Photo

Why precantage systems dont work well in tournaments and heavily favor CTF teams.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

#1 Master Romulous

Master Romulous

Dark Angels Chapter Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:22 PM

As the title states.

Say I beat Deathwatch this weekend in Seize ground by 1500 points in a 2500 point game. so i win by roughly 75%. Its granted in a sieze ground chapter match that the enemy team is going to get some points when its 2 organized teams against each other and your opponent is decent.

Then say I beat Deathwatch again in annihilation but this time lets say only by 10 kills so thats less than 10% to add to your total. Holding a shutout on Annihilation or keeping your opponent to less than 50% is almost impossible against anyone unless there absolute garbage. People are always going to die on both sides on Annihilation and each of those kills counts.

So now i have like a what? 85% lead in those 2 game modes after 2 victories and one that was pretty one sided.

Now if we go into CTF where you can run the clock out instead of scoring flags to keep a lead and not finish the game score wise you can get a 100% lead from....1.....flag..... so basicly if you only manage to cap 1 flag in CTF you can beat someone that beat you in 2 different games with atleast one of them not even being that close.

This is a broke system that heavily favors CTF main teams. Next time we do a tournament can we please just do traditional chapter match best 2 out of 3 instead of these tournaments instead of Tournaments that have point value systems that are bias towards certain game types.

I could understand if each flag was worth 20% in a 5 cap game or somethen like that but in a game type where shut outs can be pitched on a normal basis due to its nature and the fact you rando spawn (sometimes next to the enemy flag) I find this current system to be a bit broken.

Just sayen ;)
Posted Image

#2 xxxblackspider

xxxblackspider

Kasrkin

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:15 PM

I'll be watching this thread carefully
Posted Image

#3 ajar1189

ajar1189

Brother I am Pinned Here!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:24 PM

Lock this before the tacos get out of hand.

We all know the dark angels are cheaters anyways so we might as well disregard their opinion. 
Roms post does make sense though. For example, if you took the game we had against the space wolves, since the score was 1 to 0 we would have wom 100% to 0%, but if you actually watched the fight it was a lot closer to 50-50. Since ctf is the only gamemode with a time restriction, its the only one affected adversely by this percentage rule. It would make more sense if each cap was worth 20% since this is the only mode where a team wont necessarily reach the match limit.

Check out the app called Verge I Created: http://goo.gl/OFW1yl. It's only for android now, but will be out for iPhone in the near future!

It essentially allows you to share your location with your friends, family, coworkers, etc through a group in the app. You can find everyone in your group's location by pressing a button (assuming they respond to the request), and plot it on a map. From there you are given a point that is equidistant from everyone. With this you can find a place to search for and meet up and send this location to everyone in your group telling them thats where you want to meet. There's no need to enter any addresses, and all you need to do is click a few buttons.

#4 SpecSlaughter22

SpecSlaughter22

Bearer of the Redemption of St. Sulech

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:50 PM

true you could but how often are teams going to hold eachother to 1 point? in seieze you beat me 2500 to 500 you get 100 i get 20 you beat me again 150 to 75 you get 100 i get 50 then i beat you 1-0 i get 100 you get 0. to me that total looks like 200 to you and 170 to me. i dont kbow what your bitching about.  
it is legal to get one cap abd defend but seeing as the level of competition os at its highest i doubt that will happen
I do not forget.
I do not forgive.
I am always watching.
Expect me.
Posted Image

#5 ajar1189

ajar1189

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:49 PM

If you saw our match vs the spacewolves you would see it's 1-0, and we all know what the level of competition was there. It makes more sense to have it as a percentage of the limit, instead of percentage of one team vs. the other. In the cases of games with no time limit, one team will always have 100%, but in cases with a time limit it becomes 20% per flag capture so one team can have 60% and the other team 20%, etc. It makes more sense this way as games that turn out 1-0 or something similar aren't horribly imbalanced towards one team, especially if the game indicates that it was close (as was the case with our match against the space wolves). 
And if you think about it, a 50% win in seize ground or annihilation is a very decisive victory. If you can hold the other team to half as many points or kills, then you essentially obliterated them. However, a 1-0 or 2-1 capture the flag score does not indicate anything of the sort, but with percentage scoring being the way it is, it gives scoring to indicate such. However, a percentage scoring out of the limit would show that the game was actually closer than the 100% to 0% for a 1-0 game.

Check out the app called Verge I Created: http://goo.gl/OFW1yl. It's only for android now, but will be out for iPhone in the near future!

It essentially allows you to share your location with your friends, family, coworkers, etc through a group in the app. You can find everyone in your group's location by pressing a button (assuming they respond to the request), and plot it on a map. From there you are given a point that is equidistant from everyone. With this you can find a place to search for and meet up and send this location to everyone in your group telling them thats where you want to meet. There's no need to enter any addresses, and all you need to do is click a few buttons.

#6 XVulkan He'stanX

XVulkan He'stanX

1st founding member

• Members
  • Others:
  • PipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:45 PM

Yeah I agree with what you are saying about CTF being to heavily weighted. But to make a post about it before the match has even happened and the tourny not even over, seems a bit pointless considering the rules aren't changing for this tourny. And besides isn't that the point of having a great team is to be the best in all areas? Plus sarcastically saying that every body thinks dark angels are cheaters doesn't help you to improve your image, just polarizes people against you, by now people should know you dont.
INTO THE FIRES OF BATTLE UNTO THE ANVIL OF WAR!

#7 ajar1189

ajar1189

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:06 PM

Thats why he said for NEXT tournament. Obviously we still have the games to play, but we cant discuss anything about following tournaments at all anymore?

And im not trying to improve my image as frankly i dont care to be honest. No ones opinion is going to change no matter what i say so i might as well have some fun with it. And there are still plenty of people who claim we "cheat" or "hack" or any of that nonsense.

#8 XVulkan He'stanX

XVulkan He'stanX

1st founding member

• Members
  • Others:
  • PipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:20 PM

Listen I wasn't trying to argue with you I was just making a suggestion that I thought in my mind would help, I mean after all we are a community where people are supposed (at least pretend) to get along. Not a prison with different factions that all hate one another. But if you want to go all hard ass and don't mind stepping on everyone's toes that's fine also. Also that is why I said most people SHOULD know you don't cheat, not that they do.
And what's the point of posting this on the forums if your going to bite peoples head off every time someone has another opinion on the matter. This should be a discussion not a interrogation.

#9 Angron767

Angron767

RAGE

• Members
  • Others:
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:28 PM

There are no discussions on GothicWars. For there to be a discussion, people have to be willing to listen to one another.

On a side note, most people on here hate the Dark Angels anyway because they can't really beat us, so why should we care if step on people's toes, so to speak?
With blood and rage of crimson red,
Ripped from a corpse so freshly dead,
Together with our hellish hate,
We'll burn you all--That is your fate!

#10 xxxblackspider

xxxblackspider

Kasrkin

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:55 PM

noone hates the dark angels

Spoiler

Posted Image

#11 ajar1189

ajar1189

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:14 AM

Being a hard ass? Stepping on everyone's toes? Biting peoples' heads off? I don't know where you are getting any of this from because I was doing nothing of the sort. I was simply putting out an argument for why I think the weighting for CTF needs to change and you go off saying that we shouldn't be discussing things about this tournament and saying some shit about my sarcasm. I then respond saying that we're talking about the following tournaments and also with a response about what you said.

Nowhere there do I see anything about being a hardass or biting anyone's head off. This is how discussions work. I put forward a point as to what I think, you put forward a counterpoint, and then i provide a rebuttal (which is what happened). Me saying that I don't care what people think is true and is not me trying to be a "hard ass."

I play this game to have fun, it's as simple as that. I enjoy playing games with my friends, and I like making friends. I also enjoy winning games, but i'm not going to blow a gasket or cry because I lose. The majority of this community hates me and my friends. I'm not going to go cry or whine about it. Instead, i'll embrace it and forget those people because frankly its the internet and who cares about some idiot on the other side of the world who keeps on crying because you are using X tactic or whatever.

This is the only game/community that i've been a part of where there is so much petty hatred and resentment and shit. It's a fucking video game people, take a chill pill. Who cares if some team keeps winning over and over using whatever. There's no sense in bitching about it or holding grudges. Just play the game, practice, get better, and beat those people. I was a decent player when I started playing this game, but once I started playing with people better than myself I started to get better. Surround yourself with better people and you'll find that you rise to their level over time.

Anyways, let's break away from this idiotic tangent and keep it on topic about the scoring system.

#12 XVulkan He'stanX

XVulkan He'stanX

1st founding member

• Members
  • Others:
  • PipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:25 AM

Well then maybe I read to much into it then, never afraid to admit when I'm wrong. But your right keep this thread on track. Focus vulkan focus...

#13 ajar1189

ajar1189

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:29 AM

Sorry to go off on another tangent, but what you said Vulkan seems to be a prevailing problem throughout the Space Marine community. People have these preconceived notions about people being dicks, etc and sometimes it influences the input that they receive from others. This happens to me and it happens to others. I can see where you are coming from, because I know I can be a dick and a troll at times (mostly its because i'm just trying to have a laugh and make others laugh). Maybe you thought I was trolling or whatever, but I was just trying to make a point. I can be quite serious too, and it may be difficult for the reader to distinguish between the two. We just need to take stuff as they are on an individual basis and not let our preconceived notions cloud our judgement when reading something new.

#14 Angron767

Angron767

RAGE

• Members
  • Others:
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:41 AM

I'm of the opinion that it should be whoever wins the match or matches, as opposed to any kind of points of percentage sytem. I also agree that there should be rules to prevent people from spamming things like rapid or teleport homer in order to get easy victories.

#15 woodiestrain7

woodiestrain7

Champion of the 1st

• Members
  • Others:
  • 95 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:41 AM

Sorry to go off on another tangent, but what you said Vulkan seems to be a prevailing problem throughout the Space Marine community. People have these preconceived notions about people being dicks, etc and sometimes it influences the input that they receive from others. This happens to me and it happens to others. I can see where you are coming from, because I know I can be a dick and a troll at times (mostly its because i'm just trying to have a laugh and make others laugh). Maybe you thought I was trolling or whatever, but I was just trying to make a point. I can be quite serious too, and it may be difficult for the reader to distinguish between the two. We just need to take stuff as they are on an individual basis and not let our preconceived notions cloud our judgement when reading something new.

well stated padawan dont let the darkside cloud your judgement
:D

#16 ajar1189

ajar1189

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:44 AM

After playing Star Wars: The Old Republic, I prefer the Sith way of thought over the Jedi. Using your emotions and rage to fuel you (Sith) is more powerful (although more volatile) than being a stoic, emotionless warrior (Jedi). It's kind of similar to the Space Marine and Chaos way of thinking now that I think about it.

#17 Angron767

Angron767

RAGE

• Members
  • Others:
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:47 AM

You and me both, Ajar. :D

#18 Master Romulous

Master Romulous

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:14 AM

On a side note, most people on here hate the Dark Angels anyway because they can't really beat us, so why should we care if step on people's toes, so to speak?

I think this could have been worded with a bit more tact angy. ANGY I JUST THOUGH OF A NEW NICKNAME FOR YOU!!! ANGRY ANGY!

but anyways I think what angron is kinda getting at is if your going to constantly complain about us or shit talk us in your own party chats and word gets back to us about it via your own chapter members and we hear constant complaining literally on a daily basis... im dead serious.... a daily basis. We start to.. stop giving a you know what about being nice or friendly and just become casual dicks. Im not going to be nice to someone who is going to constantly complain all the time. Its just the way it is and it is frankly just getting old.

As ajar pointed out, we sharpen ourselves against the best players in the game to make ourselves better at the game. We do more call outs on the battlefield and play off each other more than any other group i've been around. So expect to see hammers and vl's and stalkers and las cannons because we utilize the best weapon combinations because we broke the game down to a science and go over all the game mechanics of each weapon system to use them to there full potential. And for all the effort we put into being competitive on a quote on quote "competitive 3rd person pvp shooter" We are harassed and called try hards among many other much more negative names.

I dont even know why im posting I mind as well talk to a brick wall, this is far from the first time we have had to go through and explain ourselves and with how things go it wont be the last either. But it really doesnt matter does it. So long as we dont do exactly what others want us to do or use weapon systems that are hard to beat we will hear constant complaining.

I digress.

Have a good night gentlemen.
Posted Image

#19 Angron767

Angron767

RAGE

• Members
  • Others:
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:38 AM

Meh, tact is wasted here.

#20 Master Romulous

Master Romulous

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:40 AM

Either way I believe we got our point across about what we think of the precantage system and its uses so i have nothing further to say.

DOUBLE DRAGONS ANGRON! oh wait... its not MULTIPLAYER!
Posted Image

Change Theme!