Photo

My Favorite Tank! (IRL)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 Iron K

Iron K

A Berserker's Soul in a Pacifist's Body!

• Premium Member
  • Others: GWRS 2.0 Supporter
  • 1,833 posts
  • Xbox Live:Iron K

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:59 AM

Since WoT gives one the ability to take the epic tanks of old into battle, both those you've loved from the history books, and some that you learn to love through the game, I thought this would be the best place to post something liken this.

Which one is your all time favorite Tank? Be it past or present, for aesthetic or power, or because it's just the biggest baddest mother-launcher that is. Post your choice, preferably some reasons for it, and discuss the awesomeness of other tanks.

And as always, as the Thread Starter, I get the privilege of sharing my favorite first! :P

[spoiler=Stridsvagn 103 (Strv 103), aka "The S-Tank"]
Posted Image

Swedish craftsmanship when it's at it's best!
Produced between 1967 and 1971, there were 290 made in four different variants.

Armor: 90-100 mm
Main armament: Bofors 105 mm L/62 rifled gun, with 50 rounds
Secondary armament: Two fixed 7.62 mm KSP 58 machine guns, and one anti-aircraft 7.62 mm KSP 58 machine gun
Engine: Detroit diesel 6V53T, 290 hp (216 kW) and Caterpillar 553 gas turbine, 490 hp (365 kW)

This tank is awesome! Specifically built and designed for defensive battle on Swedish soil, it is unique and one of a kind. Everything on this tank was custom made for it, and a bunch of things had to be re-invented for it to work as flawless as possible, among them the suspension.

Thanks to the missing turret it's just above 2 meters high, and combine that with the ability to actually dig it's own trench, and you have a minimal target with maximum firepower.

And what's even more awesome is that it is ranked nr 6 on Discovery Channels Greatest Tank!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCoodz13968
(Sorry about the Asian subtitles, but I'm guessing some of you can read it...)

The only weakness this tank have, is sadly a big one. Since it's built for defense, and specifically for the Scandinavian landscape (which it pretty damn unique (Not New Zealand unique, but still...)), it is only efficient at home. And a tank that can't attack, or work well in other surroundings will sadly fall short in a war away from home.

Regardless of the flaws, it's still my favorite tank of all time!
That being said, the foremost reason why I like it, is because I've actually sat in one of them. Not only that, I have driven one (swear to the Emperor, handles like a overloaded minibus! Didn't manage a 180 turn at top speed, but a 90 feelt pretty badass too!), loaded a shot, and blasted a bale of hey to kingdom come... So I might be a little biased. :P

>> Source <<
[/spoiler]

Posted Image

#2 JC 042

JC 042

Sons of The Fallen clan leader

• GWRS Governing Council
  • 9,552 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:50 AM

In my opinion it looks like a Stug with the turret on the wrong end and a garden fence attached to it :P

Posted Image

JC: 99% Anime, 1% hot gas

#3 Iron K

Iron K

A Berserker's Soul in a Pacifist's Body!

• Premium Member
  • 1,833 posts
  • Xbox Live:Iron K

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:23 PM

Well the StuG looks badass, and the S-Tank looks slightly more badass.. :D

Posted Image

#4 dx144

dx144

Amon Amarth, Sabaton, Red Army Choir and Ensiferum Fan

• Elite Member
  • Others: ,
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:37 PM

Hmm my favourite would either be the Panzer VI/Tiger or the T-34. All both basically change the field of battle. Then again they would become scrap if one side had Air Superiority...

The T-34 because it basically showed the Nazis that Russia had a significant advantage. I think no matter how many T-34s were destroyed in Operation Barbarossa the amount of T-34s being produced more were to arrive in a couple of days. Also Hitler wouldn't have made any intention to attack if he knew that the Soviet Union could produce thousands of tanks which could rival and beat any of the German Armour out of the field.

[Spoiler=T-34]
Posted Image
[/Spoiler]

The Tiger though was one of those tanks that made everyone on the opposing team hide and wait for something that can kill it. The Tiger didn't have slanted armour to increases its defence as it was already so thick there was no need for it to be slanted. There were also several Tiger Aces who were infamous amongst the Russians and Allies. These were tanks that basically had to have a bunch of enemy tanks to work in unison to even have a chance at taking the Tiger apart. Most of the time it was a coordinated strike to destroy the Tiger or the RAF or US Air Force would have destroyed them as they could rip through the armour.

Even the Tiger's presence on the field would make people want to run in fear because of its size and the fact no Allied armour would be able to withstand a round from a Tiger and all of the Tiger crews were expertly trained so their was a low chance of them failing. Initial released versions of the Tiger were know to have failures with their engines which was a problem but there still a 56ton monster with one of the most powerful weapons of the war.

[Spoiler=Tiger I]
Posted Image
[/Spoiler]

"You fiend, have I never encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church?" - The Baby-Eating Bishop of Bath and Wells

#5 JC 042

JC 042

• GWRS Governing Council
  • 9,552 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:50 PM

A10 loves the T-34, he's really annoyed though that it no longer defies the laws of physics :/

Posted Image

#6 dx144

dx144

• Elite Member
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:53 PM

Anything Russian defies the laws of physics!

"You fiend, have I never encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church?" - The Baby-Eating Bishop of Bath and Wells

#7 Armoured Priest

Armoured Priest

Man in the long black coat

• Administrators
  • Others: GWRS Governing Council
  • 10,192 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:02 PM

The tank that would never be...
LandKreuzer P.1000 Ratte

Why? Because even madmen should be allowed to dream.

Burning, Stabbing, Devouring, Changing, Resurrecting and creating in Sanctuary
We have such sights to show you...

SignatureBurias_zpsafd03a97.jpg

#8 dx144

dx144

• Elite Member
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:21 PM

Well I think I know what we need to get Priest for Christmas!

#9 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

Squeak Squeak Mother F***ers

• Administrators
  • Others: GWRS 2.0 Supporter, GWRS Governing Council
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:30 PM

Nr.5 Merkava Mk.4
Spoiler

Honourable Mention - Most Destructive
Spoiler

LandKreuzer P.1000 Ratte

Saw that one coming a mile off :D

Do Not XBL-Message or PM Me Website or Community Issues/Requests.
Use The Support Centre Instead!

cruSig2.jpg

#10 JC 042

JC 042

• GWRS Governing Council
  • 9,552 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:03 PM

LandKreuzer P.1000 Ratte

It sounds like something used to run over a Warhound Titan!

Posted Image

#11 Armoured Priest

Armoured Priest

Man in the long black coat

• Administrators
  • Others: GWRS Governing Council
  • 10,192 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:17 PM

Nah, not fast enough.
But...shooting one and making it into a wreck of a titan, maybe. :P

Burning, Stabbing, Devouring, Changing, Resurrecting and creating in Sanctuary
We have such sights to show you...

SignatureBurias_zpsafd03a97.jpg

#12 Draco Ny'ade

Draco Ny'ade

Forgefather

• Interrogator
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:45 PM

M48A1 Patton 3

Spoiler

why, because it is one of the most iconic MBT's made since the war, with a very accurate 105mm AT gun

or:

Leopard 1

Spoiler

see m48 reasoning

or:

T95

Spoiler

because it has a 155mm gun and over 300 millimetres of frontal plate (not including the gun mantle)
Posted Image

#13 An_A10_Pilot

An_A10_Pilot

Shenanigans Master!

• Premium Member
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:18 PM

A10 loves the T-34, he's really annoyed though that it no longer defies the laws of physics :/

Unfortunately Jc, I do not love the T-34. My WoT love belongs to the pre-nerfed T-50.

As for my favorite tank IRL. Hmm that is a tough one. Well, first off, fuck american WW2 tanks. They were mediocre tanks that were just mass produced. Hmm.

I'm going to say my favorite WW2 tank is a tie. My favorite post ww2 tank is an obvious one.

For WW2 tanks, I love the StuG III and the Panzer V (Panther)

Reason for Stug
Spoiler

Picture of somehwat close to how I would actually paint a stug.
Spoiler

My reasoning for the Panther
Spoiler

Now my favorite modern tank.
M1A2 Abrams MBT. It is my favorite simply because I've actually driven one.

Posted Image

"Sweet Tap-Dancing Night Lords, Batman!"

Change Theme!