• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 PlataDorf

PlataDorf

Meatshield

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:41 PM

i'm going to be doing a kingdom hearts Micky mouse Cosplay soon and according to JC someone on here called DtDante might have some advise for me on how to make the key-blade. if you do it would be gratefully appreciated and if you don't then i do not mind
PlataDorf, Glorified Meatshield In The Gothic Wars Since Apr 2013.

#2 DTdante2787

DTdante2787

I will never be a memory

• Interrogator
  • 1,886 posts
  • Xbox Live:dtdante2787
  • Steam:nightlorddante
  • Social Groups:Night Lords

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:38 PM

You rang? Show me a picture of the blade and I'll be able to better give you details and such

raptor_by_artimac-d4xg7cccopy_zps5623e7c

#3 JC 042

JC 042

Sons of The Fallen clan leader

• GWRS Governing Council
  • Others: GWRS 2.0 Supporter
  • 9,552 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:01 AM

[Spoiler=This is what he's looking to make:]Posted Image[/spoiler]

Posted Image

JC: 99% Anime, 1% hot gas

#4 DTdante2787

DTdante2787

I will never be a memory

• Interrogator
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:03 PM

Note: PLEASE read the whole post before starting. These are suggestions from how I would do it. Everyone has their own way of doing it, so keep that in mind

I'm a big fan of working with cardboard, but it's a tricky medium to work with to get good results with, so I'm gonna recommend craft foam. Alright, that out of the way, here's what you'll need

1. Heavy Gauge wire (this is the skeleton for your shapes)
2. Craft foam (several of the big sheets, can get at any good craft store)
3. A length of PVC (this is your main piece)
4. Chain and a clasp (these are both easy to find in the hardware store)[for the charm]
5. A large bottle of Elmer's white glue (you can find good size containers in the adhesives section in a hardware store, next to the paint normally)
6. Hot glue gun (and glue sticks)
7. 2x End caps for the PVC pipe (I know that's the wrong term, but you know what I mean and what to look for)
8. 1x Eye bolt

First drill out the holes to thread the wire through at the top and bottom. Bend the wire into an armature of the shape of the key up top and the guard at the bottom.

I personally would make patterns of the Key teeth and guard. Once they are the way you want them, trace the patterns onto the foam and cut them out. For the teeth, I would do a long piece if possible so there are no seams and it's one seamless piece. For the guard, I'd cut two separate pieces

Glue the endcaps to either end of the PVC pipe. You can use hot glue or PVC glue..it's up to you. Drill out the bottom side (guard end) to insert and glue the eye bolt..this is where you will attach the charm. Note: I would actually put a small piece of wood on the inside of the endcap prior to gluing it on. I'd then drill out the hole, and insert the eyebolt, THEN glue it onto the end of the pipe)

Sandwich the armature between the two pieces, lining them up. Once you are sure of the placement, use hot glue to glue it together. You can also use the glue to fill gaps. Your keyblade should look about 75% complete now.

Next part is gonna be REALLY messy, so do this on a tarp. Cover the foam parts in glue, spreading it around so there's an even coating. Do this on both sides several times. The goal here is to create a hard, non "mooshy" finish

When it is solid to the touch (not foamy anymore), you are ready to prime. Use automobile primer...it's a little more expensive, but worth the extra cost. It covers best when it comes to plastic

From there, paint it up with paint of your choice. I prefer spray paint, but as long as it sticks (and doesn't chip off), whatever works for ya. You could use black marine vinyl to wrap the handle for the leather look. The charm should be easy to make with chain, a clasp, and some scraps left over from making the main keyblade

Hope this helps, any more questions, just ask

http://alucard27.dev...rt.com/gallery/ Here's a link to my gallery to show some of my tips (in relation to my costume work) in action

#5 PlataDorf

PlataDorf

Meatshield

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:51 PM

thank you. this will be a big help, especially the tip to use a primer and how to do the chain bit. i have the design drawn out already and i need to wait till Sunday to get the materials. the stuff in your deviantart looks amazing

#6 PlataDorf

PlataDorf

Meatshield

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:34 AM

Posted Image

here it is all done. i ended up using insulation foam insted of craft foam because i have some exparience with it from school and i used pipe lagging and a thin PVC because it was what B&Q had that had the right diamiter. thank you so much for all your advise it was a great help.

#7 DTdante2787

DTdante2787

I will never be a memory

• Interrogator
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:27 PM

Good job mate...glad I could help

Change Theme!