8 replies to this topic

#1 MetalHead666X

MetalHead666X

Sorcerer Supreme of the Thousand Sons

• GWRS Governing Council
  • 2,438 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:17 PM

SO!

An Idea which has been done many a time before on many other sites I decided to run one here. So Each week I will generate a number and give you Battle tactics and Ideas for that Pokemon!

So this week we start with.....

GENGAR!
Posted Image
Quite a common one around GWRS with I believe everyone having one. With the addition of Mega Gengar in Pokemon X and Y opportunities for mass use have been opened up further with the Shadow Pokemon taking center stage.

It has 130 Special attack and 110 speed. However, it does come with faults, such as having minimal health and defenses (which are made up through immunities however) . Luckily for us a wide movepool and the stats above makes Gengar perfect for hitting hard and fast
----------------------------------------------------------------------
So here is one of the best sets from the Gengar Smogon page
http://www.smogon.co...kemon/gengar/ou

"Now you see me..."
Item: Black Sludge
Being a poison type as well as a ghost this benefits Gengar more so than leftovers. Giving it this will keep it in the game longer after taking hits and will make up the HP used from Substitute.

Super Training Stats (Where to Focus) 4 HP Evs/ 252 SPA Evs/252 Speed

MOVES:
Substitute (Very Important here, vital for keeping Gengar in the game. Make this your priority to set up early in the game)

Disable (Used to stop attacks which could otherwise prove fatal once yours substitute is set up. Again very important)

Shadow Ball (Provides a strong STAB move, which if used in the right place, can prove to be a right old pain. Added bonuses for the chance to lower oppenents SpD which can make your hits harder)

Focus Blast ( To cover against opponents Shadow Ball wont hurt. This works well against those pesky Steel Types and Normal types like Blissey who have high health and are able to heal their team. This is a very good cover.)

SETUP:
With your amazing speed stats use Substitute to protect your self and stay alive first. Once this is done your gonna have to deal with the opponent. Most foes will go down with a hard hitting Shadow Ball, while others may not. E.G Steel types with high resistance, Normal types who are immune and the occasional Dark type. For these lot use Focus Blast for either a satisfying 1HKO or a unlucky 2HKO.

Now of course there is going to be something which will hurt Gengar and Substitute wont be there forever, especially against faster opponents such as Scizor. This is where Disable comes into play. As your substitute is soaking up the hits use it to stop them using moves that may prove fatal later on. Then finish up.

Shadow Ball is Learnt at Level 33
Substitute can be Learnt through TM
Focus Blast is TM 53
Disable is an Egg Moves (Breed with the Muk Line or the the Dusknoir line and make sure they have it!)
Now here is one I made specifically for X and Y
"Isent even my final form"
Item: Gengarite (FOR MEGA EVOLUTION!)

Super Training Stats (Where to Focus) 4 HP Evs/ 252 SPA Evs/252 Speed

Now when mega evolved Gengar is deadlier than ever. With 170 base SpA and 130 base Speed and Most importantly, improved defenses Gengar can hit harder and Faster than ever before. However it loses its resistance to Ground Type moves so watch out.

Now this move set is my prefrence so dont take it to heart, you would most likely be better of giving Gengar the same set as before, replacing Disable with Willowisp or Toxic.

Hypnosis ( Now this can prove fatal to many a team, Making Pokemon pretty much unusable if it hits em. With the the rest of this class you will be on your way to annoyance heaven.)

Dream Eater (Being a Psychic type move it has a wide coverage, and with 100 base power mixed with Gengars SpA is also hard hitting. Even better it returns half the health you take, proving to be a rather nice bonus.)

Shadow Ball (Same reason as before, Hard hitting and provides STAB to boost it further.)

Focus Blast (Same reason as before, covers against those Steel types and the bloody Normals.)

How this is meant to work is, You use Hypnosis to send the opponent to sleep and then use Dream Eater to sap health and deal damage. You can use Shadow ball to do mass damage and then Focus Blast to hit those that shadow ball cant. If used correctly it can ruin opponents and Hypnosis can keep enemy's out of the game for other members of your team to finish if Gengar cant.
COUNTERING GENGAR
Gengar being a Ghost Poison type has some rather annoying weaknesses. One of which is being weak to Psychic types. Thanks to its fragile defenses you can wipe it rather quickly, however you will need a faster Pokemon than iteself. Dragon Dance Gyrados can prove a pain to an extent but Pokemon like Steelix and Blissey will really prove a pain due to the fact they resist Gengar so heavily, that there is really no possibility for a 1HKO against them. Alakazam w Mega Stone is also a force to be reckoned with here.

Two Giratina are better than one.

Posted Image

Thanks to Astral Shadow of Serebii for the Signiture

#2 ajar1189

ajar1189

Brother I am Pinned Here!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:56 PM

Oh man Gengar has been my favorite pokemon since red/blue came out. It's pretty fucking amazing.

I haven't done any theorycrafting in a while and am probably out of the loop, but the build there seems pretty solid. I like the pain split one as well due to the synergy with substitute, although it would also depend on your team composition.

I used to play on net battle with friends but haven't done that in a long time. Do you guys do that at all or just use a DS (or whatever Nintendo's newest handheld thing is)?

Check out the app called Verge I Created: http://goo.gl/OFW1yl. It's only for android now, but will be out for iPhone in the near future!

It essentially allows you to share your location with your friends, family, coworkers, etc through a group in the app. You can find everyone in your group's location by pressing a button (assuming they respond to the request), and plot it on a map. From there you are given a point that is equidistant from everyone. With this you can find a place to search for and meet up and send this location to everyone in your group telling them thats where you want to meet. There's no need to enter any addresses, and all you need to do is click a few buttons.

#3 MetalHead666X

MetalHead666X

• GWRS Governing Council
  • 2,438 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:18 PM

Most of us have 3DS and play the latest editions of Pokemon which would be X and Y

Pain Split is very useful depending on your situation. If your willing to take damage to use it your also gonna need Dream Eater and U-Turn. Switch out to Something with a Priority attack such as bullet punch to fuck shit up.

Posted Image

#4 Iron K

Iron K

A Berserker's Soul in a Pacifist's Body!

• Premium Member
  • Others: GWRS 2.0 Supporter
  • 1,833 posts
  • Xbox Live:Iron K

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:21 PM

Love Gengar... Could never get one though.. No one wanted to trade with me...

Lonely.. I'm so loonley...
I have nobody.. I am all on my ooooown...

Posted Image

#5 MetalHead666X

MetalHead666X

• GWRS Governing Council
  • 2,438 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:33 PM

Well I mean I would help you If ya still had it. I have every generation since Diamond.

Posted Image

#6 ajar1189

ajar1189

Brother I am Pinned Here!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:52 PM

Ah well I do not have a 3DS nor do I have X or Y versions. If any of you get on net battle let me know as I would be willing to battle on there (its free afaik).

Check out the app called Verge I Created: http://goo.gl/OFW1yl. It's only for android now, but will be out for iPhone in the near future!

It essentially allows you to share your location with your friends, family, coworkers, etc through a group in the app. You can find everyone in your group's location by pressing a button (assuming they respond to the request), and plot it on a map. From there you are given a point that is equidistant from everyone. With this you can find a place to search for and meet up and send this location to everyone in your group telling them thats where you want to meet. There's no need to enter any addresses, and all you need to do is click a few buttons.

#7 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

Squeak Squeak Mother F***ers

• Administrators
  • Others: GWRS 2.0 Supporter, GWRS Governing Council
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:10 PM

I find it suspicious your first random number gave you Gengar

Anyway,

Hypnosis, Dream Eater, Shadow Ball, Shadow Punch are the moves I have right now (that last one due to lack of better move so far @ 56).

I played my friend last night and Gengar pretty much obliterated her entire party on his own. She finally got him with that aerial bird (the one with recoil damage) move Mega Blazikin can have; however, much swearing was done at how efficiently my Gengar sliced through her stuff :D

<3 Gengar

Do Not XBL-Message or PM Me Website or Community Issues/Requests.
Use The Support Centre Instead!

cruSig2.jpg

#8 MetalHead666X

MetalHead666X

• GWRS Governing Council
  • 2,438 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:24 PM

Well it wasent random I just went for one I knew most had. Also because I was getting Pre Evolved pokemon of which no one uses. So yeah went with what I know.

Cru you can by Focus Blast from Anistar City Pokemart. Its the 7th gym I believe.

Posted Image

#9 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

Squeak Squeak Mother F***ers

• Administrators
  • Others: GWRS 2.0 Supporter, GWRS Governing Council
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:16 AM

Only at Frost Cavern right now, don't play it much due to other commitments

Do Not XBL-Message or PM Me Website or Community Issues/Requests.
Use The Support Centre Instead!

cruSig2.jpg

Change Theme!