1 reply to this topic

#1 Domine Nox

Domine Nox

Regent of Ultramar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:39 AM

Okay for those new to Vassal here is a quick little tutorial.

First of all you open Vassal and import your 40k of BFG mod. It will then be added to a menu looking like this.

Posted Image

I selected Warhammer 40k. When that opens you will see a menu, kind of like a toolbar that looks like this.

Posted Image

We next go to File -> Newgame -> Board (I chose 6x4) -> Then pick a Terrain type for your game.

Posted Image

This will initiate the "game" and you will be prompted to choose whether you are an observer or player in this menu.

Posted Image

I chose Player 1, you should work out ahead of time who is player 1 and who player 2. Once you have chosen this your toolbar will have changed. Most notably you will see Player 1 and Player 2 are now on the toolbar.

Posted Image

I'm going to go ahead and click on Player 1, because that's what I chose. That opens a new window that looks like this.

Posted Image

I am going to put this off to the side for now, but we will be right back to that as we are going to need to that assemble our army. Going back to the main toolbar you will see a button labeled models.

Posted Image

We are going to click this which will open a new segment on your toolbar.

Posted Image

You can see it on the left there. It has several drop down menus. You may have to adjust the window size to suit your tastes. They can be dragged to be taller/shorter or wider/narrower. Currently it is on Army: Chaos Daemons, Unit Type: HQ, Alignment: Khorne, Unit: Herald of Khorne. He'll work for our demo. Bringing your Player 1 window you opened back (Remember that window?) We are now going to click on the image of the Herald of Khorne and drag him into the grey area of the player 1 window as seen below.

Posted Image

You can now do this as much as you need to by manipulating the menus and putting your army in the grey area. Now we can't have generic models, they must be unique. If you right click on your model a menu similar to this will appear.

Posted Image

This is how you will differentiate special members of a unit, or ensure your model represents the equipment you put in your army list. The Herald of Khorne here only seems to have one option, but in this same general area you would find Exarch Powers, Psychic Powers, or alternate weapons.

http://i12.photobuck...er/Features.png

If you need to make a change and have many guys that match that change, there is the helpful clone option that makes an exact duplicate of the targeted model right on top of the original. You just click and drag the new one off the old.

http://i12.photobuck...ander/Clone.png

You can then examine and make sure that your options are correct on your models by mousing over them and holding. A little bar will then show up giving info on the model. This works in game too on enemy models so you can accurately tell what everything is.

http://i12.photobuck...Showdetails.png

There we go, play around with all of that and you should be able to put together an army for Vassal. To play with them you just move them from the Player 1 (or 2) area onto the Table, but that's for another day.

Posted Image

Nolo mihi libet sis multo felis.

#2 Domine Nox

Domine Nox

Regent of Ultramar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:06 PM

Posted Image

Nolo mihi libet sis multo felis.

Change Theme!