Photo

Do 1v1's increase you overall gaming skill?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#1 Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Death Guard Warmaster

• Elite Member
  • Others: ,
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:05 PM

I just wanted to start a discussion about 1v1's and how they effect a players overall skill. I personally think that 1v1's MASSIVLY improve overall player skill in team games. Think about it, if you 1v1 often you learn to adapt to other playstyles and be more versatile as you are constantly faced with different classes and you have no team to rely on so you have to deal with it yourself and learn. If you learn to not depend on a team when your on seize ground for example you will be able to hold a point against 3-4 people easily for a period of time by yourself meaning your team can concentrate on other objectives. If you notice almost all top tier players on this game 1v1 often. Coincidence? I think not.

I don't think Farther's For Justice will allow you in the protest where you will be running around on a really high roof while pissed off your face

#2 Iron K

Iron K

A Berserker's Soul in a Pacifist's Body!

• Premium Member
  • Others: GWRS 2.0 Supporter
  • 1,833 posts
  • Xbox Live:Iron K

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:41 PM

I do think you improve much more during 1v1's. I could ramble on and on about it, but I will choose to instead formulate myself with a old saying.

"If you want to become better at chess, play against better players.."

Posted Image

#3 Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Death Guard Warmaster

• Elite Member
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:14 PM

Damn right. Go into a game you know you'll lose but expect to win. If that makes sense...

I don't think Farther's For Justice will allow you in the protest where you will be running around on a really high roof while pissed off your face

#4 Opeth Of Epica

Opeth Of Epica

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:06 PM

Yes, yes, and more yes.

They're so many reasons why and it should be done more often.

#5 JACCX023

JACCX023

Guardian of the kitchen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:31 PM

mmmmm cant really say something i dont 1v1 to much but yes i guess it does help your skills to outtake any circunstances you may have while fighting alone anyways im more of a team player i have always said no body can be a one man army

mehhhh im always up for a change soo if anyone wishes to try and teach me one thing or 2 go ahead
A true warrior is never afraid to employ more unconventional tatics!
Posted Image

#6 Paladin Xenos

Paladin Xenos

For The Horde!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:57 PM

no, 1v1's do not increase skill level, being able to operate efficiently and communicate with a team is the true measure of skill. I've found that good lone wolves are usually garbage when it comes to team tactics.
Posted Image

#7 CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ

Squeak Squeak Mother F***ers

• Administrators
  • Others: GWRS 2.0 Supporter, GWRS Governing Council
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:06 AM

Paladin beat me to it

Do Not XBL-Message or PM Me Website or Community Issues/Requests.
Use The Support Centre Instead!

cruSig2.jpg

#8 Paladin Xenos

Paladin Xenos

For The Horde!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:08 AM

Paladin beat me to it

<3 you crucias :D
Posted Image

#9 dx144

dx144

Amon Amarth, Sabaton, Red Army Choir and Ensiferum Fan

• Elite Member
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:10 AM

I am terrible in 1v1s =P

I can play and rack up some nice scores when I have some meat shields... I mean Team mates backing me up.

But it is a team effort. I have held points practically by myself from three or four enemies. I might kill one or two but would have held them off but because I rarely chat in public lobbies when I don't know people in there I just have to hope they know what they are doing.

Usually they do not and say you take their home point you split their attack forces in half your team doesn't make the advance that was needed.

I prefer team games. That is why I prefer an objective game but playing 1v1 is something I am terrible at. The only time I managed to win one was against Ragtag somehow =P

Might just vary from one person to another as someone could learn a lot from a 1v1 where as another might as well ran into a brick wall and killed some brain cells =P

Perhaps there is no right answer or right answer just whatever makes someone good at the game. I think just learning how to use your chosen weapon works best.

When I first picked up a twin bolter I was an idiot with it. After a few games managed to work my KD from an equal to a nice positive while capping points and stuff.

I use a stalker bolter and countless people have stolen my loadout and fire too fast making most of the shots miss and then if you wait a second or so you can get a quick couple of headshots and kill them.

Storm/Twin Bolters require you be constantly moving and burst firing at your opponent. Especially with Twin Link. You become a much deadlier threat.

Usually two guys covering each other become a much worse threat. A lascannon and Stalker is a deadly mix. One lascannon shot then three - one stalker rounds and your dead.

All I need to do now is get the Plasma Cannon and Vengeance Launcher perks/challenges done and all the online achievements for me are done.

"You fiend, have I never encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church?" - The Baby-Eating Bishop of Bath and Wells

#10 LeadCrazySam

LeadCrazySam

Hero of #GothicWars

• Premium Member
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:16 AM

I think it does. But I suck in randoms.

Posted Image

#11 BANEofDAEMONS

BANEofDAEMONS

BANEofDAEMONS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:15 AM

I agree that 1on1s do make u better as a warrior but it may infact hurt your ability to function with a team. I dont care for 1 on 1 not to mention i suk im for the team aspect but that doesnt mean i depend on anybody in a match in order for me to get the job done anyone whos played with me knows im usually doing my own thing anyways. I know its ironic
Posted Image

#12 Commander Mongo

Commander Mongo

Lord Commander: Death Korps of Krieg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:10 AM

My 2 cents:
One v ones can and do have an ability to improve a players overall skill, it however can also hinder and hamper effectiveness and skill progression. (an example: it can lead to "tunnel vision " and or inconsistent overall tactical awareness.)
Someone's grandmother said it best:
"everything in moderation "

It should also be noted that the so called "lone wolf" players, indeed are benefited by 1v1 training, and some, if given the right mentor and focus on situational awareness, and a good dose of zen multitasking, can not only change the tides of a firefight, but dictate the flow of the entire game. We have quite a few here on gothic, usually with "XO" or "Faction Leader" tags by thier names.....
Sorry, I didn't read all the replys but I did catch one kinda looking down on lone wolves, and as one, wanted to point that out. Lol

#13 ajar1189

ajar1189

Brother I am Pinned Here!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:30 AM

1v1s are something to do when you are bored. At least its more fun than beating up on randos.

Check out the app called Verge I Created: http://goo.gl/OFW1yl. It's only for android now, but will be out for iPhone in the near future!

It essentially allows you to share your location with your friends, family, coworkers, etc through a group in the app. You can find everyone in your group's location by pressing a button (assuming they respond to the request), and plot it on a map. From there you are given a point that is equidistant from everyone. With this you can find a place to search for and meet up and send this location to everyone in your group telling them thats where you want to meet. There's no need to enter any addresses, and all you need to do is click a few buttons.

#14 Opeth Of Epica

Opeth Of Epica

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:27 AM

mmmmm cant really say something i dont 1v1 to much but yes i guess it does help your skills to outtake any circunstances you may have while fighting alone anyways im more of a team player i have always said no body can be a one man army

mehhhh im always up for a change soo if anyone wishes to try and teach me one thing or 2 go ahead

I'll be up for one, it'll be fun :).

no, 1v1's do not increase skill level, being able to operate efficiently and communicate with a team is the true measure of skill.

Fuck.................no. It's a important aspect, but that aspect is far more of a effort of muitiple people and whether the team suits his or her's strengths.

I repect a team for being able to work in unsion as if it was a chorepgraphed play. I repect a player for his skills fighting in a team game but mostly whether they can fight in 1v1 combat, where back up and objectives are no where in sight.

#15 Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Death Guard Warmaster

• Elite Member
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:48 AM

I just see it as this: I 1v1 quite often and I think that my 1v1ing has highly contributed to my skill level.

As for what was being said about 1v1's damaging how you play as a team: look as myself, look at Opeth, look at DeesoDee, look at Lead crazy Sam, look at Lord Airiok, look at woodiest rain, look at Mr. Dots. What do we all have in common? We all either still do or used to 1v1 all the time.
Are you saying the people I just listed are bad team players? If you are I seriously suggest you really think on that one.

You know what else all these people have in common? Almost every game, and I'm not talking about randoms, I mean a full on A-team vs A-team chapter match, they all walk away with the best scores. How can that mean their bad team players?

I also think 1v1's increase your survivability.

Take Airiok for example: he can go to the enemy home point against good players and keep at least three of them there for a good while effectively taking almost half the enemy team out of the game by himself. You really saying that's a bad team player?

Take Opeth: he can hold a point by himself against good players for a good while until he is re-enforced. Is that a bad team player?

Take DeesoDee: he can attack an enemy point, kill 3-4 guys and then vanish and show up at another point and do the same thing. This spreads confusion, induces rage and gives his teammates time to move up. Is that really a bad team player?

The three players I just used as examples all 1v1 (I know Airiok doesn't anymore but he used to all the time). Is it a coincidence that they are all amazing team players? I highly doubt that.

#16 dx144

dx144

Amon Amarth, Sabaton, Red Army Choir and Ensiferum Fan

• Elite Member
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:14 PM

Lies. Ariocky is shit. He gets killed by a butterknife all the time.... Love you Ariocky ;)

"You fiend, have I never encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church?" - The Baby-Eating Bishop of Bath and Wells

#17 Lord Ariok

Lord Ariok

Chaos Lord

• GWRS Governing Council
  • 2,772 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:17 PM

yeah ok Dx. and fuzzy you have a point but in the end its all down to personal preferance some people feel better suited to killing randoms and finding better ways to overcome all odds and people like one vs ones because they can focus more and adapt to a playstyle they find tricky
Posted Image

#18 Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Death Guard Warmaster

• Elite Member
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:20 PM

True but I'm not talking about randoms, I'm talking about going up against A class players that know their shit and still walking away on top.

#19 Talos Valcoran

Talos Valcoran

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • 1,202 posts
  • Xbox Live:Archmage Talos
  • PSN:Morgoth1100
  • Social Groups:Raven Guard

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:49 AM

I wouldn't know, haven't been in a 1v1 yet.

If you win, you live. If you lose, you die. If you don't fight, you can't win! - Eren Yaeger (Attack on Titan)

#20 LeadCrazySam

LeadCrazySam

Hero of #GothicWars

• Premium Member
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:58 AM

1v1? :)

Posted Image

Change Theme!