24 replies to this topic

#1 Assassinatus41

Assassinatus41

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:45 AM

I'm a bit nervous about starting to collect models. Are they hard to paint? I'm not on the best of terms with paint. Also, are they expensive? I like to try and keep a handle on my finances.
For Russ! For the Wolftime!

#2 Thugren

Thugren

Master Of The Sanctuary

• Administrators
  • Others: GWRS Governing Council
  • 14,265 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:47 AM

It's a bit pricey but its an invest ment..buy but as one veteran modeled to a newbie, your first will probably make you cringe, you'll learn as you go

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Oh sanctuary...THAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT Rp
cainsig11.jpg

#3 Assassinatus41

Assassinatus41

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:34 PM

Ok, thanks. I'll buy a small pack of Ultramarines to practice on before jumping full Space Wolves.

Are multiple coats of paint a good idea or a waste?

#4 Crimson Marine

Crimson Marine

Wolf in Primarchs clothing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:40 PM

The only way I have ever had a good finish on power armour is with a spray gun/air gun. GW sell one now and I found that using this over the top of a standard undercoat gives you perfect coverage with no brush strokes and doesn't take a ridiculous amount of time.

Sent via the Astronomican

Postad bild

#5 Assassinatus41

Assassinatus41

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:00 AM

Is the air gun something I can use at my desk, or is it like regular spray paint that has to be outside or in the garrage? I'm actually greatful you mentioned this, Crimson. I've used spray paint before, And I really liked the results. And the best part was no brushes, no mixing, and underlying newspapers made for easy clean-up.

For details such as armor creases, facials, etc. what tool do you recomend? I've thought about using either a very fine brush, a toothpick, or a needle.

#6 Cypher 1013

Cypher 1013

Raven Wing 2nd Company battle brother

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:25 AM

winsor and newton paint brushes are the best. a wet palette will also help with keeping your paints wet and consistent. Just have fun with it.
Stoopid fuqing rools.
Awesome ends with me.

#7 Darkanis

Darkanis

Black Cardinal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:35 AM

Just do several thin layers of paint instead of one thick layer. I use a wet pallet and it keeps the paint thinned to my liking. This Saturday I will begin posting a step by step painting of my Greatswords if you want to check it out.

Posted Image

#8 Crimson Marine

Crimson Marine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:19 AM

Which ever way you decide to go depends on how much time you intend to spend on each model. My method for Crimson fists is, Chaos black undercoat spray, then a mix of necron abyss and midnight blue from a spray gun. Then I pick out the details with a fine detail brush. After this I use the spray gun again with blue and black washes, and finally highlights. I don't do the hobby at the moment but in the showcase thread are some terminators done in this method from a few years back.
And yes the spray gun is a accurate tool so you can do it on a desk with a sheet of newspaper.
Last tip, lol, if you have a lot of rank and file to do and want speed them up, undercoating and the first spray layer while the pieces are on the spure can save you paint too.

Postad bild

#9 Assassinatus41

Assassinatus41

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:07 AM

what's "on the spure?"

#10 DTdante2787

DTdante2787

I will never be a memory

• Interrogator
  • 1,886 posts
  • Xbox Live:dtdante2787
  • Steam:nightlorddante
  • Social Groups:Night Lords

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:55 AM

I use Testors oil based model paints for my miniatures, but I might take a few pointers from you guys as I always look to improve. I will have to try out the thinner layers method

Just happen to have some Chaos bikers who need to be painted as Space Wolves 13th Company to practice on :P Results will be posted in the Showcase Forum

raptor_by_artimac-d4xg7cccopy_zps5623e7c

#11 Darkanis

Darkanis

Black Cardinal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:16 AM

He means before you cut them off the sprue they come connected to. I'm from the school off each model should be painted to your best. We pay out the ass for the model so why not make them all "center piece" models? lol It does take a lot more time though.

Posted Image

#12 Assassinatus41

Assassinatus41

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:55 PM

I didn't realise they came connected to a frame. I guess it makes sense, most models do.

Took a look around my local hobby shop yesterday. A box of five plastic Ultramarines was $50! Gag! They were more expensive than a box of metal Black Templars I found right next to them, which was still $40+!

There's another shop in town I want to check out before I toss money around, but I did buy the Space Wolves Codex. Fenris sounds like a sucky place to live.

#13 Brother Phoenix1664

Brother Phoenix1664

Captain of the 7th, Master of the Gate

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:01 PM

Yea i just ordered the spray gun as i want to get back into it now and then i rodered 2 dreadnoughts that i intend to paint as crimson fists, all and all about £90 i spent easy, not even got the paints yet

Posted Image

#14 Thugren

Thugren

Master Of The Sanctuary

• Administrators
  • Others: GWRS Governing Council
  • 14,265 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:12 PM

i cant wait till they reinstitute chaos factions......ppl hated this lastcodex

Oh sanctuary...THAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT Rp
cainsig11.jpg

#15 Darkanis

Darkanis

Black Cardinal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:07 PM

I didn't realise they came connected to a frame. I guess it makes sense, most models do.

Took a look around my local hobby shop yesterday. A box of five plastic Ultramarines was $50! Gag! They were more expensive than a box of metal Black Templars I found right next to them, which was still $40+!

There's another shop in town I want to check out before I toss money around, but I did buy the Space Wolves Codex. Fenris sounds like a sucky place to live.

Check out TheWarStore.com(click). They sell everything with a 25% off discount and a flat $8 shipping. Due to GW's no online selling they have to take your GW orders over the phone. Also check out their 40K Bits Section(click) for great deals on just the models/arms/weapons/heads.

Posted Image

#16 Assassinatus41

Assassinatus41

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:24 AM

I don't plan on flocking. I'm just going to leave the platforms plain. That's not verboten is it?

#17 OftKilted

OftKilted

Meatshield

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:03 PM

Painting is a lot of fun and it takes much practice but one of my favorite sites is:

From The Warp (A Painting And Modeling Blog) I've included a link to their archives which covers an absolutely awesome amount of material on painting and modeling.

http://fromthewarp.b...p/archives.html

I can also solidly recommend How to Paint Space Marines
http://www.games-wor...dId=prod1130256

Along with How to Paint Citadel Miniatures
http://www.games-wor...dId=prod1290009

The best recommendation I can make is don't paint too thick, don't be afraid to make mistakes ... and use an appropriate primer.
"Your Emperor is False!"

#18 Crimson Marine

Crimson Marine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:31 AM

Shame your not interested in the bases, as they can make an average model look great. They are really easy too, just PVA glue and imagination.

Postad bild

#19 OftKilted

OftKilted

Meatshield

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:18 AM

Bases are "easy peasy"

Get some pva glue (standard white glue) and an old paintbrush and some basing sand (regular sand works well but it should be clean)

Cover the base in glue and then dip the base in the sand so that the mini is standing in sand to the ankles.

Let the base dry, you can then put a couple thinned layers of glue over it and basecoat and paint the sand. (or you could leave it be ...)

Painting Citadel Miniatures talks about that process pretty nicely. (See above post.). There are done nice articles on basing on the FTW blog i linked to above.

I like acrylic media with pumice gel (ie pulverized volcanic pumice) (google it) as it tends to work really well for giving a "sand effect" without needing to deal with sand. I spackle it on with a Popsicle stick and let it dry. It seems to have less of a tendency to flake off like regular sand does.
"Your Emperor is False!"

#20 Assassinatus41

Assassinatus41

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:25 AM

Does anyone besides the pros drill out gun barrels so that they actually look like guns and not solid chunks? If anyone has any tips on that I'd love to hear them!

Change Theme!