#1 ebonybrotherhood

ebonybrotherhood

Blood Thirsty Psychopath

• Members
  • Others:
  • Pip
  • 167 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 02:23 PM

Alright, I had a bit of a sit down and thought about how I wanted to bulk up my Chaos Space Marine army, and after playing a 2v2 game with Orks as my ally I was thinking if I could use the ally system to use orks in my army.

But the little thing I am stuck with is whether or not they will complement my army or not. To give a basic idea, I use a super upgraded Daemon Prince, Kharn and a bunch of Bezerkers, a few Regular Chaos Marines, and a handful of cultists for fodder. Also worth note is that I am a big fan of Close Combat, but lacking in any ranged weaponry worth writing home about.

So, TL;DR, Can Orks be used well as a ally for Close Combat based CSM?
also on a similar note, please recommend any Units from CSM that could help me out or any Alternate Allys

How could my Chaos Space Marine possibly be this cute?

#2 Doomdrinker1

Doomdrinker1

Brother Icarus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:36 AM

Well I'd say you need some ranged fire power to supplement you melee units. I have a very large chaos army (8000pts+) and I usually run a melee based list and although the orks are good in close combat they will not complement you list to well like I said you need some ranged I'd say a demolisher is a great one for melee based army's and maybe some plague marines/thousand sons which are always good to soak up damage and provide a serious threat to the enemy.

An ally that complements a melee based chaos army is a mechanized guard army(traitors of course) as the tank company's really ad that long range firepower that your army is missing. Also if you do this you don't need to buy any guard infantry you can just use the cultists as guardsmen to get that true traitor feeling whilst still getting the benefit of the leman russ.
Posted Image

#3 trophicmocha

trophicmocha

Supreme Sorcerer Lord of the Thousand Sons

• Members
  • Others: ,
  • PipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:57 AM

I would have to agree with doomdrinker but add that if you need some serious fire power then you can use the tau aswell mate if you dont go down the guard route or you have the necrons as another viable option aswell. As for units units it does depend on what you want that unit to do but that said you have plague marines/thousand sons for that bit of durability, noise marines/havocs for fire power and chosen that you can use to be close combat or as ranged or a mix of the two, also to take note of would be raptors and chaos bikers for that bit of extra mobility.
Fulgrim is our Lord, Slaanesh is our master, free your senses

#4 Morentz01

Morentz01

Dark Apostle

• Members
  • Others: ,
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:23 PM

I would suggest getting two Heldrakes for your chaos army as they will slaughter anything that isn't 2+ save or 14 armor all around. Is your army foot slogging it? If so then you might want to consider getting a land raider for Kharn and his unit of Berserk. Tau would make good allies seeing as they are complete cheese if you know what to run. Another question are you wanting it to be competitive?
Cast down the idols! Destroy the temples! Slay the priests! Show these fools that they worship nothing more than a rotting corpse!

#5 ebonybrotherhood

ebonybrotherhood

Blood Thirsty Psychopath

• Members
  • Others:
  • Pip
  • 167 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:02 PM

I would suggest getting two Heldrakes for your chaos army as they will slaughter anything that isn't 2+ save or 14 armor all around. Is your army foot slogging it? If so then you might want to consider getting a land raider for Kharn and his unit of Berserk. Tau would make good allies seeing as they are complete cheese if you know what to run. Another question are you wanting it to be competitive?

It does not need to be competitive, but it does need to be strong, and it would be preferable to use lots of AP2 long ranged weaponry, as the only people I have trouble beating use Lots of Termies.
Also, thinking of buying a defiler, as it is sort of cheap and can stomp on pretty much everything at ranged or close combat. Thoughts?

#6 DusteirTax

DusteirTax

Guardsmen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:38 PM

I'd go with tau if I ran chaos, close combat chaos and the range of the evil tau ten man battle suits that can shoot two plasma guns and then reroll misses oh it's F'ing possible
I allow the madness in but the difference between you and me is i dont let it take over. mostly

#7 ebonybrotherhood

ebonybrotherhood

Blood Thirsty Psychopath

• Members
  • Others:
  • Pip
  • 167 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:16 PM

I'd go with tau if I ran chaos, close combat chaos and the range of the evil tau ten man battle suits that can shoot two plasma guns and then reroll misses oh it's F'ing possible

that does sound like what I will end up doing, given Tau's long range and powerful weaponry, hopefully allowing me to gun down the things I cannot deal with in Close Combat, such as: Hordes of terminators, any long range powerful weapon, etc. Normally at the club I go to I do not have these problems, but there are a small group of select people I have trouble beating.

#8 Draco Ny'ade

Draco Ny'ade

Forgefather

• Interrogator
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:28 PM

It does not need to be competitive, but it does need to be strong, and it would be preferable to use lots of AP2 long ranged weaponry, as the only people I have trouble beating use Lots of Termies.
Also, thinking of buying a defiler, as it is sort of cheap and can stomp on pretty much everything at ranged or close combat. Thoughts?

EG: Me :)

Posted Image

#9 Authrix

Authrix

Chief Organ Thief

• Acolyte
  • Others: GWRS 2.0 Supporter
  • 3,926 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:41 PM

The way to beat Termies isn't AP2. Not most terminator lists anyway. Weight of fire is more effective. If it's Tactical terminators then AP2 and Weight of fire are pretty much as effective as each other. Just know that any standard terminators will ruin a Defiler.

You need your head examined - CruciasNZ

Authrix stop making me spill things on my laptop with what you post - Pony

I cannot oblige Pony.

Change Theme!