• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 Larchus

Larchus

Meatshield

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:24 AM

My favorite mod for Dawn of War, it not only adds almost every codex unit (barring the new Wardian Necrons) but it also changes the rules to be more like the Warhammer 40k rules (within reason, of course). The mod opens up several new play-styles to choose from, several sub-types for every faction you play as, and generally has a much different feel from Dawn of War.

Units behave in a much more realistic fashion. A plasma gun really will kill a Space Marine in 1 - 2 shots, and you can only have a maximum of 2 plasma guns a squad, however, ballistic skill also applies to this mod, meaning that a Plasma Gun wielded by a guardsman won't be as accurate as one wielded by a Space Marine. Melta Bombs are common, not just exclusive to Assault Marines, and they do as much damage as in the book, meaning it only takes about 2 of them to explode a tank, one if you're lucky. Damage-per-hit is also randomized between two numbers, which adds the luck element. A las-cannon may hit a tank and merely glance a bit of it's health away, but sometimes it may blow it up entirely with a devastating critical hit. Basically, it all applies like in the Rule book.

As I said, though, it's within reason. It's not WORD FOR WORD like the Codex is, because you can't take units from a turn-based game and move them stat-for-stat to an RTS, but in my honest opinion, it does the best job of doing so. It has that Tabletop feel, without going way too far (as Tabletop "One Railgun Blast Will Cook Your Leman Russ from Across The Map" Round-up did).

I've prattled enough, here's a link to the mod itself.
Look at this fucking scrub, he doesn't even have a Warhammer avatar!
Posted Image

#2 Bayard

Bayard

night lord tactical

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:56 AM

I love the fire storm over Kronos mod. My favorite part is that basalik artllery acts like artillery now and heavy weapons actually do what heavy weapons are ment to do and squads act the way real squads would act in real combat and like on the table top and every thing seems more realistic
Night Lord tactical of Death Claw

#3 Larchus

Larchus

Meatshield

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:39 PM

I will admit that the heavy weapons guys that follow Guardsmen around are a bit awkward, but they give guardsman squads the much needed punch they were lacking in vanilla. Guardsmen actually stand a chance against tanks now.

I love how the new Sentinels work, now. The sentinels aren't completely useless anymore. Two sentinel squadrons with plasma cannons is a Space Marine's nightmare. Their maneuverability and versatility make them my favorite Guard light vehicles. And lets not forget how there are more leman russ tanks than you'll ever know what to do with.
Look at this fucking scrub, he doesn't even have a Warhammer avatar!
Posted Image

Change Theme!