ending.

Posted Image

#14 Lord Commander Archael

Lord Commander Archael

Chapter Master

• Members
  • Others:
  • Pip
  • 193 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:43 PM

Most Horus Heresy books are recommended, my favourite is Mechanicum. Also by the Night Lord series, they are the best books I have ever read.

Mechanicum was a weird one, I actually stopped reading it around half way through as it was boring the hell out of me but I eventually went back to it and the second-half was great. Takes a while to get going but the ending is worth it :)

Posted Image

#15 Ork Slayer117

Ork Slayer117

World Eater Cultist

• Members
  • Others:
  • PipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:46 PM

I want the Hunt for Voldorius because of the tag team of White Scars and the Raven Guard, two of my fav Chapters!

JC ignore Nox hes just jelly of the Raven Guard, he can't just get over their sneaky skillz and their glowing eye lenses (THEY HAVE THEM NOX!) He doesnt even consider them a spec ops chapter. pff. I think he'll change his mind when a Raven Guard slits his throat. (Jk Nox, just messing with you bro)
Scream your rage unto the stars, and by the gods, leave none alive!

#16 Brother Remiel

Brother Remiel

Conscript

• Members
  • Others:
  • Pip
  • 220 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:50 PM

I thought i would hate mechanicum but ended up enjoying it, nice to get a war but non astarte view. The one i didnt really enjoy was battle for the abyss. Seemed like it had no indication on the overall story.
He who spill's blood with me, shall be my brother
Posted Image

#17 Domine Nox

Domine Nox

Regent of Ultramar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:53 PM

Battle for the Abyss was the precursor to Know No Fear and the war on Calth. Also had the most badass World Eater in the books so far.

And Ork I am a dangerous person to mess with. :D

Posted Image

#18 Ork Slayer117

Ork Slayer117

World Eater Cultist

• Members
  • Others:
  • PipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:01 PM

And Ork I am a dangerous person to mess with. :D

A Night Lord with spiked armor, with all sorts of terrying effects, massaging a blade and chuckling evily, or a Raven Guard with a Silenced Bolter with blowing eyes and a Corvus helmet, hard to tell who would come out on top since I like them both. =)
Scream your rage unto the stars, and by the gods, leave none alive!

#19 JC 042

JC 042

• GWRS Governing Council
  • 9,552 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:09 PM

Also had the most badass World Eater in the books so far.

He was badass! But I really hated that book though... Mainly because it NEARLY destroyed the Ultra Smurfs but failed...

Posted Image

#20 Domine Nox

Domine Nox

Regent of Ultramar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:13 PM

Again with Ultramarine hatred that still has yet to be justified.

Posted Image

Change Theme!